going tubeless

smerds

Hi guys, I?m thinking of going tubeless on my mtb. I have got DT Swiss X455 rims and maxis cross mark tyres.

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

What do I need, where do I get it, and what will it cost me?

Do I need to get new tubeless tyres or can I do a conversion with the existing tyres seeing as they are still new.

Your help will be appreciated.

I used Stans No Tubes conversion kit, R685.00. Linden Cycles. Easy to use if you follow the instructions and have a compressor. Use the paint brush with dish soap to help get the initial seal. Some tube type tyres are usable, I had Maxxis Cross Mark already, you need the ones without the wire bead thingy because if this gets a kink you will not get a seal on the bead - well thats what I was told.

Plentipotential2009-02-04 06:51:16

Buddy, i have the same wheels, same kit and the R150 wire crossmarks.

they have 4137km on them, still sealed.

STOP WASTING YOUR TIME THINKING.....

Go buy the stuff, fit it, and go ride your bike....

....or what happens is, you find yourself spending tooooo much time on the Hub, and the machine you spent a **** load of money on, just stands and gathers dust, cause you waiting on other peopls opinion as o what you should do...

Thats about as straight forward as i can be..

Welcome to the Hub

Go Stans, it works. Not a single puncture in 3 years on two bikes with Stans.

If you fit the kit yourself you MUST watch the installation movies on the notubes.com site and do EXACTLY what Stan says. Yes, the soap and the brush, the swishing back and forth, banging the tyre, EVERYTHING! Otherwise you will get goo in your hair and be swearing at everything in sight! A floor pump is fine if you take out the valve core to do the initial inflation. Also in almost all cases, leave your old rim strip in place and put the Stans strip over it. Use the tyres you have unless they're on Stan's blacklist (http://www.notubes.com/support_tire.php).

Good luck!RacerX2009-02-04 14:09:31

hi guys thanks for the help.

sounds like i have a little project for the weekend. which leads me to the next question, what "make/brand" works the best and is the easiest to install. sounds like i have to go for stans?

any other makes/brands any good?

will do my homework and see where i can get a good deal in cape town.

Joe's works fine - as well.

There is mention that ammonia based sealants can cause delamination of tyres and that water based sealants are better - Joe's, Ryder etc.  You can't mix water / ammonia based sealants either.

There are plenty of d-i-y versions on the hub as well.  Maybe search on 'ghetto' to find them.

You don't need to fork out for the kit, can make up the rim strips yourself out of a slightly smaller wheel size tube.  One thing the kits do come with is a huge bottle of sealant which is useful. 

I think I paid R250 for a half litre of Joe's from Cajees, so with that and two tubes at R40 ea you could do it for R390 - less if you bought a smaller bottle.

ButI have to agree - it's a no-brainer that you have to do it, however you choose to do it.

go stans.although the start-up kit is pricey you get a bottle of fluid for refills.

no problems for the next year.

best thing since the shock