Race Ethics Lacking in "Developement Cyclist"

Pickles

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Agteros

I don't know about Beth' date=' but in our incident, it was too quick to take note of the riders league number, but he was an ACSIS cyclist. I believe our club will take it up with Acsis and WP Cycling. I've had enough PM's to assure me that the dangerous riding these guys display is no figment of my imagination! Whether anything comes of it remains to be seen, but at least their managers or sponsors or whoever is "in charge", will be made (officially) aware of what is taking place.[/quote']

My response was not directed at Beth directly, but more at the general attitude of 'it will not help ...'

Pickles, I hope for you contacting via the official channels will bear fruit. And yes, great that you made  the cycling community aware of the dangers posed by the lack of discipline / skills of the Acsis club/team.

Hope your son heals up quickly, and his passion for the sport is not diminished in any way.

We have had a problem with these guys as well (Vets 40+). We catch them then

they sit in our bunch causing absolute havoc and then sprint for the line even

though they're 1/2 an hour off the pace...

Bloody menaces. No clue on manners or skills...

Pickles, OUCH or your son - hope he heals up soon. OPC's comment re his gf saying burnshield is something i've been told by medics and docs as well. when i had my mega-crash at the shova i'd used expensive opthalmic ointement on my face (only the best would do) but i used burshield on all the other roasties and it worked.

'Race ethics'.

hahaha - anyone else notice the pun in that one?

OK, that's all I'm gonna say...well, that and when we get a few dropped juniors lurking in our bunch the development guys cause all kinds of trouble and don't listen when asked to get to the back...

is "developement cyclist" (sic) a euphemism?

No' date=' not a euphamism! I said developement rider, and that's what I meant.
[/quote'] then explain the quotation marks in the subject line?

'developement' riders being youngsters that are relatively new to the sport. Assisted/sponsored up-and-coming cyclists. In a state of sporting advancement!  They are identifiable as developement cyclists by their kit. Don't split hairs Holy. Stick to the point. These guys cause weekly accidents. Bad ones. More so than usual. They do not take any cognizance of their fellow riders, nor their own, safety.

I believe that if a sponsor is going to put their company's name and logo all over a cyclist, they should also put some effort into ensuring said cyclist is not a menace in a race. Be it with training or in any other relevant manner.

c'mon, don't be coy, just say "young darkie kid".
...cant say that mate!! Then all the PC and race police will be all over it and in no time the facts will be spin doctored from one of racing "ethics" to one of racism...

As die blixem weer vir jou se jou ma se )(@&$@$*!!!!!!!! dan raak dit tyd dat hy die teer proe op dieselfde manier as Pickles se kind. Dit wys jou van watse stoffasie en agtergrond die klein "developmunt" kind is.

En dit is byna lagwekkend dat iemand so gesiend soos Holy Roller puntjiestietterig raak oor die spelling en die gebruik van aanhalingstekens. ALMAL weet wie en wat die DEVELEOPMUNT kinders is en dat hulle deur die regering en sy beleid op ons afgedwing word. Ek dink die sponsors behoort die perde eers so bietjie life skills te leer voordat hulle op fietse losgelaat word. Hulle dink seker hulle is nog besig om tik af te laai op hulle BMX fietse.

Raait kom slag my maar!!!!!!!!

...cant say that mate!! Then all the PC and race police will be all over it and in no time the facts will be spin doctored from one of racing "ethics" to one of racism...

why not say it? it's implicit. call a spade a spade. pickles, i feel for your son, but have to take issue with your way of addressing it here. call it latent, call it inherent; you know i'm not wrong.

You capies sound a tad racists there! From this posting on the hub and the ones before this one' date=' can I safely assume no other crashes ever occur in CT besides the ones caused by 'development' riders? Jeez in Gauteng there are crashes every week in our races, so would it be correct to say that the whiteys in Gautend ride their bikes like blacks or that the whiteys in CT are just exceptionally gifted riders that it is just not possible for them to cause any crashes?

Skye, I sincerely hope Glyn tells you exactly where to shove your complaint!
[/quote']Just for the record ...

The term development rider/cyclist is one that is well used in the

western cape. The PPA coined it here, I believe, when they started to focus

on involving young under-privileged kids from mainly Kayalitsha, Langa & Masiphumele. In principle it is a very good  thing but as often is the case the implementation is often... well ... dare I say, racist.

Anyone who

is involved in cycling to any extent in the western cape knows exactly

which group of kids are being referred to by the term "development cyclists". Using the term

does not necessarily infer any negative racist connotations (well anymore racist than the make-up of the group of course). But South Africans are so "race sensitive" that we quickly lose sight of the underlying issue here. Why is this thread being treated differently from any other such as white line issues, running red lights etc etc etc

The facts are that these kids have a bad rep for

a) being generally irresponsible

b) having caused a number of crashes

c) not responding well to criticism

d) cheating

Obviously not that they are all like this (and the comments obviously apply to some pale teams in the elite group too). I've seen both sides of the P&P kids. They train like demons in all weather and come across as being very very dedicated when someone actually does engage them in a positive manner. And on the other side I've witnessed first hand the negatives I mention above.

