Soft Discs

TooManyMatts

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What? Breast warts?

close as you're gonna get' date=' Legend...

Here you go though... oil coated, freshly turned, ready to be screwed.... NIPPLES!
[/quote']

you bastard! you turn da girls' nipples?

I can't. N....n.....n. N....n

Bbbbbbbrustwarze

OK. Now you should sleep well. Sweet dreams.

hmmmm

NAIS

sweet dreams to you too, oom.

What? Breast warts?

close as you're gonna get' date=' Legend...

Here you go though... oil coated, freshly turned, ready to be screwed.... NIPPLES!

[/quote']

you bastard! you turn da girls' nipples?

of course - i don't turn my own. That'd just be strange.

and only softly... softly turned nipples...

No. The lever action does not become harder when pumped repeatedly. The travel and feel of the lever is the same on every stroke even when pumped repeatedly and fast.

Therefore I think that my bleed job got all or most of the air out of the line. I did it yesterday.

Let me take another shot at explaining the system. The problem is that the lever has to be pulled far too close to the handlebars to achieve good braking power and even when fully activated the lever still feels soft. Another noteworthy point is that the pistons do not work symmetrically. One piston moves more than the other.

A friend says that it could be that the brake hose itself is flexing to case the "softness". This does not explain the problem of the extent you have to pull the lever.

Hmmm....sounds intriguing!!!

IMHO - I also think it might be some sort of hose / cable effect (absorbing the pressure that has been applied through the expansion of the oil). Aftreall, the system is quite old already??

Come on JB! - I'm really waiting for a good explanation on this!!

Enough about nipples etc. etc.

I'm on a learning curve here...Big%20smile

There is something wrong and we're all overlooking the problem. E-mail diagnostics are not easy. If you're in Jhb I'll look at the bike for you. Hydraulic systems are simple and there are only so many places where the pumped fluid can dissappear to. Maybe it is not even being pumped? A bulging  brake line is easy to spot and feel. I don't think it is that. It sounds like a master cyclinder problem but lets look.

Maybe the fluid is not the problem, the initial pad contact may be too far, or the pads are really worn... I.e the pistons are pumping and returning but it takes a long time for the pad to reach the disk?

Maybe the fluid is not the problem' date=' the initial pad contact may be too far, or the pads are really worn... I.e the pistons are pumping and returning but it takes a long time for the pad to reach the disk? [/quote']

No, hydraulic brakes don't work like that. There is no retraction mechanism, so the pads always stay in close contact with the disc and the amount of lever travel to initiate braking is always the same. If the pads are removed (to mimic lthe ultimate worn pad), the pistons will pop out.

Maybe the fluid is not the problem' date=' the initial pad contact may be too far, or the pads are really worn... I.e the pistons are pumping and returning but it takes a long time for the pad to reach the disk? [/quote']

?

No, hydraulic brakes don't work like that. There is no retraction mechanism, so the pads always stay in close contact with the disc and the amount of lever travel to initiate braking is always the same. If the pads are removed (to mimic lthe ultimate worn pad), the pistons will pop out.

100 % Korrek and my advice would be to never let the pads get worn that far, it could be quite a problem.

Yip, like disc brakes on a car or motorbike, they are constantly ever so slightly in contact, the pads with the disc...

100 % Korrek and my advice would be to never let the pads get worn that far, it could be quite a problem.

He he... Metal on metal... wheee...

On the Hayes Sole hydraulics it's possible to adjust the fixed side so that it's very difficult to make contact. 

I won't admit anything of the sort. These jokes are purile. Every day of my life I work with nipples and balls and pumping brakes and hard and soft. If I have to crack up and piss myself laughing each time these terms come up I'll get nothing done.

It's sad to see how the this forum always reverts to the lowest common denominator. It's REALLY tiring reading any post on the hub as you constantly have to sift through personal chats, inane posts and complete rubbish. It's as if 95% of the people who post here have nothing better to do than waste their employer's time.

I can't imagine how unproductive some of these people must actually be. I saw earlier a guy on here who is nearly at 20 000 posts. This is something like 30 posts a day. This same person had a post on here about being retrenched. Go figure. Sorry to say it, but the hub is littered with rubbish posts and it's one of the most poorly managed and uninformative forums I've ever seen. I frequent a few other forums to do with my business and almost every post on them is relevant.

Johan, your posts are great, and while I sometimes don't always agree with your opinions, they are always informed and relevant.

There are other ways of 'chatting' on the web like Facebook chat, msn and skype. It's just pathetic to post *mini hijack*, ask some personal irrelevant question about if XYZ wants to go for a ride etc. It wastes people's time, but then again, by the looks of it, some people here have a LOT to waste.

i seem to have the same problem with my disc brakes. Have bled the brakes. Bt mine are fairly new. curious to see what the solution is here so i can try it.

Shimano have introduced their 'wave' technology (adapted from their cable brakes) to their disks.  The disc will not / isn't designed to have the same on/off behaviour as other brands, so the first part of the movement will feel soft, however when you do tighten up they will hold you very nicely.  Advantages are less drag on the disc, better modulation, finer control, etc. The displacement of the pads accelerates as you move through the stroke of the lever so that braking forces go up as you reach the white knuckle stage.