Help me lighten the bike

Weight Weenie

I ride eggbeater sl's' date=' 4ti way to expensive and they arent blue haha!

How about a 160 rear and 140 front rotor? i dont use the front much.

Ti bolts seem smart, but ill keep the computer or otherwise how will I train? 

Bars will be cut, I need the longer seatpost but might shorten it later...
[/quote']

you are riding "wrong" if you don't use your fron much. You will always see where the rider opted for different size rotors, the small one is on the back.

if you want light stuff, go look here.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

get rid of the saddle - too heavy for weightweenies

at least go SLR Ti - 135g not 175g - there's already 40g for you (there are many other lighter options too)

sell your saddle and look on hub for SLR

Not sure about your wheelset (I'm a roady) but normally there's plenty o weight (as in 100's of grams) to be saved

1.4kg is a lot to lose on a bike without 'spending much' as you say..you've done well but might be reaching the point of diminishing returns...you know where that exponential graph just keeps climbing on the rand side and the kg bit hardly budges.

I would pretend to be american and start calling it a sub23. But there's help for me, just looking at your name it appears to be a terminal case. 'spose that pic of paulissen's 8.8kg dual pissed you off mighty yesterday!

Unless you want to compromise on things like your frame and fork (cranks, bar-ends, etc), how do you expect to seriously loose weight on you bike?

Just because you have always liked it doesn't mean it is going to cut it when you want lightweight.

Money solve all weight issues (and maybe laxatives :-) )

Yeah definitely deminishing returns! Its now a question of weight only, not even functionality. 

mmm well I would never ride a dually except for the epic maybe, so that bike doesnt really bother me, dont like canondale lefty bikes anyway.

Give me a nice hardtail and the drooling starts involentarily, its just sexy!

The only way forward seems full xtr and lighter fork, otherwise you get into botique brands like tune, frm, extralight and those are way to expensive for me and they arent durable imo.

I'm surprised the bike is so heavy with those parts - almost everything is lightest in class already... how much does that frame weigh?

... Should be 9.5 - 9.6 easily with those parts.

You won't save 100g over XTR and XT crank... weighed a couple... XTR 970 is not as light as they advertise... as heavy as 812g...

Aerozine crank - mine is 739g and it does not come loose or flex... it's fine! 

I'm still puzzled... the heavy parts there could be the frame... and that fox... 1.55 to 1.7kg? 

my CF hardtail is 9.7kg with 700g UST tyres, Juicy 7 brakes 889g, X9 der 220g +165g, Stylo crank 860g... AMC wheels 1515g... SID SL 1350g Frame is 1224g... EC 70 bar, Thompson Elite seatpost, 130g stem... not super light stuff. 

Sub 9kg with light tires (400g ea) , Aerozine crank, twist shifters...

I had the same question on end of 2008,

about my scott scale with 12 kg...

but when I put the value on calculator

I though: Why lighten my bike if I can Light myself

so I train very harder and lost safety 10 kg without

lost performance. I was 76 now 66 kg (normal weight for me).

Now Imagine a investment to do a bike lost 10 kg...

the best advice, follow a good diet and have

a good training schedule to save money and

gain a lot of health

smiley2.gif

It's a good point... I got used to a v-brake 9kg hardtail and was obsessed with everything weight wise... In races I would cut on hydration to save weight, wouldn't race with tools etc etc... I once removed all the paint which saved me 80g... then I removed some 20g more by sanding the aluminium... drilled holes in stuff... those were tha days...

But looking back... I've achieved some of my best results on a 10.7kg dual suspension...

But.. a light bike def climbs better... but 200 or 300g is not really going to make a diff if it's not in the wheels...

It's a good point... I got used to a v-brake 9kg hardtail and was obsessed with everything weight wise... In races I would cut on hydration to save weight' date=' wouldn't race with tools etc etc... I once removed all the paint which saved me 80g... then I removed some 20g more by sanding the aluminium... drilled holes in stuff... those were tha days...

?

But looking back... I've achieved some of my best results on a 10.7kg dual suspension...

?

But.. a light bike def climbs better... but 200 or 300g is not really going to make a diff if it's not in the wheels...
[/quote']

I never though about the paint,

look like nothing, but is a good 80g

without replace nothing.

Actually I have a excell file with a lot

of parts to change, but the price...

This site below was utile for me

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php

I weigh 60kg....

Frame is medium, so supposedly 1.2kg but i havent weighed it or some of the somponents yet or the whole bike, but the lbs weighed it at 11,58kg when it was set up after I bought it.  So the weight is approx. 10,2kg as I have specced it now, could be higher/ lower. fox should be 1.55 as per site

Changing a fork is a substantial weight loss,

my bike have a rock shock tora one, I would like

change to Fox or a nagura If I change, I lost

about 600g the value is about USD700

(I must be consult my notes to accuracy value)

Now, my plan is different, I prefer invest

in a other bike, a road one to training

I got a really good deal on a 2nf Hand XTR Crank at R1500 and had ti on the scale, comes to: 785 incl BB. So it's just 70odd grams lighter than XT.

Your best bet is a new frame at 1250-1350g and a new fork, my old FoX 100mm was sitting at 1650grams, my new one is 1408g with 100mm travel.

But ja, those to are big ticket items... have you tried shortening your seatpost? I would not recoment the KCNC Pully wheels, those things don't last. I saw some really nice / light weight mtb skewers on CRC at 23g per set!!!! going for R500 odd bucks!!