Tyre Liners

FasterThanFast

Tyre liners are the way to go. I've only had two flats is eight years' date=' and those two times were large thorns that got onto the road.

[/quote']

smiley36.gif smiley36.gif Somebody already said it , Tubeless is the way to go ! I must say a year without punctures with liners are really impressive but you will not have that same record if you do a trip at Babbaas . Sunday I had a nail punture my tyre where it meets the rim . A quick plug and twee pompe and I was on my way .

FTF, in my calculation about the weight, I assumed an average rider of 70 kg, bike at 9 kg and the tyre liners weighing 100 g each.

If I were to use an actual example, I weigh 96 kg, my bike is 12 kg. If the tyre liners are 72 g each, then the actual percentage weight of the tyre liners is 0,1303 %.

That is some "heavy stuff." On Monday I was bored after fitting teeny's new bike 'puter. (just a little cateye "dis-ting") and I got curious about all these issues of weight.

My old metal tyre levers weight 1,75 ounces. (Yeah I have an old bike and an even older scale.) The new nylon ones weigh 1 ounce. That's a saving of 0,75 ounces.

No wonder I can fly uphill lately. Oh, and I got rid of my tire liners, so I must be going really fast now.

I must have saved about 0.2% in weight in the last month or so.

Somebody already said it ' date=' Tubeless is the way to go ! I must say a  [/quote']

Hey DR, I see in the Ride mag that you mentioned you have converted everything from your Venter trailer to your wheelbarrow to tubeless.smiley36.gif

A quick plug and twee pompe and I was on my way .

Wat, netnou sit jy met nog a kind, watchit.smiley36.gif

smiley36.gif And the wheels on my welder has also been converted . I really like kids (not the way Michael Jackson does) and will not mind a few more .

i was just thinking....

doesn't the weight on your wheels make more difference than just tyre levers etc, cause you not just carrying them along, you actually turning them and getting momentum going? kinda like a flywheel?

In defence of the "weight weenies":

I don't think that the intention was to discourage the use of tyre liners because of a few extra grams ... on the contrary ... I suspect it may have been to show that the only negative is a few extra grams.

Having never used them myself doesn't allow me to comment on the effective puncture resistence or performance.

Some of the comments would however suggest that the use of tyre liners is a matter of personal preference.

Tyre liners are the way to go. I've only had two flats is eight years' date=' and those two times were large thorns that got onto the road.

[/quote']

smiley36.gif smiley36.gif Somebody already said it , Tubeless is the way to go ! I must say a year without punctures with liners are really impressive but you will not have that same record if you do a trip at Babbaas . Sunday I had a nail punture my tyre where it meets the rim . A quick plug and twee pompe and I was on my way .

thats unless you are me the whole of last year i raced at babbas and didnt puncture until i rolled across the finishing line hahaha

But tubeless is the way to go no comprimise

on the road however stay out of the gutter pump your tires to the maximum reccomended pressure and then you wont get glass in your tire and you wont get pinch flats!!!