Development at CSA

Andre Engelbrec

What is happening with Development at CSA. I beleive there is no money.

Apparently there is two black youngsters at the UCI Acadamy in Potch who are really talented. Problem is they sit there witout any financial backing. Apparently these kids have no pocket money and CSA cannot assist them from the side of the Development Comission.

The other question is whether the Development Commission still exists?

They have a fantastic coach who funds a lot out of his own pocket. He has many riders from under 14 to under 23 who show a lot of promise and dedication. They also achieve many results  on 2003 Lotto Raleigh's which are falling apart.

development within cycling is only but a word. there will never be money for it no matter what Lotto, SASCOC etc gives towards CSA.

When last have you had a paper or phone call from Roger informing you about transformation/development, what has the trans/dev commission done since inception under Greg-nothing.

Look at the track youngster Bernard Eesterhuizen(Spelling) he done quite well at the youth track champs recently and still no funding to help with his development yet he has loads of talent.Until such time as CSA really become serious about trans/dev we will have no future growth except for those whose parents can help them financially. I was once told by a respected track cyclist to smell the roses as they are not interested in developing anyone other than their own.

Mike Bradley has posted an overview of CSA financials for the last year. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of the budget vs actuals for dev compared to roadshows/admin/overseas trips. Roger developed Charlotte vd Merwe, maybe. And he speaks at the Eric van Enter closing ceremony, about development etc

How many a time don't we hear cries from the Capies about the development riders down there doing the wrong things in races and on training rides, one would think that by now Roger would have one of his commissioners look into this matter and aid these lads as in my opinion that is part of development,besides Charlotte who else is he busy with, has this commission being down to Soweto to help Sam and his youngsters yet, they are also a developmental team what about the youngsters in PTA that needs help?   

Ask him how well has his commission done against his white paper published in December 2007, does he now know where all the development bikes are road and track?

• 1 month later...

Apparently there is two black youngsters at the UCI Acadamy in Potch who are really talented. Problem is they sit there witout any financial backing. Apparently these kids have no pocket money and CSA cannot assist them from the side of the Development Comission.

The other question is whether the Development Commission still exists?

They have a fantastic coach who funds a lot out of his own pocket. He has many riders from under 14 to under 23 who show a lot of promise and dedication. They also achieve many results  on 2003 Lotto Raleigh's which are falling apart.

Hi Andre,

Did you get an update from Riaan?

Those raleighs are not falling apart, they are hanging in a garage doing nothing. they need minor work.

does he now know where all the development bikes are road and track?

Most of them are irreparable or misused. I frequently see them being used as commuters.