Chappies and Boyes Drive for argus

FanieFiets

That's great news.

Just proves the theory that there's nothing really wrong with the state of chappies.

Just the usual mix of bribary, corruption and incompetence.

And Boyes Drive is a much nicer (but a bit slower) ride than Main Rd anyway. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's right ... a moderate climb from Westlake and descending into Kalk Bay.

The final bends on the descent are what most are worried about.
Thomo2009-02-03 06:43:51

How much time do you guys think this detour will add. I think maybe 4-5 min of extra riding time?

Depends how well you go uphillWink

I reckon about 5 mins, yeah.

Boys Drive, at the Kalk Bay end, has a very steep decent, an antique rock wall on one side, a very sharp downhill left turn, the road narrows, and you can not see around the corner?.did I mentioned that it narrows at that section? The previous google pics only show the mild bottom corner where the road becomes bumpy and turns right into main road.

If it goes over <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />

Boys Drive
, just park 2 ambulances at the bottom ? they can do interval trips.

Just heard the talk radio interview ? chappies yes, <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />

Boys Drive
yes. Will add another 1km to the ride plus an additional uphill and a nasty decent. But they promised it will be more scenic...

Maybe a spot to regroup...

Ok my solution is to split the group' date=' Locals go over Boyes and the other poor suckers that cant find work in Cape Town can ride in single file through the road works.[/quote']sounds good... most of the howtengers never have anything good to say about cpt anyways LOL

Sleep City do not have enough money to get most of us there anyway.

a spot to regroup? i think more like a spot to be dropped LOL

smiley32.gifsmiley18.gifsmiley32.gifsmiley11.gif

But seriously, apart from the <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Lakeside traffic light, this will be an additional dangerous bottleneck.

2 ? 4 minor incidents close together and one could land up with a fat cycling traffic jam.

Now, according to cycling strategy 101, one should ?..

PeterM2009-02-03 07:43:22

I just read on the Beeld website that the Chappies route will be open but that everybody will use the road on own risk..... would there now be insurance issues at stake if a rock crushes you??????

I just read on the Beeld website that the Chappies route will be open but that everybody will use the road on own risk..... would there now be insurance issues at stake if a rock crushes you??????

moenie worry nie Oom H, dit moet 'n moerse klip wees wat jou gaan crush! Wink

The std insurance will most properly by of little use, except if you took out one of those high-danger-sport ones (hang gliding, base jumping,). The lapsed insurance issue is relatively minor to the lapsed live issue. smiley2.gif<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />