Sram quicklink

clivem

Fitting a quicklink allows one to take the chain off easily for cleaning.  I was wondering if anyone knew of any problems/ risks with fitting this to the chain. tks

Dis die beste uitvindsel nog. Ek ry daarmee op my mtb en het geen probleme. Dis ook baie gerieflik as jy gou die ketting wil afhaal vir skoonmaak of Whatever. Ek ry ook een saam, vir as ek miekien 'n ketting breek.

The chain is always under tension thanks to the tension applied by the derailleur. So it will not come undone. And after a few rides you will need to use some force to get it to unclip. Perfectly safe and all I can wish for is the 10sp version (that can be re-used).

I got one on my road bike and another on the tandem and haven't had any problems up to now.

They more difficult to get apart than the other makes, but at least that way I know there is no way it can come loose by itself.

Never had an issue with the sram quicklink. Used one on my Dura Ace chain and now I use one on my Campy record chain too. I still clean my chain on the bike though.

Only had good experiences with them. Been using them for years.

Sometimes are a b!tch to get off, but maybe that's just my bad plier skills...

The SRAM 10sp link isn't really reuseable - I had to use water pump pliers to take it off. I also had problems with the chain skipping in the 53-11 gear combination (everyone I've talked to is surprised by this, so it might just be my setup).

I'm now using a KMC 10sp link and haven't had any problems in around 2000km worth of riding. It's also really easy to remove.

I can give you a spare KMC if you want - give me a shout.

Ok, they seem popular and beneficial.  Sounds like you have to unclip regularly, which isnt really a problem as this is when the chain is (supposed to be) cleaned.  What a pleasure open the chain and let it soak in a jar of parrifin...thanks for the feedback!

The SRAM 10sp link isn't really reuseable - I had to use water pump pliers to take it off. I also had problems with the chain skipping in the 53-11 gear combination (everyone I've talked to is surprised by this' date=' so it might just be my setup).
I'm now using a KMC 10sp link and haven't had any problems in around 2000km worth of riding. It's also really easy to remove.
[/quote']

They are reusableBig%20smile. If you use a waterpump plier to remove the link then it will definitely not be reusableCry

The SRAM 10sp link isn't really reuseable - I had to use water pump pliers to take it off. I also had problems with the chain skipping in the 53-11 gear combination (everyone I've talked to is surprised by this' date=' so it might just be my setup).
[/quote']

They are reusableBig%20smile. If you use a waterpump plier to remove the link then it will definitely not be reusableCry

Resusable maybe, but removable, no.

The SRAM 10-speed link is not removable unless you use some force, as Edman describes. It was designed for single-application only.

Most of these quicklinks are designed so that the plates have to be simultaneously squeezed together and diagonally in order to open.

As reported here, after a while they become difficult to remove. That's because grit inside prevents it from being squeezed together.

However, whilst SRAM is great for 7/8 and 9-speed, one has to search for KMC or other brands in the 10-speed range since the SRAM one is actually useless.

Someone mentioned carrying one around as a spare. The problem with this is that you'l still need a chain tool since you have to create two inner links before you can fit the quick link.