UST Tyre recommendations

Thug

I'm not a beginner, but I do ride lots of technical, rocky singletrack. Cut 5 Pythons sidewalls before gicing up on them. Stubborn A$$!

The Bonty Jones are very nice treads. Just stopped using them actually. Very low rolling resistance. Sidewalls not the best. Cut fairly easy as well, but slightly better than Pythons. Cornering is very good. Don't have huge experience with tyres, but I would think it's prob one of the best all-round tyres out there, right Ti?

Switched to the Kenda Nevegals just over a week ago. These things are the duck's nuts! Slightly higher rolling resistance than the Bonty's. These 2.1s are the same size as the Bonty 2.3s. Sidewalls seem to be solid as a house judging by the lack of damage from riding some rooty, rocky ST. What i mean is that stuff that would leave visible scrathes on the Bonty's left nothing more than a rub mark on them. The rubber compound just seems tougher and more durable and resistant to sharp objects and surface scratches.

Cornering is BEAUTIFUL! Haven't found the end of their grip yet and am definietly carrying more speed than i did on the Bontys. With the Bontys i'd often feel the back start to lose it's hold, sometimes the front, sometimes both. No problem there....it's part of riding hard and fast and i love a good, controlled two-wheel slide. It's just that i'm pushing harder but haven't reached that point with the Nevegals yet. Incredibly stable under mid-corner braking as well. They just hold the line.

If you're willing to sacrifice a bit i.t.o. rolling resistance you will LOVE these tyres! SWEET, SWEET TREADS!

Read on MTBR that they were not compatible with Stan's. Shane at Bowman's said it'd be fine. Lost some air on the first two rides but they seem to have settled and are doing just fine now.

Until something significantly better comes along these things are not leaving my bike!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I run a Bonty Jones on the front and find it to be ideal practice for the ice rink.

Titi and Minty, what are you boys doing to get some grip out of those thing. Are you coating them with special chemicals to soften the rubber?

I run mine at 25psi and still no frikkin grip...

They roll wonderfully fast though :)

Nevegals are the dogs gonads though...

ps. Running a standard on the back with a Blue Groove Stick E on the front. Leave the Stick E off the back. Apparently if you do big mileage you'll be buying a new back tyre every two weeks!

Hi Lefty....what sort of terrian do you ride?

Like i said, i did find them to be slightly loose in fast cornering. If you rode Nevegals before i can see how it would feel like they had very little grip though! Did you switch from Nevgls straight to Jones?

Nah, I used the Specialized Fast Track 2Bliss before them and they too are a little squirrely at the limit.

judging by the response to the Nevegals maybe I should take my chances with the Stans & try them out.

I see that Kenda make Tubeless versions of both the Nevegal & Small Block 8 Big%20smile

Small Block 8 in a 2.1 & 1.95 size and the Nevegal in a 2.1

Now to find out prices.......

A bit off topic, or maybe not. Being new to this whole off-road business I was wondering of race organisers or even trail "owners" give info on which kind of tire works best for their race/trail. It will be cool if you can know before hand if you must have more knobbies or can go for something less aggressive.

A bit off topic' date=' or maybe not. Being new to this whole off-road business I was wondering of race organisers or even trail "owners" give info on which kind of tire works best for their race/trail. It will be cool if you can know before hand if you must have more knobbies or can go for something less aggressive.

[/quote']

There is probably quite a number of factors that determine which tyres work best and don't forget that the weather also plays a part in tyre selection.

I see that Kenda make Tubeless versions of both the Nevegal & Small Block 8 Big%20smile

Small Block 8 in a 2.1 & 1.95 size and the Nevegal in a 2.1

Now to find out prices.......

Like I said before, I know alot of people who are riding the Nevegal's almost all of them are riding with Stan's, it takes a little longer to seal to a proper air tight seal but that's about it, there is a tubeless version of these as well. Damn good tyres! Still gotta get some for my bad boy, that will be happening soon.

Damn good tyres! Still gotta get some for my bad boy' date=' that will be happening soon.[/quote']

Last week you thought that 'she' hated you. This week you wanna get some tyres for your 'badboy'.

She swings both ways...?

It's what I call her every now and then but yeah we're friends again.

-- Besides I'm not the one with the swinger rear end?

Hahahaaa....that little issue is being sorted as we 'speak'. My Fox rr shock was mailed yesterday! Can't wait! Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile 

Hahahaaa....that little issue is being sorted as we 'speak'. My Fox rr shock was mailed yesterday! Can't wait! Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile 

I still need to sort my DU bushing as well, just haven't got around to it. Bad me.

All righty, ordered a 2.1 Nevegal UST tyre from my LBS yestersday, with luck it should arrive today.

Price was R430 vs R300 for the normal DTC.

Sounds about right, you could run the normal DTC but running proper UST's is also a good option. Let us no how things go and what you think?