hammertoe

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who won the two Vets races? (1500m and 3km points race)?

Only 2 entriesCry

Alwyn de Kock won both.

Waar was jy Fatty??????

Guest colonel

Fatty was trying to hook up with a chick on a morning ride.

(Optimus) I was there too. I'm glad to see that others have picked up the "flaws" in the selection process. My son also participated and by his own admission wasn't good enough on the day! He has had some excellent results against Elite riders locally, but these have gone mostly unnoticed and he hasn't been able to produce the once-off performances when it matters. You are right, there is so much talent, yet our system fails when it comes to identifying, nurturing and developing it.

(Butafly) People are well aware of the "connection" yet nothing seems to be done about it. Stakeholders cloose to the action dont have the backbone to challenge and are afraid to jeopardize their own position within the hierarchy. I understand that the matter has previously been taken up with our Olympic Committee and that there's correspondence on the way to the UCI. 

Kenneth, previously selected for World's, raced well enough to show that there is more improvement to come. (November), never heard his name before nor mentioned on the day. My assumption in the absence of a well articulated policy and related criteria. is that he replaces Benjamin for development reasons.  

(Chrispy) 100% agreement with you. For a 1st year Junior Carstens performed well! Did any of the selectors take the time to sit with him and  tell him that his performance was noted, that he is on track, that he will be placed on a development prog?...dont think so! Bakke outperformed Funnel on the day, but the later did nothing wrong to suggest he shouldn't be in the team. Spies seems to deliver his best performance on the day.

I have it on good authority that all the selectors weren't present during the Junior points event nor the Madison. I'm also told that Elite riders were told before the day, who or who not to pair up with in the Madison. Was Velocity 3 really a selection event? The Junior team didn't change iro performance on the night and others have asked questions regarding the selections in the other categories. Martin van Wyk, a VET, outperformed most of the Elites, Gadi Chait now races for Colourpress, surely his program didn't allow him to be ready on the day, (was this considered when excluding him from the Elite team) but he may be ready when it matters! Liam de Roche: surely the selectors know that you can't go to war without him?    

(Groot Lem) - you're likely not going to get a reply to your sms. The rider you referred to was outclassed at 2006 SA's, Worlds and again on Sunday. But in the absence of a integrated system the status quo remains. The result = the number of young riders racing track diminishes... go count them in KZN, CG, GN, EC etc,,

(Breeze) - your team consists of a bunch of highly talented youngsters. Bradley's performance on the road came as no surprise to me. On the track he's even better. He did more than enough to show he deserves his place despite little or no track specific prep.    

The organisers knew that the event was going to enjoy selection status before the CG province did. Did riders have adequate time to prepare for the event? Is the Tri-Nations event listed on the 2007 CSA Calendar?....

On a positive note I've no doubt that the acting COO can put actions in place to address the above and (Optimus) hopefully in time for the youngsters you mention to see the benefits thereof.... 

GWilson

What an excellent piece of reporting. We need you to write some articles for the press.

Was nice to meet you on Sunday - see you at the SA's in JHB.

Only 2 entriesCry

Alwyn de Kock won both.

Waar was jy Fatty??????
I wasn't going to pay R70 to get chased by my X Arauma teammates for two short races, so I went on a mtb ride with a lovely young red-head lass. Wasn't Russel there?

Morne Blignaut also broke the 500m SA record - made the team as well

Well done.  The new record is 28.16 sec (previous record 28.96)

Only 2 entriesCry

Alwyn de Kock won both.

Waar was jy Fatty??????
I wasn't going to pay R70 to get chased by my X Arauma teammates for two short races' date=' so I went on a mtb ride with a lovely young red-head lass. Wasn't Russel there?
[/quote']

Russel raced Eiltes

Those that were chosen obviously have a little bit of talent for cycling - would it not be in our interest to add a few other names and form a squad of potential WC, Cm'wealth and Olympic cyclists. aren't the Olympics next year? The Development Commissioners should be working at this right now.

