Sani Pass Transfrontier Mountain Bike Epic

Guest Agteros

Guest Agteros

How big was the field?

The biggest number on number board I saw was 81 ...

There was some speak of tarring Sani-pass' date=' is that still going to happen ?

[/quote']

"This year's event has had to be changed to accommodate the very slow

progress beng made with tarring the road to the Sani Pass Hotel. Work

is still being done on the section from the Himeville Crossroads to the

Sani Pass Hotel and the road engineer in charge of this section has

refused the event access to this part of last year's route." http://www.sanitransfrontier.co.za/

They talk about it here.

I hope they don't as it is really a lost frontier, wilderness type road to nowhere. Although the Lesotho people that use that road everyday will  disagree.

I was amazed to see taxis and huge trucks going up and  down that road.

The road works were on the section between the tar road from Himeville to the hotel. The section from the hotel to the SA border post they be easy to tar but that is not the difficult section! I can't see how they'll be able to get the big machines right to the top.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Agteros

agteros' date=' great pics and well done! would love to give that race a go next year too.[/quote']

We can turn it into the annual hub bike push / longest downhill combo race on the calender!!!

On a more serious note, they talk about a 2 day stage race next year and will let the entrants know round about May next year...

The race is a chellenge but it is mostly non-technical.  The major obstacle is the steepness of the climb.  The entire event is on the road, if that can be called a road.  The last two kilometres to the border are rideable if you have at least a 34 on the back and are able to turn the pedals.  The loose rock makes it difficult to keep momentum and you will generally ride at between 2 and 3 kph on that section, so you may as well push the bike.

The full event takes in a second climb that is almost as challenging.  If I recall, it took me around 6.5 hours to complete the event with 4 hours being the uphill.

That steep bit near the border is definitely rideable going down, but if you're uncomfortable, a foot out the pedal may help going around the hairpins.

I've done the ride once, but I'm not sure I'll be back.  The lack of variety in the route does make it a bit monotonous.  But ride with a mate of similar strength and then you can chat all the way up.  I met a guy on the mountain that had ridden the the Etape the same year I did (2005) but had watched the Tour from the Alps istead of teh Pyrenees as I did.  Spent about 3 hours swopping stories about the Tour and the mountains we had ridden.

• 10 months later...

SANI PASS TRANSFRONTIER

Event Information:

Event Date: 5 December 2009

Entries Closing Date: 3 December 2009 

Province: KwaZulu-Natal

Venue: Sani Pass Hotel

Format:Mountain Biking

Starting Time: 08:30

Timed by: Mr Price

Late Entries: Yes 

Fully ROAG Administered Event: Yes 

Races:

Transfrontier 42km - R100

Border Post 26km - R80

Can anybody confirm if you need a passport to do this race, I assume you don't go through the Lesotho boarder post at the top on the 42km event, and therefor a passport is not required, but what about the SA boarder post at the bottom, or do they just turn a blind eye to people on mountain bikes for the day?

Reason I am asking, is that my passport was lont in a burglary we had a while back and I have not had a chance to get it replaced yet. smiley7.gif

Guest Agteros

Last year we went straight through the SA Border Post (+/- 15 into the race) without stopping or anything - there was a water point inside th SA border post grounds. We turned around at the sign post at the top, so never went past the Lesotho border post. No passport was required, nor any copy of it to be handed in/kept with you.

Guest Agteros
SANI PASS TRANSFRONTIER

Event Information:
Event Date: 5 December 2009
Entries Closing Date: 3 December 2009 
Province: KwaZulu-Natal
Venue: Sani Pass Hotel
Format:Mountain Biking
Starting Time: 08:30
Timed by: Mr Price
Late Entries:
 Yes 
Fully ROAG Administered Event: Yes 

Races:
Transfrontier 42km - R100
Border Post 26km - R80
[/quote']

Could you please share/post the entry/info URL?