cassette Ratio

moose12

Hi there , I am new to the world of cycling and currently have a 105 10 speed with Compact Crank with a 11-23 cassette.What advice do you have regards changing the cassette to a 12-25 or 12-27 to assist me on those dreaded hills.

if you change to the latter cassettes you will have a problem with top end speed the cassette ratio of 23-11 is perfect for all the hills in the country unless you really suffer then try getting yourself a 1125 and you have the best of both worlds!!!!

Easier gearing is not an easy way out. What you win on the swings, you loose on the roundabouts.

It is all about your aerobic capacity. If you dont have the capacity to spin in that easy gear you'll get as exhausted as with a harder gear.

But don't worry, a 25-top end will give you a bit more confidence since it does feel easier. Soon you'll gain strength and you'll use a 23 for everything.

Do some legwork in the gym to improve your strength.

Easier gearing is not an easy way out. What you win on the swings' date=' you loose on the roundabouts.

It is all about your aerobic capacity. If you dont have the capacity to spin in that easy gear you'll get as exhausted as with a harder gear.

But don't worry, a 25-top end will give you a bit more confidence since it does feel easier. Soon you'll gain strength and you'll use a 23 for everything.

Do some legwork in the gym to improve your strength.
[/quote']

True, you need to spin faster to maintain the same speed in an easier gear, but some of us are just not so concerned about speed, and don't mind slowing down and enjoying the view.

True' date=' you need to spin faster to maintain the same speed in an easier gear, but some of us are just not so concerned about speed, and don't mind slowing down and enjoying the view.

[/quote']

thats fresh coming from the mountain lionLOLLOLLOL

Hi there ' date=' I am new to the world of cycling and currently have a 105 10 speed with Compact Crank with a 11-23 cassette.What advice do you have regards changing the cassette to a 12-25 or 12-27 to assist me on those dreaded hills.

[/quote']

Get the 12-25

It will help on the hills

the top end that you might lose on is negligible at the level that you (we) are at

i had a 12-26 and now i have a 11-23 - and its not easy adjusting, the pedaling is way harder! Dead

Thank you all for the advice , I managed to get an 11-25 and should get it tomorrow and will ride it this weekend and let you guys know....!!

True' date=' you need to spin faster to maintain the same speed in an easier gear, but some of us are just not so concerned about speed, and don't mind slowing down and enjoying the view.

[/quote']

thats fresh coming from the mountain lionLOLLOLLOL

You confusing me with somebody else? ConfusedSmile

mountain_lion is a laid back mountain biker (and mountaineer) who only ventures on to the tar occasionally (e.g. world fun ride champs).

I have actually just acquired a new road bike after not owning a road bike for more than 10 years.

I have fitted a compact crank and a 25-12 cassette. (wanted the 25-11, but LBS says they can't find in Tiagra, which is standard on the bike).

And just to make double sure that BigBen will never join me on a ride, I fitted SPD pedals so that I can use my mountain bike shoes and will wear my camelback! LOL