Kenda & Sealant

splat

Has anyone had probelms with Kenda UST tyres and sealant?

This is on their website and on the plastic tyre hanger thingie in the shop:

ATTENTION KENDA VALUED CUSTOMERS
KENDA DOES NOT ENDORSE THE USE OF ANY FLUID BASED SEALANT PRODUCTS IN KENDA TUBE TYPE OR TUBELESS TYPE TIRES. USE OF ANY FLUID BASED PRODUCT IN KENDA TIRES WILL BE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND WILL VOID ANY WARRANTY CLAIMS.

I've been using Kenda Nevegals with Stans fluid for more than 2 years and I have never had an issue. Without Stans (or similar) in the tyre the tubeless system is a complete waste of time.

I suspect that the warning is in case an American falls off his bike, breaks a finger nail, and tries to sue Kenda.

I agree. Have had no problems with Kenda and sealant. I don't use stan's anymore, now use a cheaper, latex-based truck tyre sealant.

I agree. Have had no problems with Kenda and sealant. I don't use stan's anymore' date=' now use a cheaper, latex-based truck tyre sealant.[/quote']

hmmm, where, which, how much?

sounds good. Stans is a ripp

There have been rumours in tyre circles about ammonia in the sealants causing bubbling of the outer tread. Unsubstantiated but these guys want to cover their arses. Maxxis is another one. Problem is not with the sealant but tyre. They are still to put the warning on their tyres.

I use Nevegal 2.1s with Stans on my training wheelset and have had issues with two rear tires - in both cases the tyre seems to delaminate internally somehow and the sealant gets between the layers, causing bubbles (little balloons) on the surface of the tyre. The first time this happened, the tyre was pretty worn anyway, so I replaced it. I'm now riding the second tyre with a tube. After putting the tube in, it still made bubbles for a while that would pop every now and then during a ride - kinda cool. But the tyre holds the tube well and still seems sound and I've had no further problems.

I've had no issues with the front tire that has now seen more than two years of (ab)use. Perhaps the rear tire delaminates because of the continuous pedalling torque.

By the way, be sure not to use tyres that old Stan says should not be used - see http://www.notubes.com/support_tire.php. I've read some horror stories about these tyres popping off the rim after the bead breaks.RacerX2009-01-19 06:25:22

• 3 weeks later...

I had a rear Nevegal come apart with Joes.

A section of about 20cm was like a sponge and pissing sealant

I now use 50/50 Joes and OKO

Seems alright

I agree. Have had no problems with Kenda and sealant. I don't use stan's anymore' date=' now use a cheaper, latex-based truck tyre sealant.[/quote']

Stan's is also latex-based. I point this out just so that there's no connection made as to an incompatibility with latex and the rubber used in tyres.

Which particular sealant do you use? I'm curious, especially with respect to the preservative and dilutant they use.

The more I read reports of tyres delaminating and forming bubbles, the more I am convinced it is caused not by a chemical reaction but by a mechanical fault with the tyre.

My theory is that this only happens with tyres that have punctured. The air then gets into the layers of the tyre via the puncture hole and does its damage inside there, helped on my the massaging of the tyre as you ride.

I predict that one of the tyre manufacturers will one day realise this, invent a way of preventing it and market their tyre as sealant proof and delaminantion proof.

Johan, a certain tyre manufacturer moved their production from the US to the East. This move coincided with a spate of problems such as mentioned here. I believe the new compound was much harder giving better wear on the tyre but resulted in delaminating and problems. Can harder rubber compounds lead to poorer bonding between layers?