Those that were chosen obviously have a little bit of talent for cycling - would it not be in our interest to add a few other names and form a squad of potential WC' date=' Cm'wealth and Olympic cyclists. aren't the Olympics next year? The Development Commissioners should be working at this right now.[/quote']

In SA Development = PDI

There is no real Development Program in place.

This is what Development should be:

Olympic Development Programme (Track) Induction

Story posted December 16

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/MultimediaFiles/20061214_ODP_INDUCTION_01.JPG

Jo Harrison from the EIS, explains to riders and parents alike, the help they can give to riders on the Olympic Development Programme.

Last Saturday, prior to the Revolution 15 International Track Open, the latest inductees to the GB Team's Olympic Development Programme (ODP), gathered at Manchester with their parents for a presentation from the ODP Performance Manager, Helen Mortimer, ably supported by GB Cycling Team coaches and staff from the English Institute of Sport (EIS).

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/MultimediaFiles/20061214_ODP_INDUCTION_05.JPGThe coaches included Iain Dyer (Sprint), Darren Tudor (Men's Endurance), Simon Cope (Women's Endurance), Jan van Eijden (consultant sprint coach), plus Andy and Jo Harrison from the EIS.

The presentation was for riders on the ODP's Track Endurance and Track Sprint programmes. One by one, the coaches on the programme told the parents and riders what they were looking for from their riders, as well as giving an overview of the riders' schedule for the year. The presentations started with a video, compiled by the EIS, of the previous year's ODP riders training and racing.

ODP rider, Adam Blythe, already winning events against International Elite riders such as those at the Revolution meetings.

With the EIS sports analysts attending many of the training camps with video equipment, as well as travelling with the GB Team to major events like the European and Junior World Championships, the presentation was able to vividly demonstrate the success the programme has enjoyed since it was introduced three years ago. A particular highlight was this year's Junior Track Worlds, where riders brought home medals of all colours in a performance that clearly demonstrated the young talent we now have available in this country.

That success comes from hard work and a strict work ethic is something the ODP coaches expect from their charges. Those with the will to succeed are expected to progress from the ODP programme (which is aimed at 17-18 year olds) to the Under-23 Academy programme, which is the final step before the Olympic Podium programme, which supports our very best senior riders.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/MultimediaFiles/20061214_ODP_INDUCTION_02.JPGFirst coach to speak was Iain Dyer who outlined what he expected from his riders, a theme echoed by all the other coaches. Iain also talked to the parents and riders about the importance of coach-led racing, to supplement key international track events he will use to give riders experience against foreign opposition.

He also mentioned how the riders will travel to other countries like Belgium and Germany for training camps to give them experience on different tracks. The visit to Germany, for example, is aimed at preparing riders for the European Championships, which are to be held on the same track.

Men's endurance coach Darren Tudor was next to take to the floor. He explained the ethos behind the planned training programme and stressing just what the riders were letting themselves in for during the track training camp sessions. In these, riders would be on the boards working at various skills repeatedly, so they are totally ingrained before they make the next step up into the Academy.

Finally, Simon Cope spoke about the new Women's Endurance programme, where not only will they undertake a similar skills programme to the male riders, but they will also be travelling frequently to Europe to gain as much experience as possible against international level riders.

The final presentation was from Andy and Jo Harrison of the EIS, who explained how they are an integral part of the GB Cycling programme and what they, the EIS, can do for the riders around the country. For example, helping them balance their schooling with their sporting commitments and tackling the whole issue of being professional sportsmen and women and how to manage their lifestyle outside cycling so they can focus on their sporting goals.

Then, to finish, the new riders were handed their kit bags as well as having their team "mug shots" done. British Cycling's website will be attending ODP camps in the coming weeks and months as these up and coming stars are put through their paces in the run up to next season.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/MultimediaFiles/20061214_ODP_INDUCTION_03.JPG

Former World Sprint Champion Jan van Eijden talking to Becky James, a rider on the ODP programme.

What is the ODP?
The Olympic Development Programme is the first National level rung on the GB Cycling Team's ladder of athlete development. The regionally focused National Youth Squad (Talent Team) underpins it, feeding through riders already well versed in the skills and talent required to compete at the very highest level.

