Spoke tension under load (hanging vs standing)

ZeroPlay

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do I do with all this popcorn now?  Confused  Please someone start a new controversial topic' date=' but quickly Cool[/quote']

Don't waste it. Go next door where there is a nice religious topic raging. Needless to say the dominee himself  sonehow managed to be at the epicentre of it all once again.  Just make sure your popcorn is Halaal and Kosher.

Now that we are on the topic of wheelbuilding...  I ordered my powertap wheelset yesterday and asked for Mavic Open Pro rims from the wheelbuilder.  Was that the right option?  36 holes of course!

Not Mavic!Shocked

Did it have a serial number? It is very important, otherwise the police will come and confiscate it.LOL<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Ox_Wagon2008-12-10 09:00:02

It is true. At first glance it does seem counter-intuitive. Upon proper' date=' deeper, analysis the stress/force calculations show it to be true.
It's been discussed in the past on the Hub with much associated wailing and gnashing of teeth. [/quote']

Where can I find these calculations (and gain an understanding of the behavior of structures under tension)?

Now that we are on the topic of wheelbuilding...  I ordered my powertap wheelset yesterday and asked for Mavic Open Pro rims from the wheelbuilder.  Was that the right option?  36 holes of course!

Nice choice. Good rim (albeit expensive) and right spoke count. Don't let the builder be tempted by going 4X. Stay with 3X. If you have the guilders, ask him to build the wheel with DT Revolution or Sapim Laser spokes.

What do I do with all this popcorn now?  Confused  Please someone start a new controversial topic' date=' but quickly Cool[/quote']

Don't waste it. Go next door where there is a nice religious topic raging. Needless to say the dominee himself  sonehow managed to be at the epicentre of it all once again.  Just make sure your popcorn is Halaal and Kosher.

Sweet, I'm right behind you... I'm the one trying to wing him with the cans of pineapple...

It is true. At first glance it does seem counter-intuitive. Upon proper' date=' deeper, analysis the stress/force calculations show it to be true.
It's been discussed in the past on the Hub with much associated wailing and gnashing of teeth. [/quote']

Where can I find these calculations (and gain an understanding of the behavior of structures under tension)?

In my view, the best book for the layman is Structures (Or Why Things Dont Fall Down) by JE Gordon and published by Penguin. Exclusive Crooks has it from time to time. I think every engineer, architect, wheelbuilder or lawnmower repairman should read this book.

Secondly, if you want wheel specific, get a copy of The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt, published by Avocet Press. I stock copies of this for my wheelbuilding courses - yours for $25.

Nice choice. Good rim (albeit expensive) and right spoke count. Don't let the builder be tempted by going 4X. Stay with 3X. If you have the guilders' date=' ask him to build the wheel with DT Revolution or Sapim Laser spokes.

[/quote']

3X, 4X Confused

Damn, I have to go read up again.  Dankie Johan.  Will ask the wheelbuilder.

He seems to know what he is doing.  Not because of what he said about the wheels, but how he complained about guys who would rather spend ?400 on shoes than on proper wheels and a PowerTap!

In my view, the best book for the layman is Structures (Or Why Things Dont Fall Down) by JE Gordon and published by Penguin. Exclusive Crooks has it from time to time. I think every engineer, architect, wheelbuilder or lawnmower repairman should read this book.

Secondly, if you want wheel specific, get a copy of The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt, published by Avocet Press. I stock copies of this for my wheelbuilding courses - yours for $25.

LOLLOLLOL

As long as it is not Wikipedia as it refers to a finite element analysis that is using incorrect boundary condition.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://www.astounding.org.uk/ian/wheel/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoke

Nice choice. Good rim (albeit expensive) and right spoke count. Don't let the builder be tempted by going 4X. Stay with 3X. If you have the guilders' date=' ask him to build the wheel with DT Revolution or Sapim Laser spokes.

[/quote']

3X, 4X Confused

Damn, I have to go read up again.  Dankie Johan.  Will ask the wheelbuilder.

He seems to know what he is doing.  Not because of what he said about the wheels, but how he complained about guys who would rather spend ?400 on shoes than on proper wheels and a PowerTap!

3X = 3 Cross spoke pattern

4X = 4 Cross spoke pattern.

Come to think of it, are you sure it is available in 36 spoke? I recall the max as being 32 spoke.

I must build that line about shoes into my sales talk. I'm going to practice it quickly.

In my view' date=' the best book for the layman is Structures (Or Why Things Dont Fall Down) by JE Gordon and published by Penguin. Exclusive Crooks has it from time to time. I think every engineer, architect, wheelbuilder or lawnmower repairman should read this book.

[/quote']

Thanks - that Gordon book sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

I actually have the Brandt book already (got it in a box of old bike stuff from a friend), but haven't read it yet.  I got the impression it wasn't going to explain the theory behind my question, but rather just present the results of his FEA model and note that this is consistent with the theory.

Yes indeed' date=' so excited I got the facts wrong (are facts important?). 32 holes is the max for a PT...[/quote']

OK, thought so. Get him to build it 2 X.