Snapped Scalpel Frame

Azonic

So this is why they are affectionately known as Crackendales. This happened yesterday morning doing my regular ROAD ride. Rear suspension locked out as usual.

I flew this frame in from the States a few years back, kitted out with the best I could buy. Yep, I am not the first owner of this frame, however, I had it for allot longer than the first owner did, and have put this bike through its paces BIG TIME.

I found another entry on a bike forum on another oke's scalpel that broke at the exact same spot. He is fighting with Cannondale for a replacement but they claim its frame fatigue and they won't swop it. WTF is the lifetime frame warranty for then? This proves that even though someone else had this bike before I did, it would have broken anyway, regardless. The break is right on the top bottlecage boss - If that doesn't point to a design flaw then I don't know what does.

I e-mailed CDale in the states to plead my case, but as expected they offered me a toffee of my favourite flavour.

Replacement frame, bought locally will run on the upside of R15k. I can't do that. Thanks Crackendale, its been real.

20090303_110221_IMG_0344s.JPG

20090303_110255_IMG_0346s.JPG

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Johan,

As jy nie regkom nie kan daai breuk baie mooi reggemaak word met carbon fiber van die buitekant af... amper soos die carbon sleeves wat daai ou gebruik het om sy bamboes bike se tubes mee te las...

Sterkte...

I have raced and ridden these Scalpels for years and I have never had this problem!! Have you tried the local agents? Cannondale America will not help you as you have to go through the local agents first. Try them. Cape Cycle Systems. 021 7613528

This is sad when a bike like that breaks.So much for warranty.Speak to Gavin R he knows a guy that fixed a Alu stem for him.I rode with the stem while i was waiting for mine and never had a problem.

I have raced and ridden these Scalpels for years and I have never had this problem!! Have you tried the local agents? Cannondale America will not help you as you have to go through the local agents first. Try them. Cape Cycle Systems. 021 7613528

My LBS spoke to Cape Cycle Systems, they are willing to just do a better price on a new frame, won't swop for me.

Rather weak if you ask me.

This is sad when a bike like that breaks.So much for warranty.Speak to Gavin R he knows a guy that fixed a Alu stem for him.I rode with the stem while i was waiting for mine and never had a problem.

I'll talk to him next time I see him. I've almost got no bikes that are road worthy right now. My Trek MTB is in a condition, Scalpel now stuffed, Look's shifter's buggered... Maybe its a sign.

Johan' date='

As jy nie regkom nie kan daai breuk baie mooi reggemaak word met carbon fiber van die buitekant af... amper soos die carbon sleeves wat daai ou gebruik het om sy bamboes bike se tubes mee te las...

Sterkte...
[/quote']

Thanks Jo, sal kyk wat die opsies is. Weet net vir 'n feit ek betaal nie R15k+ vir 'n nuwe ene nie.

its like all distributors, they will ask you to take poto's of it, email it to them and write an essay on what exactly happened. they'll then say, 1) they never got an email from you. 2) the photo is too blurry or my personal favourite 3) your story doesnt make sense.

As a bike shop we have to even do this crap, now you think working in the business they'd trust our word and send the rep out or send us a replacement. nope not a chance and thats world wide, even here in aus.

Good luck with it tho azonic. will spk to our rep here and show him these photo's maybe who knows, i might be flying out with a new frame for you. will try, but good luck. sorry to hear of this bad news.

sorry ou maat.... dis n awesome raam dai..... ekt ook al a scalpel gesien wat da gebreek het.... maar die raleighs is baie bekend v hul breukplek daar

Good luck with it tho azonic. will spk to our rep here and show him these photo's maybe who knows' date=' i might be flying out with a new frame for you. will try, but good luck. sorry to hear of this bad news.

[/quote']

Would rock dude...

Here's what another oke wrote online:

"I am currently battling with them over my 5-year-old Scalpel (yes, a

mountain bike). It's made from the Optimo tubing and is slightly more

advanced than a CAAD 5 frame. It had the downtube snap at the

waterbottle braze-on (a clear cose fo a defect too). So, If you buy a

Cannodale, and the frame breaks after a few years from routine riding,

don't expect Cannodale to help you out."

Doesn't say much for their commitment to their product?

Cannondale is legendary for its generous warranty policies. First owners, of which I know quite a few, have never had a problem getting a warranty frame if there has been a problem. The one oke I know in Durban went through quite a few CAAD 4 and CAAD 5s, road bikes....dunno how he broke them but he did and got new ones sharp shoot. That's what the warranty says, that's what they give you. In my experience.

like intern's mate, i've had great service after returning dale stuff. somehow screwed the sliders on the lefty of my f900sl. took about 3 months to replace, but i got the same bike (with fatty) to ride in the meantime. smiley4.gif

Cannondale is legendary for its generous warranty policies. First owners' date=' of which I know quite a few, have never had a problem getting a warranty frame if there has been a problem. The one oke I know in Durban went through quite a few CAAD 4 and CAAD 5s, road bikes....dunno how he broke them but he did and got new ones sharp shoot. That's what the warranty says, that's what they give you. In my experience. [/quote']

As Intern has stated I also have never had a problem with a warranty from Cannondale in South Africa. Fortunately I have never broken a frame, but I have had a frame replaced because of a paint defect. As a first owner I have had no problems with Cannondale's warranty or their willingness to help!!

I saw you mentioned you are not the first owner of the frame...

As Mr Scalpel&Intern said first owners don't have problems. Claim it from your insurance (if you have any)GFishy2009-03-03 21:42:27