Speed Wobble

The Saint

What frame do you have? I've heard the alu Giants, especially the aero ones, can cause wobbles.

In the old days with steel frames wild wobbles were fairly commonplace but it virtually dissapeared with new "stiffer" technology, so yes that could be your problem...  

For there to be a wobble' date=' you only need a slightly loose headset or hub, or slightly misaligned frame.  At high speed the wobble is amplified until it makes you uncomfortable.  Even when it is really uncomfortable, it is unlikely to make you fall.  Do check your headset and hubs - just hold your wheel with your knees and see how much play there is.  If you start to get a speed wobble clamp your top tube with your knees and that should solve the problem.  If that doesn't solve your problem then something is definitely loose and I would guess headset.
[/quote']

Best advice you will get.

Clamp the top tube when you get the wobble.  If that does not work, something is loose.......

Had a discussion a while back......should help:

a fall on a downhill where my wife tried to jump onto my bike and I broke my wrist.

???????????

Was she overcome with your sporting prowess that she had to make that leap' date=' or what?

We need the video of this, or at least a diagram.
[/quote']

I can only try explain. It was on Swartkoppies road on the downhill section towards klipriver. She had about 2 weeks before that decided that cycling was for her. She practiced everyday on the rollers and one fine Saturday 8th August she said she was ready to hit the road (not literally but litterally it became). On the downhill she got a wobble and started screaming eratically. I stuck my hand out to grab the stem in an attempt to stop the wobble. She thought this was her que to make a jump for it. Hands came off the bars and arms were outsteched towards my torso. Pedal in front wheel, MuXmAn does a one and a half with a not so graceful landing and the rest is history. 6 weeks in plaster. I sold her bike.

The End

She has now taken a liking to watching the sport on TV.

Me - broke the scaphoid (spelling) bone in my wrist. She came off with only a scrape on her knee. Other than the broken wrist I was pretty f%cked up with the attempted tuck and roll which was actually a great slide on the tarmac.

aw hell must have been quite a thing ! I have fallen on my mtb quite a few times . did a race here at Zevenwacht heat Challange and fell over the front of the bars three times in the last 100m of the race 35km. I took the pro route insted of the easy route . Hey it was my second mtb race and sh*t I was keen to finish as I was really bushed after 34km of heat and lots of pushing.LOLLOL nothing broken except the ego and i must say my chepie helmet held out very well too. Not yet come off the road bike yet but who knows anything can happen all in the sport

heh heh I can just imagine the spectators thinking "should this guy not have training wheels" very funny I have a picture in my mind of a guy going down a steep hill and making more distance with the falls than actually one the pedals.

no man the spectators did not see me just a photographer and some other dudes . LOL they had a good laugh man i was glad that i made their day the last 25 m was on nice brick paved road and i got a puncture too. hey man i had a great time Wink