Difference between Air & Coil forks

Zula

Hi guys,

Im considering a new hardtail. The one component that Im doing circles in my head with is the fork. The one bike has a rock shox recon, and the other a manitou drake air. Now as I understand it the recon is a coil fork and the manitou an air fork.

Firstly are air forks that much better??

Secondly are they really a pain to service??

Thirdly is there a huge difference between the recon and the tora??

Im looking for something as hassle free as possible that will carry on going for a few years to come.

Thanks

Hi guys' date='

Im considering a new hardtail. The one component that Im doing circles in my head with is the fork. The one bike has a rock shox recon, and the other a manitou drake air. Now as I understand it the recon is a coil fork and the manitou an air fork.

Im looking for something as hassle free as possible that will carry on going for a few years to come.

Thanks[/quote']

go rigid. smiley4.gif

blah blah linear spring rate blah blah progressive blah blah durability blah blah. this one can be argued till you're blue in the face. conclusion use waterever feels best for you. smiley4.gif

AS far as I know the Recon is a air fork.

The only major advantage of air forks is weight. Coil springs way a lot.

The recon come in air/u-turn(spring) and air U-turn as far as I know..Look on the website which one comes on your bike. Like Fleming said, air is lighter, and I will add more ajustable. Spring heavyer but ever so slightly stroke buy You wont notice.

Hi guys' date='

Thanks[/quote']

From my experience with Manitou air forks they need to be serviced often.  If you are based in Gauteng this is a real pain as manitou will not let your lbs service them, they have to be sent away to manitou which will leave you without a fork for at least a week.

So even though the rockshox coil forks are heavier I think it will be much more hassle free than the manitou.