Bike hangers

Speed Devil

Now that I'm finished building at home I finally have a spare room just for my bikes.

I would like to hang the bikes on the wall to make some extra space, but have a few questions. Would any damage be caused to the bearings in the wheel or headset due to extended periods of hanging?

Would the front wheel be pulled oval or not from the weight of the bike hanging on it?

Instead of hanging them by there wheels, why not get those poles with the adjustable hangers to hang on the top tube. YOu can fit up to 4 on 1 pole.

this is the Topeak one

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/28862-1.Jpg

Instead of hanging them by there wheels' date=' why not get those poles with the adjustable hangers to hang on the top tube. YOu can fit up to 4 on 1 pole.

this is the Topeak one

[/quote']

I thought about that, but then I was scared the missus would still chuck the bikes outside and use the pole for dancingOuch

Think of how much stress your weight puts on a bike so no, hanging by the wheel should not do any damage as long as you protect against scratches. Get a decent hook with a bigger surface area. There was a nice one in one of this months local magazines with a helmet hook next to it.

Those Topeak racks are really nice but cost a bit. For that particular one you do need a concrete slab above or something really rigid to fix against above. That does aslo make it easy to move it around. I do believe there is another one that you can bolt to the wall.

Instead of hanging them by there wheels' date=' why not get those poles with the adjustable hangers to hang on the top tube. YOu can fit up to 4 on 1 pole.

this is the Topeak one

[/quote']

I thought about that, but then I was scared the missus would still chuck the bikes outside and use the pole for dancingOuch

LOL

Guest Agteros

this is the Topeak one

[/quote']

Instead of hanging your bikes on a pole, why not get a proper hanger for the bikes?

20081218_034305_light-aircraft.jpg

Something like this, but just for bicycles Big%20smile
Agteros2008-12-18 03:45:34

Would any damage be caused to the bearings in the wheel or headset due to extended periods of hanging?

Would the front wheel be pulled oval or not from the weight of the bike hanging on it?

Short answer,  no.

Longer explanation.  The bike weighs 7 to 14kg, and hangs without moving on the wall.

The bearings (and rim) are designed to carry you and the bike under dymanic loads, which on our rough roads can subject your 100kg body and bike to 3 or 4 G's.

So the sort or loads your bike is subject to hanging is several hundreds of times less than a normal ride will subject it to.

I prefer to store my road bikes on the floor, the road bikes that do not get ridden that often are hung in the garage (horizontally).  MTB's and Track bikes are hung on the vertical.  As a safety precaution on the MTB's I have gotten into the habit of locking the shock before suspending them.

Instead of hanging your bikes on a pole, why not get a proper hanger for the bikes?

20081218_034305_light-aircraft.jpg

Something like this, but just for bicycles Big%20smile

Agteros, you're breaking my heart. I would give my left arm for a space like thatWinkBig%20smileClap

dont suppose it's an issue to hang the bikes from their rear wheels, is it?

Was thinking of doing one front, one rear, like sardines...to save space.

Don't think this is what you had in mind but I bought an extra towbar plate for my bikerack that I use when I need to transport my bikes.  So I just bolted this plate to the wall.  I now have a nice storage place for my bikerack and also a place to hang the bikes up.

Don't think this is what you had in mind but I bought an extra towbar plate for my bikerack that I use when I need to transport my bikes.  So I just bolted this plate to the wall.  I now have a nice storage place for my bikerack and also a place to hang the bikes up.

If you have it at the right height, this also makes a good work stand.

I know people who put that plate in a vice and then hang the bikes at a nice working height.

If you have it at the right height' date=' this also makes a good work stand.

I know people who put that plate in a vice and then hang the bikes at a nice working height.

[/quote']

Yip, that is what I did as well.