Bike Service .....

DRIVETRAIN

Big%20smile

I need to have my bike serviced thoroughly very soon - new tyres / cables and a new chainring --- (old one missing teeth) etc ..

I've been looking at alternative Cable Housing (if that's the right term) - I saw some bikes with ribbed housing in silver/gold & black etc.... On pricing the silver set I was quoted R570 .. (teflon coated, apparently) ...

I really didn't think it was that expensive ....

anyway anyone here willing to offer some advice / where I can get it and maybe U might just know someone or have some U'd like to get off your hands ??????

"DTBig%20smile"

use the cheap cables and housing and just keep them lubed and clean.

go do a R300 bike mech course at singletrack bike shop and start servicing your own bike.

it is a lot of fun and very rewarding

Do it yourself to start off with. And don't bother with this aftermarket bling cable housing. Buy Shimano SIS housing off the roll, about 2m, and get XTR cable. Note, not the complete set but just the loose cable.

Big%20smile

I need to have my bike serviced thoroughly very soon - new tyres / cables and a new chainring --- (old one missing teeth) etc ..

I've been looking at alternative Cable Housing (if that's the right term) - I saw some bikes with ribbed housing in silver/gold & black etc.... On pricing the silver set I was quoted R570 .. (teflon coated' date=' apparently) ...

I really didn't think it was that expensive ....

anyway anyone here willing to offer some advice / where I can get it and maybe U might just know someone or have some U'd like to get off your hands ??????

"DTBig%20smile"
[/quote']

ConfusedDead 

I agree with Mampara.

Doing my own maint is a great way to get outta the house and at least I know exactly what is being done to my bike.

It may be old, but it is still in great nick.

+1 for doing it yourself. If you don't know the difference between a screwdriver and a hammer though, then rather phone Mikes Bikes for a booking, 011 888 8868. 

Phone Magnus rather for a decent service, he doesn't bullsh*t you when he works on your bike

He will be a machanic for a Pro SA team next year

Crankshop in Pretoria is where you can find him

Yup, gotta agree there... learn to do the basics (and some not so basics) properly, and befriend a good mechanic for things beyond your capabilities or tooling budget. Your bike will get what it needs on a more regular basis and last you a lot longer.

If you don't want to do it yourself...the best place to get your bike properly serviced where they strip it to the frame and go through everything, is Mikes Bike shop in Greenside, Gauteng.

They better then any other place I have been!!!Smile

• 1 year later...

<DIV> </DIV>

<DIV>Johan Borman... on this forum...</DIV>

<DIV> </DIV>

What is his HUB name. cannot find Johan Borman

Is there anywhere or anyone or anyplace in Durban that does these sorts of Bike Mech service courses. Its driving me crazy not being able to do my own servicing & repairs :(

Is there anywhere or anyone or anyplace in Durban that does these sorts of Bike Mech service courses. Its driving me crazy not being able to do my own servicing & repairs :(

Get yourself a copy of Zinn and the art of mountainbike maintenance and invest in a couple of tools, that should get you going and is very rewarding. Try kalahari.net

http://www.kalahari.net/books/Zinn-the-Art-of-Mountain-Bike-Maintenance/657/28153332.aspx

Get yourself a copy of Zinn and the art of mountainbike maintenance and invest in a couple of tools, that should get you going and is very rewarding. Try kalahari.net

http://www.kalahari.net/books/Zinn-the-Art-of-Mountain-Bike-Maintenance/657/28153332.aspx

My wife bought me the Park Tools Blue Bible - Im scard/nervous I'll cock something up(even with a Engineering background) I need to be shown at least once :( Im thinking of just biteing the bullet, pay the R2500 and go see John Bornmen for this training course :)