Bike jacking - R21 Engen

Gravity Sux

I'm sure a lawyer's letter could have compelled Cajees to give up the owner's name. My folks had a clock made for their wedding. It was stolen 10 years later ina house robbery and my mother saw it one day at an upmarket shop in Sandton City (16 years after it had been stolen) Unfortunately it had passed though too many hands to trace back it back to the thieves. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife went to Goodies for Gardens in Zambesi (Pretoria). The labourer helping her load the items purchased had a POLAR S720i on his arm; when asked about the watch he was totally unaware of its functions and told her he was given the watch as a birthday gift?

What does one do about something like that? How do you get folks NOT to support the stolen goods market. He most likely knows it was stolen.

It occurs to me that the cops should set up a "sting opperation". Basically get hold of a few bikes, with some form of tracking device, ride up and down at the hotspots, and then track the bikes to wherever they go, taking note (pictures) of who is involved in the whole chain.

They seriously need to bust everyone in the loop because I am convinced there is some kind of syndicate behind this.

I know this entails risk on their part, but they need to do something drastic.

Rant on:

I am sick and tired of crime in this country. It starts at the top and gets worse as it goes down.

AAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGG!

Rant off:

what did you ride sani2c on, gravity?

Hi cat-i, managed to get a replacement Spark within a week so rode that. Cost a f..ing fortune and Scott dodn't do any great favours but I am not one for big changes before an event and the main goal is the Epic in 11 days time.  Basically the first time I rode the bike was on Sani2c.  Didn't manage to get setup exactly how I had it before but it was close.  Had some serious pain in the last hour of day 2 only to find out when I got home that there was some "up slip" or something in the pelvis / lower back?%? all to technical to me.  Anyway, the phisio has fixed that so besides the emotional ties to the old bike and the financial hit I am back to where I was 3 weeks ago.

PS How do you get this thing to reply to a post and include the oridinal text? did it once but cannot figure it out again.

My wife went to Goodies for Gardens in Zambesi (Pretoria). The labourer helping her load the items purchased had a POLAR S720i on his arm; when asked about the watch he was totally unaware of its functions and told her he was given the watch as a birthday gift?

What does one do about something like that? How do you get folks NOT to support the stolen goods market. He most likely knows it was stolen.

Thinking about something proactive to do.  Maybe the industry needs somewhere where you can register your equipment and blacklist it when it is stolen.  It would not really help in this case but it would be great if there was no market for the equipment because bike shops / suppliers hand it over as stolen property when they receive it.  This would rely on honesty in the industry, don't know it there are enough honest people out there...anyway it is a good thought.  I will keep kicking this idea around, maybe something will come of it one day.

More news from this trobled region.

The farmer on the piece of ground near the Dunblane Equestrian Estate on Marrister rd has dug trenches across all the dirt roads.

This is the area on the way out to Bapsfontein from the Bredell Serengeti area.

I've also heard tracks in the area have been booby trapped with spikes buried in the sand. These are evidently the same type of spikes that are usually put on top of walls to stop peaple climbing over.

It appears that irresponsible QUAD riders are to blame for this farmer's latest bout of anger.

Heard there was another attack near the R21 Engen this last Saturday. Heard this form 2 sources but it is 2nd hand news so I do not know the details.  From what I was told there were 7 attackers. Very nearly ended up riding there myself as we were riding in a bigger group but now realise that is is just not safe to go there.

Should maybe let the off road biking community know about this,this area is quite popular with them as well.

Gravity Sucks, if you can, please ask both your sources to ask the victims to contact Director Andre Wiese at the Irene police station urgently. 

Heard there was another attack near the R21 Engen this last Saturday. Heard this form 2 sources but it is 2nd hand news so I do not know the details.  From what I was told there were 7 attackers. Very nearly ended up riding there myself as we were riding in a bigger group but now realise that is is just not safe to go there.

IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS ANY MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS LATEST ATTACK PLEASE CONTACT ME URGENTLY BY PM

Two more riders were hi-jacked behind the R21 Engen 1-Stop this past Saturday (21 Mar?).

Fortunately police were at the Engen and one bike was recovered and one arrest made.
idrive2009-03-23 23:45:32