Raleigh RC6000/7000 Carbon

quinton

Has anyone bought on the new Raleigh RC6000 or RC7000 carbon bikes and if so are you happy with it?

I am wanting to upgrade to a carbon bike and found these two to be very good value for the price.

Quinton,

You are opening yourself up here to a lot of people (I call them snobs)who will have a lot to say about Raleigh, and it not being at the level of brand x or y.

My unbiased opinion:

The fact is that what you buy is determined by your personal needs and budget.  Most mass market carbon frames (including Raleigh) come from the same factory in Taiwan in any case, and ultimately price is often determined more by branding (the stickers on it) and marketing hype than anything else.

Raleigh make fine bikes, that present excellent value for money, and unless you are riding wth the pros, you will experience no difference between that and any other more expensive carbon bike.

If the price is right, go for it!

Geez R2S2

Have you learnt NOTHING?

You can't go around giving sensible, wellthought out advice on an internet forum!

Standards are slipping, I can just tell.

Apart from that....yeah, you've pretty much nailed it.

BM,

Thanx for the support!

I have soooooo had my fill of people with big pockets taking pot shots at other peoples choices on this forum!

Had a nice long chat with Sir Fred a while back.  He played in the professional ranks in Europe in the past, and recently came 7th in the World Tri champs in Australia.  He did this on a steel bike no less, painted with a "rattle can".

To me, that says a lot about ability vs wallet size!

Pah!

He'd have been a LOT faster if the bike had been professionally spray painted using a 2-pack polyurethane.

Maybe.

I heard some raleigh carbon frameshad structural problems.

Agree with R2S2 about performance: new bike+same training=same performance, but on the subjective side, a new bike makes you feel better about same performance.  

Christie,

Yep, that I have heard too, though I believe that if the structural problems were significant, they would have done a recall by now!  (On the same note, a popular expensive brand recently had a recall if I'm not mistaken?)

I in any case doubt that structural issues will come to the fore in any bikes other than those ridden really hard by folks of professional ability.  The average Joe, and I count myself amongst them will probably, excluding abuse) never be able to take a frame beyond its limits.

As for the subjec tive side of your note, I can only agree - I don't have to be fast to feel fast!  Wink

Well, the carbon Raleigh had it's first win the past weekend in The Fast One. On TV it looked like Malcolm Lange got alot of power out of the Raleigh. If you can maybe get hold of him or anybody in the MTN/Microsoft team they can give you more info.

My wife rides a new carbon RC 6000 and even though I am not a Raleigh fan, I can only say that the bike is awesome. After every ride my wife has a big grin and tells me how wonderful it rides. Value for money - no doubt!

My only gripe, albeit unimportant, is the horrible wheels that the RC 6000 comes with.

Thanks for the all feed back. I have never been a great Raleigh fan myself but R15k-R17k for a carbon bike will change me feelings about their bikes :)