Bicycle Rider Safety Tips/Advice

Slowbee

heh... UFO indeed.

Those valve-lights kinda remind me of those spoke sliders that used to shoot to the outside of the rim when you rode, then slide back when you slowed down... The memories! Blue BMX, not a care in the world.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lights are a help, but not the whole answer. Common sense and expecting the idiot, as cervelo says, are the key. I had a smiley35.gif nearly take me out this morning by turning right across my path at 40 km/h. I had my 700 lumen MTB headlight on my bars on blink mode. That light is so bright I can't look at it from 50m away in the daytime, and this clown was way closer than that...

Lights are a help' date=' but not the whole answer. Common sense and expecting the idiot, as cervelo says, are the key. I had a smiley35.gif nearly take me out this morning by turning right across my path at 40 km/h. I had my 700 lumen MTB headlight on my bars on blink mode. That light is so bright I can't look at it from 50m away in the daytime, and this clown was way closer than that...[/quote']

we can only do our bit droo. If something happens, god forbids, atleast our side is clean.

Lights are a help' date=' but not the whole answer. Common sense and expecting the idiot, as cervelo says, are the key. I had a smiley35.gif nearly take me out this morning by turning right across my path at 40 km/h. I had my 700 lumen MTB headlight on my bars on blink mode. That light is so bright I can't look at it from 50m away in the daytime, and this clown was way closer than that...[/quote']

we can only do our bit droo. If something happens, god forbids, atleast our side is clean.

Unfortunate, but true. Another tip that the "rest of them" need to be aware of: Wear a helmet! Sick and tired of seeing Joe Public riding around, without a care in the world, without a lid on and going STRAIGHT thru the lights as if we were living in, I dunno, Post-apocalyptic RSA where there are NO PPL AROUND!

While we're talking about lights, all the lights in the world won't help if no one can see them. CHECK BATTERIES. More often than not when I get behind riders, once I'm behind them I can see most of them actually do have blinkers but they're so faint I can barely see them flash when I'm right behind them. IMO vertical arrays are crap, they don't seem to present good visibility even when they're working.

I also respectfully disagree wrt adjusting front lights to shine in motorists faces. For one thing, I like the beam on the road to help me see potholes and trenches, and for another nobody wants to be blinded and with the luminosity of these new LEDs you can see them pretty easy even when they're not pointed at you. However if the motorist has brights on, in his face with the bikelight!

20090224_042111_It_starts_with_.JPG

Just thought I'd post this poster (!!) It's non offensive for all our non-cycling friends, non accusatory, and quite positive Tongue

What you all think?

This is the wording I posted with my Posters!!!

In only 11 days time, 35000 cyclists will take part in the Pick ?n Pay Argus cycle tour.

You would all have noticed the huge amounts of cyclists on the road. It seems like more then ever before. With the increased number of people training, comes the increased risk that people will get hit by cars.

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Since December last year, 3 people have lost their lives while training on <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Cape Town?s roads. All three cases were preventable. The most recent death was that of Colin van Skalkwyk. Many of you will recognise the name as he was an employee for Woolworths Financial Services for many years before he left to start his own company. It hits close to home when it is someone you know.

I have been cycling for 8 years, in that time I have had many close calls. And have made many friends in the cycling community. I don?t want to be the next victim. I don?t want there to be any more deaths in this ever growing community. I am writing this today to implore all road users to be aware of one another, be courteous, and be safe. We have to share our roads with every vehicle ? and a bicycle is included in that.

To all the motorists:

Be tolerant of other road users.

Give cyclists space when passing ? 1.5m is not a lot of space when a life is at stake.

If it is not safe to pass with enough space, wait. This is Cape Town time, enjoy the view.

Please don?t abuse your hooters, a short hoot is far more appreciated than a long impatient one.

Don?t cut us off ? we are moving faster than you think.

To all the cyclists:

Obey the rules of the road. You can?t cry foul if you are not respecting the rules.

Wear reflective clothing at all times. You may look like a fool, but rather be an alive fool than dead and cool.

Use lights ? red flashing at the back and white flashing at the front.

Ride single file on busy roads (with in reason).

Stay within the yellow lane where possible.

Always wear a helmet.

I hope that the next two weeks will be safe on the roads, for everyone.

Nix

I also respectfully disagree wrt adjusting front lights to shine in motorists faces. For one thing' date=' I like the beam on the road to help me see potholes and trenches, and for another nobody wants to be blinded and with the luminosity of these new LEDs you can see them pretty easy even when they're not pointed at you. However if the motorist has brights on, in his face with the bikelight!

[/quote']

we are not talking about 500 lumens lights here. We are talking about the little R120 jobbies. They are useless to see stuff with but quite effective is shown straight at you. If you need to see where you are going you will need a proper light to see with and at the speed that road cycles travel, it will have to be a very good one to see 10meters in front of you.