My SS

Hairy

Hi all

Please see below my SS MTB I have been building up from old parts and freebies from other riders.

She is just about ready for the trails once I can lay my hands on a set of brake levers.

The beauty of this project is that it has not cost me a cent to date to get it to this point!

I will photo shop in a couch later as I know you guys/ladies are into that sort of thing! The wife was not keen when I wanted to pop in the bike on the leather couches at home :)

Regards

Hairy

20090304_234856_-IMG_4942.jpg20090304_234912_-IMG_4944.jpg

Very nice well done...what  gear ratios you using?  What did you do for spacers...I've heard some guys use a piece of PVC pipe cut to the right length? You were lucky not to need a chain tensioner. 

Very nice well done...what  gear ratios you using?  What did you do for spacers...I've heard some guys use a piece of PVC pipe cut to the right length? You were lucky not to need a chain tensioner. 

that'll work. or just ask your lbs for some old spacers. they should have plenty lying around.

I stand corrected, but there's a chance he doesn't know what he's doing.

uh mean, the thing still has the yellow safety warning sticker on.

I have an old cro-moly Giant ATX 780 circa 1993 with Deore DX in not too horrible condition lying around at home...it still has one of the old school stems on that you tighten with an allen key from the top and currently has a rigid fork from a Mongoose Iboc Pro on it. I want to SS it and was wondering if anyone knew whether those would have a different diameter head tube to modern bikes? I have an old suspension fork I wouldnt mind putting on it and wanted to check if it would be compatible. XTC12009-03-05 03:56:26

I have an old cro-moly Giant ATX 780 circa 1993 with Deore DX in not too horrible condition lying around at home...it still has one of the old school stems on that you tighten with an allen key from the top and currently has a rigid fork from a Mongoose Iboc Pro on it. I want to SS it and was wondering if anyone knew whether those would have a different diameter head tube to modern bikes? I have an old suspension fork I wouldnt mind putting on it and wanted to check if it would be compatible.

stay rigid!

Hairy, ive got a set of STX brake levers (with removable 7sp rapid fire plus trigger shifters) you can have. They were off my 1994 Diamond Back and will work with your cantilever brakes. In fact i think i still have the cantilever arms if you want as well!

If you can organise postage / transport from JHB for them, they are yours.

Hairy' date=' ive got a set of STX brake levers (with removable 7sp rapid fire plus trigger shifters) you can have. They were off my 1994 Diamond Back and will work with your cantilever brakes. In fact i think i still have the cantilever arms if you want as well!

If you can organise postage / transport from JHB for them, they are yours.
[/quote']

imagine he had a diamond back. it would be a hairy backBig%20smile

Thanks guys

The chain tension just worked .. I guess I got lucky there.

The spacing of the sprocket to get the chain aligned was achieved by breaking up old cassettes and using the plastic spacers.

RE not knowing what I am doing ... this is true :)

I left the yellow warning sticker on as a bit of twisted humour. I will be riding a Giant fully rigid SS afterall!

Soooo.... if anyone has a set of brake levers lying about at home let me know!

Hairy