MTB Tyres

Canaris

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Larsen TTs seem to be the tire of choice - good value for money, good wearing, and good grip.

Specialized also have some good tyres, in a good price range.

It kills me to have to pay more for my bike tyres than my car tyres.

Related to tyres, but completely unrelated to this thread - I have now had 4 punctures in 2 years on my Ritchey MTB tires - 3 of which were caused by the tyre liners chafing though the tube (the 4th was a massive nail that would have punctured a car tyre). Is there any easy way to avoid these tyre liner induced punctures, apart from rotating the the tube/tyre liner every now and then to spread the chafe? Do I have dodgy tyre liners? I have rounded the ends of the liners, so that there are no sharp corners. Am I the only one complaining of this?

sheesh 4 punctures in 2 years??? I've had more punctures than that in one day. smileys/smiley7.gif

Yeah - pity I can't find the Ritcheyy Excavader tyres anywhere - they have worked wonderfully (along with the tyre liners).

Yeah loose the liners and get Stans !! I did not know people still use liners ! I also think the TT is a very good all round tyre at a better price than the also good specialized tyres .

Ask Marius about Stans - his first ride with Stans resulted in a puncture, with sealant everywhere. Not sure if I want to go through that for the price of Stans.

4 puctures in two years!I could be that lucky.

I have never experienced the type you are talking about with regard to liners.

What I do find though when running on tubes and there is a long section of tar somehow the combination of liners,tubes and snot does not like heat and the holes open up.Strange.

I try to avoid all that kind of hassle by running proper tubeless with a full bottle of snot in each.

Maxxis Larsen TT's EXCEPTION(450g)  / Schwalbe - Racing Ralph Evolution(470g) , looks good, had a very good weight and with Stans you can't go wrong.

I'm using a Conti Supersonic Twister(350g) at the front with Stans and a Explorer SuperSonic(450g) at the back and I'll not recommend it to you.

Yep, the Larsen TT's are probably the best allrounders.

Schwable's are my fav though, but too expensive locally.

Havent tried it yet DR, but if i do i'll get the LBS to do it.

Got my 1st Puncture on the MTB in a long time yesterday. smileys/smiley7.gif 

Reading up on the Larsens TT it gets good reviews

scotty, I was sooooo excited with CycleLab putting on my Stans for me for R25.....then after the little mishap with writing off the back rimI had to re-stan it but I had no more SEALENT CUZ THEY USED A HOLE BOTTLE WHEN THEY CONVERTED IT FOR ME. So I'm kinda pissed about that cuz it QUITE FORKING EXPENCIVE AT R200 A BOTTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!smileys/smiley7.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I've just fitted a Maxxis Ranchero to the back - so far so good and it rolls nicely

Maxiss Larsen TT.  And as for the guys with their punctures, if you're a "heavy" weight like me and not REALLY worried about a few extra grams, try this for size.  No punctures sice starting with the MTB (2 years).  Use liners and "sludge". smileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley36.gif