Bicycle Rider Safety Tips/Advice

Slowbee

listen to the traffic. If you hear someone putting foot down ' date=' rather look and see whats happening behind you, chances are good its an idiot. Also goes for old unroadworthy junk sounding like 100 tin cans coming up behind you.[/quote']

another reason not to wear earplugs ipod speakers

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the one most new cyclists get wrong. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen near misses and frustration, because the cyclist was on the right hand side of the cars and had to cross the lane.

The problem is that it is mostly commuters and new, uncertain and inexperienced cyclists who are guilty of this. This makes the situation worse, as they tend to wobble all over the car's line. I think they should educate kids at school about the dangers of doing this... People feel safe when they are not in the middle of the road, but standing on the side of the road. It is a false sense of security.

20090220_023959_crossing.gif

guys then draw a picture for me.

Where should you stand/wait then while waiting for the approaching cars (those going straight - and those turning to their right) to finish so you can finish the turn?

i think we need to promote mampara to status of "traffic behaviour educator"... he's got both things right in terms of what cars expect - ie if there are 2/3/4/5 lanes turning right stay on the left hand side of the left most lane. if you are riding on the pavement (which legally you are not suposed to be doing) then stay there - veerig ona nd off around cars makes them very very nervous and aggro.

guys then draw a picture for me.

Where should you stand/wait then while waiting for the approaching cars (those going straight - and those turning to their right) to finish so you can finish the turn?

just stand next to the nose of the car on your right and don't take a chance. The car's from the front is comming at a speed.

first safety tip is common sense. 2nd is anticipate what a motorist may do. Think negatively. If you approach a garage exit, expect that a cars gonna come out there, the  driver is not going to look and drive in front of you. Rather slow down to a crawl, making sure he/she sees you. the chances that they look to see are very slim. they're usually in a hurry, and go left right , ok clean , go!

Do you then avoid doing this since it creates a bad impression of cyclists? Or is it just a case that they are sour for not being able to jump kerbs ?

It'll make a bad impression on you if you don't hear an electric gate opening and a car suddenly rolls down the driveway and you're riding like a 12 year old right in his path. It's totally you in the wrong here, the only thing a driver might be expecting at that point is someone to jump out with a gun.

One little thing I'd like to share is this...

If you ride early morning / dusk / night-time, instead of just a super-bright bar light, get yourself a small led to fit onto your helmet. They cost just R80 or so and weigh next to nothing, but because it'll be bobbing around (due to your head moving whilst you ride) it'll be noticed alot more by the motorists than just a stationary light...

Another thing with lights. Don't let you blink light point to the ground. Raise the front so that it shines in eye level for motorists and also they should not point straight behind and in front of you. tilt it slightly (about 2 degrees) towards the road. Cars are never right infront or behind you but always on your outside.

ag, as far as lights are concerned it's best to do the christmas tree thing... flashy on back pockte, flashy on back of bike, knogg frogs around each wheel hub, sigma karma on front, valve lights on both wheels... i have GOT to go get batteries for my valve lights this weekend...

(ok, so i wake up the neighbourhood as i go by andcause reports of UFO sightings, but it makes me feel safe!)

but those stupid little Barbier light are useless unledd you use about 20 of them pointing in 20 different directions. Don't tuck them under your seat, they are invisible there.

any light used on your bike should be visible (as in teh light emitted by it) during the day or you've wasted your money

cpt, i have a sigma karma upfront, not sure about the red flashy (the one on the bike) but it's bright, and i use a green glotoob clipped to a pocket... with the knogg frogs onthe hubs and (if i'll just get batteries) the blue valve lights it will seriously take someone to be literally blind or seriously fast asleep to not see me