Maxxis ADvantage - LUST

splat

Those Nevegals are slow, but they stick to anything. Another good option for fast and grippy (but not that light) are WTB Prowlers. Just don't use them in mud, the knobs are way too closely spaced. For wet and muddy I pick Maxxis Minions. Slow and heavy, but they stick. They do wear quite fast though. But I'm also of the sort that'll sacrifice a bit of climbing speed for grip on the way down...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Minions wear depends on compound. Crossmarks are good tyres. They are a bit XC for me though. Can't rail them in corners and side knobs do not offer enough grip when leaned WAY over. But they are good tyres.

Like bikes, you have to buy a tyre that suits THE MOST of the riding you do or the type of riding you most enjoy. I don't travel 120k's to Tokai and back to go ride Jeep Track. Same with Eden. I don't go there to do k's. I don't mind k's or jeep track, but they are a means to an end: single track. Fast, flowy, techy single track. Throw in some drops and jumps and I'm a pig in ship.

Really nice combo on an XC bike I found is Nevegal FT XMark RR.

I have a Prowler SS for trail bike front, 60a. Sticks well except a little sketchy in the wet...and I thought it was wearing until I put a new tire on the front (Nokian Angry) and saw my ass properly! Ask droo, he saw the dripping red stuff.

Anyway, I vote WTB, good price, they stick, roll quick and chicks dig em lank...

Really nice combo on an XC bike I found is Nevegal FT XMark RR.
I have a Prowler SS for trail bike front' date=' 60a. Sticks well except a little sketchy in the wet...and I thought it was wearing until I put a new tire on the front (Nokian Angry) and saw my ass properly! Ask droo, he saw the dripping red stuff.

Anyway, I vote WTB, good price, they stick, roll quick and chicks dig em lank...
[/quote']

Good stuff. Where did youbuy WTB? which sidewalls are good for tubless ?

Is the 60a & 80a only the hardness of the rubber?

• 2 weeks later...

Are any of you guys ready to order? I need around R700 on my CRC to get free shipping.

Help a brother out.

Sorry Crow, skint...going to have to slide down the trail (hopefully not on my ass again)

BOS1000 - got the WTB at Bowmans in CT. Should have bought more when they were there Cry. They aren't tubeless ready (LUST) but are folding and pretty light, maybe not to good for tubeless...then again I ain't a fan neither.

Ja, 60a is hardness of rubber / durometer.

42a - super tacky, like poo on a bunny

60a - sticky, rolls well, wears ok (bit fast on the back)

70a - good for rear but slimy in the wet. wet roots become glass which makes you see your ....

Wouldn't touch anything above that unless you putting them on a bike from Game for a 10 year old who like to skid down hills.

Thanks More trails. I ended up going for the WTB  Wolverenes. Its just one of those things.. I liked what they look like. So Im going to try them.

Im planning on riding them Tubeless..

The day I went passed Bowmons to see if they had any I could have a look at. I happened to see a bike with them fitted. they are smaller than the 2.2 suggests. Shan Wilson said they were great and he used to race them all the time. said they are very fast. this is good.

But.. and theres always a but. He said they are a bitch to seal tubless...bugger.

Maxxis Monorails are the most popular choice down here in the lowveld. They excel on Sabie Experience rocks, Sabie classic climbs and Mankele XC singletrack. Theyre great mud shedders and roll superbly on hardpack, monorail pretty much covers the handling aspect, slightly heavier than their cousins but with LUST sidewalls its tough to beat these great allrounders..