The ODP is a full-on coaching and development programme with tough qualification criteria and even tougher goals. It demands similar levels of commitment and discipline to riders on the Olympic Academy Programme (18 - 23 year olds) and the elite Olympic Podium Programme, which contains our World and Olympic medal winning stars.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/MultimediaFiles/20061214_ODP_INDUCTION_04.JPGThe ODP riders, aged between 17 and 18 year, are shown the ropes in their chosen disciplines and it isn't only on the bike performances that matter: Core attributes for these riders include the ability to be organised and disciplined in training and when racing at events. Simple things like a willingness to work hard in training or turning up on time in the right kit are just two of the things coaches look out for.

Right: Alex Greenfield, one of the  female riders on the ODP programme seen here in the leaders jersey for the DHL Future Stars competition.

As well as helping the riders develop physically, the coaches place a heavy emphasis on them performing countless drills to help them learn the skills they require for their discipline. An example of this will be the hours and hours of Team Pursuit or Madison training riders will be required to do at mid term training camps.

This year, for the first time, the ODP caters for riders in all Olympic Disciplines and riders have been inducted into ODP teams for BMX and Cross-Country Mountain Biking as well as the Track Sprint and Endurance categories. The latter (Endurance) will not only aim to produce potential medal winning riders for the endurance events on the track but also on the Road. An example of this was Lizzy Armistead's high placing in the World Junior Women's Road Race championship and Jo Rowsell's 4th in the European Time Trial championships.

Riders can apply direct to the GB Team ("Join the GB Team" item in the left menu) pretty much all year round. "Our main intake is in the autumn, but if you think you're good enough, or we want to have a closer look at you, you can be invited as guest at training camps" Performance Manager Helen Mortimer explained.

"A really good starting point for ambitious young riders is a chat with their regional Olympic Talent Coach. We've got a network of these coaches who are always on the lookout for up and coming riders."

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/MultimediaFiles/20061214_ODP_INDUCTION_06.JPG

Sprint riders on the ODP get to experience the action in an Elite Men's Keirin race as World and Olympic medallist Craig MacLean goes head to head with former World Champion from Germany, Jan van Eijden.

Helen then spelled out the ODP's benefits: "All the riders are based at home and continue with their education. There's a crucial balance to make between meeting their educational needs and fitting in training, so ODP training camps are planned for school holidays and the racing and training schedule eases off around exam periods. Our riders all have different needs and we are flexible."

"In terms of contact time with the programme, a rider can expect eighty-five to ninety days of training, coaching and racing. There are other sessions which they can dip in to as well."

"When it comes to financial support, the riders are on what's called 'level E' funding. That means that they get a small quarterly grant. On top of that, we provide clothing and equipment, so they shouldn't face any big financial hits. They tend to spend their grants on travel costs and additional equipment. All their contact time with the team - training camps, racing etc is fully funded for them."

And did you all know that they sent Kenneth over to Junior World Track Champs last year with a broken arm. They didn't even use the reserve or find a substitution that was already overseas.Angry 

So they acctually deprived someone else from getting there Protea Colours by sending someone that couldn't even ride.

Dink daar aan......Shocked

And did you all know that they sent Kenneth over to Junior World Track Champs last year with a broken arm. They didn't even use the reserve or find a substitution that was already overseas.Angry 

So they acctually deprived someone else from getting there Protea Colours by sending someone that couldn't even ride.

Dink daar aan......Shocked

Mcgee get your facts rightAngry

Kenneth had a broken collarbone to start with - he broke his arms in December.

His Dad paid for ALL his expenses to go to the World Champs.

Well last year, he did go with a broken arm or color bone to worlds last year and they did not replace him. If he paid his own way, well then it's OK. But someone alse should've gone to be exposed to the racing.

Well last year' date=' he did go with a broken arm or color bone to worlds last year and they did not replace him. If he paid his own way, well then it's OK. But someone alse should've gone to be exposed to the racing.[/quote']

Now that sounds a bit betterWink

I agree with you but also bear in mind (I can't believe I am actually defending CSALOL) Kenneth broke his collarbone 3 days before they left for Worlds. A short time to get things done?