Cutting a seatpost - can I stuff this up?

Hog_

Serious question.

Have a new seatpost, need to chop it in half cause they only had looooong ones in stock. I know the minimum insert needs to stay the same, so I'll allow for that.

Now, I have a normal hand saw. Will this do the job, or should I rather go out and get a pipe cutter?

Funny that you mention a pipe cutter. I would have recomended that but the instructions on the Thomson posts say to use a hacksaw instead. I take it you're is not a Thomson.

Pipe cutter is the best bet, it automatically tapers the end for you as well. Even better, do it on a lathe, thats how I did mine Big%20smile

It's a PRO aluminium post, so I doubt the pipe cutter can do any damage. Guess there's only 1 way to find out. I'll let you all know after my possibly seat-less Trials ride this afternoon! LOL

what a PANSIE, can't believe this is a topic...saag die ding! It's not a porcelain doll!

what a PANSIE' date=' can't believe this is a topic...saag die ding! It's not a porcelain doll!

[/quote']

Says the POPCORN Man.

Went to the hardware store to buy a pipe cutter, told the guy I need it to cut 1 pipe, he looked at me like I was a complete nutcase. Told me they can cut it in house. Luckily I had it in the car, so 2 minutes later I have a nicely cut seat post, total cost = 0.

Sschweeeet!

The cutter would have cost over R200.