CAPE EPIC 2007

Hawk

Did the Epic in 2006.

Got the bike the Friday and pitched up the next morning for the start.....NOT CLEVER!!

Tips from my side:

The first thing to go of the avg. Epic ryder is his knees.  Do a proper bike set-up.  Shoe set-up.  Cleats.

Pack per day.  8 x Zipp lock bags with your days clothing, sweets, food, bars, pills, gu's, drinks(small zipp lock backs measured before hand and just poored in bottle), etc...etc..Every day you just open your bag and all is ready.  No worries if you forgot something!

Shammy Cream is your friend!!

Quick dry towel.  You can find them at Cape Union Mart or Due South

After the ride, get cleaned as quickly as possible and go for an afternoon nap.  Helps a lot!!

ENJOY THE RIDE!!!!!

Good luck!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the Epic in 2006.

Got the bike the Friday and pitched up the next morning for the start.....NOT CLEVER!!

You got a new bike the Friday or just your serviced bike?

Oh hell yeah. The beer box (snake pit) was kept stocked with ice cold Cobra beer all the time! Also I had a god exchange program going on with Tyrone (from Action) swapping beer for Brandy and coke' date=' actually didn't do that to much, it tastes quite bad![/quote']

"snake pit" LOLLOL

You had a deal with the Epic people supplying the Cobra beer?...they had LOTSA packs of Cobra left after that Epic, even a year later. 

We weren't fortunate enough for that luxury, we were dehydrated after every day.  During the day we didn't get much chance of taking a sip....I had a stupid/embarrassing moment Embarrassed: I was in such a rush I just grabbed the my Powerade bottle filled with water (that I saw in the corner of my eye) DeadDead it was the wrong bottle, the one with anticeptic soap dilution (Jayes blue, or something like that), YUCK!  Well, since then they got other bottles to keep the soap in

So, any chance you going to Epic this year?

"snake pit" LOLLOL

You had a deal with the Epic people supplying the Cobra beer?...they had LOTSA packs of Cobra left after that Epic' date=' even a year later. 

[/quote']

Well that wasn't for a lack of trying.

So' date=' any chance you going to Epic this year?
[/quote']

Not sure yet, might be riding might be backing up a team, might just decide stuff and not do any of the above.

You?

Well basicly it was new.
I had the bike for 4 days, handed it back for a service and received it the Friday.

We road around in knysna with a set of allenkeys, stopping every 5 km for to adjust the seatpost/seat/handlebars.......Was hillarious.

Untill Friday my team mate did not even SAW his bike!!  LOL

You're not supposed to saw your bike ever. Only your steerer tube and maybe handlebars if they're too long! Tongue

"snake pit" LOLLOL

You had a deal with the Epic people supplying the Cobra beer?...they had LOTSA packs of Cobra left after that Epic' date=' even a year later. 

[/quote']

Well that wasn't for a lack of trying.

Oh really?! 

"Not sure yet' date=' might be riding might be backing up a team, might just decide stuff and not do any of the above.

You?
[/quote']

If all goes well I will be there, definitely!  Not riding though, not up for that one yet...rather do the trial ride Big%20smile  You waiting for an entry?

You're not supposed to saw your bike ever. Only your steerer tube and maybe handlebars if they're too long! Tongue

Just when I thought I had haveth a good run on the Inglish thing.  BUGGER.Embarrassed

Just when I thought I had haveth a good run on the Inglish thing.  BUGGER.Embarrassed

Jammer....kon die versoeking nie weerstaan nie! Wink

Well basicly it was new.
I had the bike for 4 days' date=' handed it back for a service and received it the Friday.

We road around in knysna with a set of allenkeys, stopping every 5 km for to adjust the seatpost/seat/handlebars.......Was hillarious.

[/quote']

Eish! Confused  Several riders (and I mean quite a bit) make the mistake of riding a brand new bike at the Epic.  And new shoes are also a huge mistake, a slight change in your cleets position can mean the end of the Epic within a few days.

I can imagine you had no proper loosener that day stopping for adjustments every now and then. Were your bikes' settings done by the next morning? LOL

Jammer....kon die versoeking nie weerstaan nie! Wink

Jis, maar jy's skerp vandag!! LOL

Ti....i've been in short' date=' hysterical fits of laughter all morning from reading Cyanide and Happiness![/quote']

Yeah, the irreverant humour is quite entertaining! I like the way they have a go at everyone!

Mintsauce: go look at the "squeeze" t-shirts on the site. Thats what I wanted to do to jellytot and SARA on Sunday LOL

You waiting for an entry?

Not sure what I'm waiting for yet, was supposed to race in the mixed cat but my potential partner has other things on her mind at the moment.