The sooner these kids get thru the "development phase" and are absorbed into the other teams the better for everyone. Until that happens it will be a "them & us" situation and any criticism will be jumped on by the likes of carbonboy & others as being based on racism rather than for what it is really.

from the PPA website

"Development & Transformation

The Pedal Power Association's Development & Transformation portfolio for 2008/9 is headed by Elton Davids.The

Transformation and Development of cycling is growing by the day. Within

the last year we have seen a greater visibility of development and

transformation cyclists at PPA road funrides, as well as MTB events.

The keen interest within our surrounding communities indicate the

positive marketing exposure by our current development cycling clubs.

The PPA supports cycling development and transformation in several ways:

a) Club/school support

Apart from running specific projects throughout the year, the Pedal

Power Association has an ongoing development club support system in

place, specifically aimed at assisting clubs in previously

disadvantaged areas.

Club support entails offering subsidised PPA membership to cyclists

who need assistance in this regard, event entries; transport to attend

events, transponders, CSA licenses, and cycling equipment. At present

over 500 cyclists are registered with development clubs registered with

the PPA.  Regular monthly meetings are held to discuss cycling issues,

general assistance and how to grow cycling in their respective areas.

At the time of writing, the following communities were included:

Khayelitsha, Langa, Belhar, Elsies River, Bishop Lavis, Mitchells

Plain, Steenberg, Retreat, Wynberg, Ottery, Athlone, Bellville,

Atlantis, Paarl and a few farm schools in the Stellenbosch, Grabouw,

Hex River and Worcester areas."

En dit is byna lagwekkend dat iemand so gesiend soos Holy Roller puntjiestietterig raak oor die spelling en die gebruik van aanhalingstekens.

(sic) denotes that it's not my misspelling. the quotation marks are deliberate. that's my point. totally unnecessary. argue it till you're blue in the face. i'm not wrong.holy roller2009-02-22 09:48:22

En dit is byna lagwekkend dat iemand so gesiend soos Holy Roller puntjiestietterig raak oor die spelling en die gebruik van aanhalingstekens.

(sic) denotes that it's not my misspelling. the quotation marks are deliberate. that's my point. totally unnecessary. argue it till you're blue in the face. i'm not wrong.

Ek ken die verskillende notasie tekens wat in die bedryf gebruik word en gebruik dit soms ook........... nog steeds puntjiestiet en onnodig!!!!!!!!

Guest Agteros

Holy, do not try and elicit debate for the sake of debate please. The issue here is a group of riders (Acsis club/team - call them what you want, but they stay the Acsis group of riders) causing havoc in the road races.

Surely this should and may be addressed by anybody who has a problem with their lack of riding skills / ethics?

I've only recently taken up road racing (doing my second road race this coming weekend) and reading stories of groups of people (clubs, teams, whoever) behaving like this, kinda makes me wonder whether it is really worth it to pursue this line of cycling as I hopefully progress through the batches from the back.

The races should be safe (as much as possible) for all participants. How long before an Acsis rider is going to get pushed of his/her bike in retaliation? Would that be fair?

Remember, they set an example of accepted (not acceptable) behaviour for other riders, and if their behaviour is not acceptable it should be addressed.

Please do no split hairs because of characteristics used to identify them(Acis Team/Club) as a group!

(sic) denotes that it's not my misspelling. the quotation marks are deliberate. that's my point. totally unnecessary. argue it till you're blue in the face. i'm not wrong.

?

Ek ken die verskillende notasie tekens wat in die bedryf gebruik word en gebruik dit soms ook........... nog steeds puntjiestiet en onnodig!!!!!!!!

you agree with me?

Holy' date=' do not try and elicit debate for the sake of debate please. The issue here is a group of riders (Acsis club/team - call them what you want, but they stay the Acsis group of riders) causing havoc in the road races. Surely this should and may be addressed by anybody who has a problem with their lack of riding skills / ethics?I've only recently taken up road racing (doing my second road race this coming weekend) and reading stories of groups of people (clubs, teams, whoever) behaving like this, kinda makes me wonder whether it is really worth it to pursue this line of cycling as I hopefully progress through the batches from the back.The races should be safe (as much as possible) for all participants. How long before an Acsis rider is going to get pushed of his/her bike in retaliation? Would that be fair? Remember, they set an example of accepted (not acceptable) behaviour for other riders, and if their behaviour is not acceptable it should be addressed. Please do no split hairs because of characteristics used to identify them(Acis Team/Club) as a group![/quote']

fair enough. but why isn't the topic for discussion headed with the words "Race Ethics Lacking in "Acsis club/team"?

Guest Agteros

Holy' date=' do not try and elicit debate for the sake of debate please. The issue here is a group of riders (Acsis club/team - call them what you want, but they stay the Acsis group of riders) causing havoc in the road races. Surely this should and may be addressed by anybody who has a problem with their lack of riding skills / ethics?I've only recently taken up road racing (doing my second road race this coming weekend) and reading stories of groups of people (clubs, teams, whoever) behaving like this, kinda makes me wonder whether it is really worth it to pursue this line of cycling as I hopefully progress through the batches from the back.The races should be safe (as much as possible) for all participants. How long before an Acsis rider is going to get pushed of his/her bike in retaliation? Would that be fair? Remember, they set an example of accepted (not acceptable) behaviour for other riders, and if their behaviour is not acceptable it should be addressed. Please do no split hairs because of characteristics used to identify them(Acis Team/Club) as a group![/quote']

fair enough. but why isn't the topic for discussion headed with the words "Race Ethics Lacking in "Acsis club/team"?

Granted.

Pickles, you willing to change the title of the thread to keep this on track?