Azonic

Sorry to hear about your frame!!

I think not being the first owner here is the real issue with "Crackendale"

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, sorry Azonic, I didn't mean to sound unsympathetic, but you can't really paste a manufacturer for sticking to its policy. Hope you can make some sort of a plan to get sorted.

Johan' date='

As jy nie regkom nie kan daai breuk baie mooi reggemaak word met carbon fiber van die buitekant af... amper soos die carbon sleeves wat daai ou gebruik het om sy bamboes bike se tubes mee te las...

Sterkte...
[/quote']

Thanks Jo, sal kyk wat die opsies is. Weet net vir 'n feit ek betaal nie R15k+ vir 'n nuwe ene nie.

Het jy nie versekering op jou fiets nie? Dan kan hulle mos die 15k betaal?

Ek wil net 'n klip in die bos gooi.

Wat beteken 'n "lifetime warenty" (sic) dan? En wat daarvan dat een van hulle groot verkoops hoeke juis die kwaliteit van hulle rame is. En die feit dat die 2de eienaar nou probleme ontwikkel het, het in my sienning absoluut niks met die prys van eiers uit te waai nie. Daai breuk lyk vir my is nie een van misbruik nie. Dit lyk ook na 'n tendens, want ander het dieselfde breuk op hulle fietse gehad.

Soos julle sien is daar meer vrae as antwoorde, maar ek neem die reaksie van Canondale  baie negatief op.

Read the fine print....lifetime warranty*

*for 5 years

*for original owner only

*not valid if you do not have proof of purchase

*not valid if any modifications were made to the bike

*not valid if the bike were used for purposes not intended for.

ja, a lifetime warranty means that for the lifetime of the frame its under warranty,

.......until it breaks, then the its lifetime is over and its out of warranty Smile

Warranties are for faulty workmanship. If the welding comes loose or breaks. If you bend, dent or snap a tube in the middle it will be seen as abuse.

Take out insurance now and put a claim in in 6 months time. (I did not say that)

L'Bie (and others) - I also take umbrage at the fact that 'lifetime warranty' means a bunch of restricted terms. They should call it a limited replacement policy. I have a Trek Fuel frame which has cracked at the chainstay, and have seen several others that have suffered the same fate. So it's clearly a) a manufacturing defect or b) a design flaw. But, as I'm not the first owner, the agent couldn't give a stuff. I'm wondering what difference it would make if one person or two have ridden it?

Just a thought, maybe I'm being sour cos I have a wall ornament that'll cost about 3k to fix (replace rear triangle, only to have it do the same again in 2 years??)

Is it cracked right at the dropout?

You would be surprized how strong Carbon Fiber is... will be stronger than before...

Just rough up 30mm on each side of the break and carbon wrap it...

A good friend of mine has build his own carbon frame and the thing is still lasting 4 years later...

Carbon + the right epoxy sticks to other carbon or aluminium like you wouldn't believe.... just sand the areas around the break with 80 or 120 grit to rough it up....

Add to my above post... If it's cracked at the chainstay and not a clean break... then just  glue the chainstay back to the dropout with epoxy and then wrap it with carbon fiber... will never ever break again... and will look neat if done correctly...

See this link... http://www.bmeres.com/bambooframe.htm - If you can join/wrap bamboo as neatly as this... you can sleeve/join anything...

mmm do you expect it to last forever? Or just until it breaks so u can put up a fuss and expect a freebie? ? ?

Dream on. . .

It's alu, can get it welded... but the point is, lifetime warranty (which it's not) and limited replacement policy (which it is) are not the same, so they shouldn't be advertising it falsely. And I'm just not that keen on riding something that I've broken once before (call me paranoid or anal if you wish, I am both...)

So my next frame will be steel and bombproof. And a hardtail.

mmm do you expect it to last forever? Or just until it breaks so u can put up a fuss and expect a freebie? ? ?

Dream on. . .

STFU troll smiley7.gif

Welding the tubing at that point will just be one big f*kup. It's at the thinnest of the butted section... and the crack probably started at the bottle cage bolt's anchor nut...

Yes... it should last forever...

simply because Azonic babies his bikes... and simply because I have bike frames from the '90's that's been thrashed and still ok...

This trend bike advertisers brainwash us with - "have to buy a new bike every year or when ever a new design becomes available" is bullsh*t - any decent bike will last years and years.... 

Deore DX still shifts gears a decade later...

To me there's no diff if one or 5 people has owned the frame... when it breaks it breaks... Their 'lifetime' should mean at least 10 years and they should use a serial number database to track the manufacturing date of a certain frame...

To think I almost bought a new Scalpal frame end of 2008...

Dream on. . .

STFU troll smiley7.gif

LOL Clap LOL - bulls eye...

Clap