CAPE EPIC 2007

Hawk

1. I know it's been said before but take brake pads! Put them in a little zip loc baggie and put the baggie into you Camel bak, you may not need them but if you do you're gonna be real happy that they're there.

2. Make sure your bike is in perfect condition when you get to the Epic, day 2 when all the backup crews are pulling all nighters is not the time to get your bike completley rebuilt (I know I was on one of those backup crews).

3. The food you get from the organisers is not gonna be enough, take food you can eat as soon as you finish (a recovery drink like Sterri Stumpie Chocolate) and bars.

4.When you're riding eat and drink, when you're not riding eat and drink.

5. Make sure you know how to do most of the needed work on your bike before you get there. There will be people offering to wash your bike, what they were doing last time is making sure the tyres were real clean, nice but not very useful.

6. Ride off road alot, skills are learnt and improved off road not on.

7. Invest in a few pairs of good shorts, the best money can buy, as well as an anti chafe cream of some description. You won't regret this.

8. Have fun.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2005 worked the bloody thing with Bowmans. Learnt that it's something I don't want to do in a hurry again, maybe look after 1 or 2 teams but not like that!

It's hard work, I know. So you were part of the poor people working all day and all night, blowing up tubes untill they burst just to stay awake?!

I was indeed the instigator of that, and we weren't blowing up tubes, we were actually blowing up tubeless tyres and it wasn't too stay awake it was for the pure pleasure of blowing something up! Was good fun actually! If the people actually new the half of what was going on!

Its a good thing to speak to the "pro" guys or the guys who do the Epic as a RACE.

However, its a totally different "race" and mindset thats applicable to us who just wann'a do and finish the race.

So, If you would like to ease your mind regarding training, DO NOT COMPARE your training with the 20 - 35 hours they do a week. Its going to put more doubt in your mind.

I'm not a "know the epic" guy. but, I did the 2006 one on the hard way. I baught my first MTB (in my life) on the 2nd of Feb 2006, and did it, I never asked the Pro racers for advice, but only listen to the other guys that made out the last half of the field. Thoose guys is the guys that knows how to survive the epic.

Well, do tell more Big%20smile...sounds like you're the master of fun WinkLOL

So you will also remember those horrible crickets in VilliersdorpConfused

Well' date=' do tell more Big%20smile...sounds like you're the master of fun WinkLOL

So you will also remember those horrible crickets in VilliersdorpConfused
[/quote']

Yeah, I also remember the strip show and photo session in Montagu, zip ties were involved! Lots of incriminating evidence came out of that, now that was fun! The lady who was performing went very red in the face the next morning when our whole backup crew arrived with our own zip ties! Ah, the good times.

Yeah' date=' I also remember the strip show and photo session in Montagu, zip ties were involved! Lots of incriminating evidence came out of that, now that was fun! The lady who was performing went very red in the face the next morning when our whole backup crew arrived with our own zip ties! Ah, the good times.
[/quote']

Confused  don't remember this, but I had a few guys stripping too...EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

I'm sure you guys were hanging around the showers drooling, apparently their were a ladies team (German or Dutch) that had no shame, stripping completely to o'natural before entering the showers...gave quite a few riders the umph to get to the finish line as fast as possible just to have a free show every dayLOL

Oh no, the strip show wasn't some skanky dutch people finishing the race it was a proper one! I mean the good stuff!

Sies vir jou, and here I thought you were working so hard at the Epic, meanwhile you're just watching 'shows'! Wink

We were working hard, how do you think we stayed awake with about 2 hours of sleep a night and none on the first night? Beer and nakedness, a recipe that can cure all ills!

LOLLOLLOL

"beer & nakedness"....well we had quite a bit of nakedness, beer was missing and we barely could stay awake...you think beer is maybe the key factor in this cure of yours?WinkLOL

Oh hell yeah. The beer box (snake pit) was kept stocked with ice cold Cobra beer all the time! Also I had a god exchange program going on with Tyrone (from Action) swapping beer for Brandy and coke, actually didn't do that to much, it tastes quite bad!

Hawk

1. Get in some long back to back training rides on your MTB. As long as youhav spent enough time in the saddle training you should be able to complete the distance comfortably.

2. Look after your butt. Assos chamios cream worked wonders for me (i know it is pricey but it's a small cost in the greater scheme of things).

3. Eat and drink properly. Early and often.

4. Protien shake after each day's ride.

5. Massage - at least every second day - more if you can afford it.

6. Most important of all - enjoy it with your buddy.