Bike jacking - R21 Engen

Gravity Sux

Uh, oh!!

I ride on my own 99% of the time and that's my riding area. I follow the railway line almost to Tembisa then coming back behind the 1-stop. I used to use the service road under the tunnel, but with roadworks I stay on the East side of the R21

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Weight Weenie, you are right about the camel back.  It is convenient but I became the main target because I was wearing it.  Also took a few blows because they couldn't full it off.  Had to unclip it for them.  I for one are not going to be riding with one in the future. I don't think we would have avoided the attack by not carrying one but I do think the attackers would not be going for something that is attached to you.  They still went through our back pockets so you can still expect to loose whatever is there.

idrive, this is the route we were attacked on. We crossed the railway and headed along the road that sort on heads towards the engen. The other option is to turn right towards the highway and then approach through the blue gumbs.  They were hiding where these two roads meet (about 100m from where you go through the wall into the Engen) so whichever way we had gone they could have attacked us.  My feeling is that the engen is a no go area at least for now.  As with the Cornwall Hill area there were attacks every couple of days so I wouldnt be suprised if there is another attack there soon...just don't go there.

I am not serious' date=' I do not expect to ever see it again.  Just know that whoever ends up with it will not know what to do with it and if they do I hope their front wheel dropps out at speed[/quote']

have a friend who was bike-jacked  about a year ago - he went back to the area and offered a reward for his bike back ... and he did get it back, he's still riding it ...

kind of an ethical dillemma: you can get your bike back for cheap, or having to let it go ... and hoping the police does something ...

anyway - get well soon - and i DO hope that the police DOES get your bike back :(

sorry to hear about ur encounter with the worse kind of people but not much u can do. Even if we go out riding in a bunch with as many as 10 peeps. . . . Someone always at the back or cant keep up. Ill try and drop some more SWAT spray aj grants. U can carry it on ur chest strap.

I get so angry when I read about these attacks.  GS I'm glad that you guys are ok, I guess the only consolation is that the proverbial wheel turns..

hope you're all good to ride again soon and recover from this trauma

PS Summit, sorry about your fall.. hope you feel better soon

Sorry to hear about this attack. Hope you are not to traumatized. A bicycle is a small price to pay when your live is at stake. We will sort them out, given a bit of time. The wheel turns!! smiley22.gif

They are gonna try their luck with the wrong person one of these days ...Problem is that the cyclist will be up for assault or worse....Angry

Is there a pattern to attacks. Like are they more common early morning, late afternoon, weekends or thursday etc?

idrive2009-02-22 12:33:53

No real Pattern . Two latish in the afternoon during the week between 4 and 5. Two on a Saturday between 9 and 10. The others seem mainly to have been mid to late afternoon. Between 7 and 8 attacks in the Cnturion area over the last 8  weeks. This last one seems to have followed almost the same modus operandi as the attack on Mathilda Barnard. probably the same people who have just moved their operations further out.

Just had a great ride in Sabie yesterday, and saw this sh*T...

GS, I'm glad that you guys are relatively unhurt.  I hope you guys feel better soon.  But this sucks.  Big time...

Jagwil, I'll check out your thread.  We as a community need to change this, and I wished I had the answer.

I do not have words... and better the few I have... not to be spoken.

** mini hijack but related **

apparently a guy was also bike jacked on the R44 opposite Cloetesville -- attacked by 2 guys, both armed with a knife. They made off with his bike and cell phone. (Happened Saturday morning at 9h15)

Thumbs%20Up

I see a lot of the scum riding expensive / not so expensive mountain bikes & it baffles me "where did this moron get this thing" many times I want to ram him off the road - moer him & take the bike...

I know violence begets violence & we cyclists are not "that way inclined" --- BUT how do we take "our own back?" -- do we start "bike-jacking these bastards?", do we ambush them or simply take what's ours ???

It will/could create "a war in its own" but hell something must be done about this - every form of crime/theft & down right criminal debauchery must come to an end.

I CANNOT STAND TO HAVE THEM CLOSE TO ME -- I HAVE HAD ENOUGH ENCOUNTERS WITH THEM BUT SO "HELP HIM GOD" IF WE CATCH HIM ALONE"

"DTThumbs%20Up"

The whole route down the Railway line is not safe. There is many areas where cable thieves strip the cable in the bush. Even people sleeping in the water drains under the railway line opposite the wild game area on the left that have a pumpaction shotgun. (someone else must have seen these guys on the 14th Feb)

The whole route next to the railway line till past the Engen is a huge risk at the moment!

Really sorry to hear but glad you ok.To elaborate on that point made about not wearing a camelback...if you need extra water you can get an adjustment that goes behind your saddle that can carry 2 extra water bottles.

Sorry - /Mini hijack (Sorry about the choice of preceding words too but!!) Where do you find those attachments to put extra water bottles behind ones seat? I have looked everywhere.