Power Drinks and Gels

Spartan SL

What are the best Power Drinks, Gels or Combos available for hard training and competing in 100km Road Races?

There are a lot of supplements out there and what works for one might not work for another person so my suggestion is to go through to an LBS or pm Bigmig here on the hub he will be able to help you with suggestions

Aggree with turtlek...

There are so many different good products on the market.

Best is to get a few samples or sachets of various ones and use them during training, and then settle for the one you find works for you.

Me, personally I prefer the POWERBAR range for endurance events. Biggest reason being that it gives me a feeling of sustained energy during the entire duration of the event.

Personal use - CarboMax dropped me; USN EnduroSport dropped me big time!! Bonked and got major cramps; Been using Octane for last year and a bit and have had a major positive effect. That said, I will be trying the Whasp stuff next.

Gels: USN Vooma are nice; also going to try moving over to Whasp

Food on bike: good old PVM energy bars!

Kind of on the topic' date=' has anyone tried BeeMax Enduromax?[/quote']

YES that works the best for me!!!! smiley1.gif

How about the USN range? They have a Cytopower drink. Anyone tried that?

Yes!!! Its makes me peeeeeeeeee tooo often!!! Dont like it!!! and they dont taste as nice as other sports drinks!! smiley11.gif

As for gels... GU and Whasp (the green one)!!! work best for me!!!

But everyone is different....try everything at least once!!

Mookyspunky hows the flavour for you? Bought some to try over Dec on training rides, think it was the Naartjie, but could not handle one sip, it was horrid. Is there a chance that the stuff was dodgy or something because man...Pickled2009-01-06 01:47:15

CYTOMAX works amazingly,no cramps,or the feeking in ur mouth that u need 2 drink water....

Mookyspunky hows the flavour for you? Bought some to try over Dec on training rides' date=' think it was the Naartjie, but could not handle one sip, it was horrid. Is there a chance that the stuff was dodgy or something because man...[/quote']

Hi Pickled smiley1.gif

Are you referring to the Bmax Enduromax? I prefer the peach flavour, yes the first time I tried it I wasnt that keen on it because its almost like a milky juice (like tropica)...its not watery like most other sports drinks... But you get used to it, and It really does me good on longer rides (compared to when using other sports drinks like USN cytomax and Staminade Endure etc)....

Its all personal preference tho....

I use Octane from PVM (Energy Dynamics). It's great 'cause you can mix it for isotonic or hypotonic energy requirements. If I use the isotonic mix I add some L-Glutamine to it just to replenish the muscle stores.

I made the mistake of using Hammer over the holidays... tasted terrible, and gave me the poops.... wont use that again...