Spoke tension under load (hanging vs standing)

ZeroPlay

I've read the claim that when a downward force is applied to a hub in a spoked wheel (e.g. when you're sitting on your bike), the tension of the spokes above the hub is not increased, but the tension of the spokes below the hub is decreased.  The hub is "standing on the lower spokes".  It is not "hanging on the upper spokes" or equally distributing the downward force by both "hanging" and "standing".

Have I presented the claim correctly?  This claim seems very counter-intuitive to me.  Can anyone point me to a website or other source that explains this in a simple way?  Or maybe explain it to me in this thread?

By analogy:

Consider a bow (as in "bow and arrow") with a completely rigid frame and a bowstring under tension, orientated as you would hold it when shooting.  If one pinches the string at some point along its length and pulls the string down (while the frame is held in place), is there only a decrease in tension of the bowstring below the point where you are pinching and no corresponding increase in tension above the point where you are pinching?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you want to know or do you need to know?

and the next question is ... why ?

I just want to know.

Why? Curiosity.  It's been bugging me since I saw the claim a long time ago.  So has quantum physics, but this is probably easier to put to rest.  Or is it? Smile (pass the popcorn, please)

It is true. At first glance it does seem counter-intuitive. Upon proper, deeper, analysis the stress/force calculations show it to be true.

It's been discussed in the past on the Hub with much associated wailing and gnashing of teeth.

O no not again.....Disapprove

The short off it is that if you do not own a Mavic R-SYS wheelset it is imposable for spokes to be in compression and therefore there is no "standing" involved. 

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

It's not hanging, but it's definitely pulling...

If a spoke is tensioned how the heck can it 'push' a hub?  Try pushing a spoke on it's own and see if it deforms.  Now try pulling it and see if it deforms.  You don't need quantum physics.

Ag toe JB, moenie so skaam wees nie.

O no not again.....Disapprove

The short off it is that if you do not own a Mavic R-SYS wheelset it is imposable for spokes to be in compression and therefore there is no "standing" involved. 

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Hey Ox, welcome to the club of the converted. But.....how do the Frenchies prevent a tiny little tube like an R-Sys spoke from buckling under compression?

Answer, it never goes into compression.

Man, didn't you okes watch that 80's Afrikaans program with the science teacher proving all sorts of science problems. He had a bicycle wheel with string spokes to "prove" that it was pulling and not hanging(or whatever).

I think JB should approach the SABC to start a more modern series, kind of like an SA mythbusters.

velo2008-12-10 08:45:46

It's not hanging' date=' but it's definitely pulling...

If a spoke is tensioned how the heck can it 'push' a hub?  Try pushing a spoke on it's own and see if it deforms.  Now try pulling it and see if it deforms.  You don't need quantum physics.

Ag toe JB, moenie so skaam wees nie.
[/quote']

Ek's nie skaam nie, ek's moeg vir die topic. Als is al gese en hulle moet net 'n bietjie gaan search.

Keywords for searching here would include "standing on bottom spokes" and tension and compression - all with the word spoke in the search.

Or as Edman says, go after the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

LOL The R-sys spoke is only designed for compression on side loading but I agree with you that it is most probably a marketing gimmick as the drive side spokes are still normal spokes.