Trigger vs Twist Shifters

Wheelsuck

• 11 months later...

I'm considering going from XTR triggers, XT Shadow RD to Sram but am trying to decide on trigger again or twist...

Any new thoughts on this?

Triggers are great but stay away from the Hydro Brakes! If you stripp the bolt head holding them to the bar! (As i did with little or no effort) there is no spares in the country? sh*tmano with no spares! i now have to wait 1.5 months!!!! Angry

Clown JOKERS Clown 

Its just so wrong! typical that the pitch is so diffrent on the thread that no local bolt supplier can help me! Cry

Looks like i am on my way to SRAM Big%20smile

Anyone have any idea's or advice (related to the bolt)?

I'm considering going from XTR triggers' date=' XT Shadow RD to Sram but am trying to decide on trigger again or twist...

Any new thoughts on this?

[/quote']

If you do go this route let me know if you want to Sell the XTR shifters.

Thanks

How much Mud do you get on your shifters anyway?

Since I will be trying new things...I may try the twisties... I like the idea of a cleaner cockpit.

Doesn't Burry ride twist shifters?
Nope' date=' XX doesn't come out in gripshift[/quote']

Mebbe he rides XO then? .... Actually I should check, have pikshas of Burry's bike smiley9.gif

As to twist shifters though, I rode them for years. Definately going to move back to them and take off the triggers.

But shifters I reckon are a personal thing, like shoes, saddles etc ... It's a contact point and different folk prefer one over the other. Not to say one option is better or worse than the other.

Ok well I think he did before he was on XX...

I have the best of both worlds; grip shift on the left (which allows you to trim the front derailleur, and doesn't cause blisters because the shifting is less frequent) and triggers on the right.

I disagree with JB's assertion about the cable pull ratio. I think there is something to Sram's 1:1 ratio, and I have had much more reliable shifting since I changed to Sram on the MTB. Bored girl has experienced the same thing. Besides shifter, rear derailleur combination, I run Shimano FD, wheels, cranks and brakes, so I am by no means a Sram die hard - just like the product that works best.

I sometimes wonder if Shimano regrets its ratios. Even on the road groupsets, Sram and Campy pull considerably more cable per click than Shimano.

I've been with Twisters on various mtb's now for +15 years, ?so very used to them. ?

Changed to X.0 on my 'racing' MTB recently from XT because I really couldnt get used to triggers and find twisting easier all around, esp. when you can give it one big twist to fastrack ?some gear changes.? On my everyday bike I got 7.0 now for 9+ years. ?Never had any problems with them but its time for a refresh to X.0, ?CRC stock levels willing... ?

I rode xt dual control levers for years, till last year when i felt like a change and went the whole SRAM route. Deceided on X-9 through out and wanted gripshift.Well first ride took some getting use to but now will never look back.Like the trim u have on the front deraileur. It just works

Ok well I think he did before he was on XX....

Just checked, has trigger shifters on his S-Works Epic.

pg 74 of Tread, My Bike.

Twisters ->

Easy trimming

Uncluttered bars

Easier to change gears when out of the saddle

Dump / grab a whole lot of gears at once (maybe not good practice but comes in useful for me, at least!)

Low maintenance

Simplicity

Less to break / catch

I got xtr trigger with the bike and dont really see the use of changing, I like and having an open area to grip.

Besides with xtr deraillers I can atleast shift up 2 gears and 4 down I think, more than enough for getting up and springting or a sudden uphill like xc, although I pre-shift and nevers seem to use these features...

My uncle loves giving me crap though coz im a weight weenie and the grips shifts are lighter hehehe. The front trim sounds cool, but one should not cross-shift ;)