Mountain Biking disappointed the 1st time

cyclone

Dont give up - mtb is not about the sweat and tears its about letting loose.

naaaaaa' date=' it's about bustin' the sickness! whOOOOOP

[/quote']

You are born a mtbiker...

The pearls don't come with the bike. So dry your eyes, and go find a road bike somewere.

errrrrr, ooooookay. whatever you said, I'm sure at least you understood it. Either way, have a nice day

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EASY!!!!!

When some one asks me for encouragement or advice on Road biking after they've have bad experience, I usually offer to take them on a ride and show them the ropes and share any help I can.If they cycled along main road in peak traffic i would take them over Chapmans peak when wind was calm or some other beautiful ride(you get my point)I would try find out what they didn't like and clear up any misconceptions.Cycling is a sport I love and I it's awesome when you can introduce someone else to this World.

I tried mountain biking, had a bad experience and went to thehub for advise....because isn't this where a south african cyclist asks for advice on these things, maybe not. Thanks for those who responded appropriatley.Going to head out again today.Anyone got some advice on where I should try, nothing to technical I will have my wife with me.

cyclone2009-03-22 03:08:17

yeah, put on some slicks and go ride Chapman's peakBig%20smile

If it's pain and hills you want, you can goto Silvermine and ride the mtb trail there, or you can ride on the tracks below table mountain [enter from tafelberg road], or drive to stellies and ride at Jonkershoek.

there, is that helpful enough?

EASY!!!!!When some one asks me for encouragement or advice on Road biking after they've have bad experience' date=' I usually offer to take them on a ride and show them the ropes and share any help I can.If they cycled along main road in peak traffic i would take them over Chapmans peak when wind was calm or some other beautiful ride(you get my point)I would try find out what they didn't like and clear up any misconceptions.Cycling is a sport I love and I it's awesome when you can introduce someone else to this World.I tried mountain biking, had a bad experience and went to thehub for advise....because isn't this where a south african cyclist asks for advice on these things, maybe not. Thanks for those who responded appropriatley.Going to head out again today.Anyone got some advice on where I should try, nothing to technical I will have my wife with me.

[/quote']

you can't really fault us for our answers. you say it was disappointing because it was too hard, and didn't break a sweat, yet you want to do this with an inexperienced wife. make up you mind. your initial post was confusing to start off with.

this morning, i rode at the mtn bike park with someone who is getting back into the sport after a nasty injury ruled her out of the sport shortly after getting her first bike. she had one of the most horrendous crashes i have ever seen today. she fell off the bridge that takes you to ewok. she landed on her head and neck, and had me worried that she had broken something serious. that was the end of the ride. the paramedic spent quite some time with her. i felt bad for her, but she was having none of it. she would get back on the bike again (ok, after she gets a replacement helmet - it's cracked badly - and sorts out the taco-ed wheel).

point is, anyone's first ride can be an awful experience. mountain biking is, simply put, a glorious accident. just get out there and do it again. be patient with the wife. be patient with yourself. be patient with the trails. the mojo will come to you.

is that appropriate enough for you?

holy roller2009-03-22 07:54:20

it's also no use trying to go out alone.

people who know where the tracks are, will be able to take you on the most enjoyable routes for your level - or slightly above <evil grin>\

they might be able to show you how to ride something that you thought were difficult

and mountainbiking is FAR more fun doing WITH someone ... or lots of someones.

it's also no use trying to go out alone.people who know where the tracks are' date=' will be able to take you on the most enjoyable routes for your level - or slightly above <evil grin>\they might be able to show you how to ride something that you thought were difficultand mountainbiking is FAR more fun doing WITH someone ... or lots of someones.

[/quote']

oi, when we hitting the trails again? smiley2.gif

Guest Big H
yes' date=' please trash the idea of MTB. It's clearly not for you and frankly we're all sick of roadies clogging up our trails. If you can't have fun offroad then u'r either not on the trails, or you are going too slowly, or you are just too serious about life and need to learn to let go of the brakes and let rip a little.
Either way, thanks for playing, and we hope NOT to see you there in future.
[/quote']

Sicknessinthebutt...... I think you must share the Gromgat title with TNT1!!!!!!

Ouens soos jy is die wat my afpis oor fietsry....... jy is NIKS beter as die volgende ou wat 'n fiets opsaal nie. Nog minder is jy beter omdat jy daarvan hou om op grondpaadjies jou lekkerkry te kry nie. Piepotte soos jy moet maar eerder wegbly van teerpaaie af. Ek dink jy sal net so suurgat wees as jy op die pad ry.

Ek het juis die knoppieswiele weer op die MTB Tandem gesit en ons trap die sandstrate van Ondjiva alweer plat met die ou fietsie.
Big H2009-03-22 07:34:52

Cyclone - suggest you have a look at the map they've got at the Arboretum gate.  Its got several routes marked.  The road to Silvermine is really pretty (and a tad bumpy towards the end...).  Also - the ride to the mast has stunning views and might suit you better?  Its a half / half ride with some tar for you.  The last 5.5km's averages about 9-10% gradient (probably the biggest hill in CT! Should help you break a sweat.

Oh and on the way back down, look out for the singletrack on the left once you're back on Level 5 (see aforementioned map).

Hope you enjoyed it - twas an absolutely stunning day out there this morning

holy - that other weekend at the secret location 3 weekends from now? :)

the not-so-secret secret location? kewl...........think i'll manage those trails.holy roller2009-03-22 09:41:54

cyclone, surely you can't diss anything after trying it just once?  I mean I'm sure if I tried fencing or ballroom dancing I'd be pretty crap at it initially.  Maybe a little more patience is required and do go with some people who know where to ride.  It really does make a world of difference.

My first attempts at riding resulted in a few nasty spills: day one I fell off a bridge, which was okay if somewhat damaging to my ego. day 2 I crashed on a corner at the bottom of MF1 and tore open my knee... The fact that both of these spills were as a result of my incompetence in no way lessened the pleasure or made MTB anything less than awesome.

There are loads of people riding in Tokai and most of them will help if you ask, and sometimes some will help even before you ask.  Alternatively why don't you come round the other side of town and ride in deer park towards Rhodes mem.  Also a brilliant ride, but a little more intense than Tokai.

in fact give me a pm and I'll happily take you along my favourite haunts.

snip' date=' snip, snip

in fact give me a pm and I'll happily take you along my favourite haunts.
[/quote']

What a great post, for a moment there my faith in the mtb'ing community was failing.  Good on you supertorro! Clap

cyclone, I hope you find the fulfillment in mtb'ing that I have Smile

Nancy Drew2009-03-22 09:14:24

Okay,well today was a whole new kettle of fish.Wife and I headed to  Arboretum gate in Tokai and decided to climb to the mast.Beautiful day and beautiful views! Yesterday i was churning in the sand in the totally wrong neck of Tokai to be doing any proper MTB'ing.

Wife not being used to gravel fell alot and needed some push starts to get going and the tarred section(at least 10%) really did give my quads a deep burn. Was fantastic fun, especially the downhill single track sections,was amazed how much abuse this GT could take.Thanks for the advice everyone and for all those who PM'ed me with advice and invites.Bad first day intro to MTB, brilliant 2nd.Not at all ready to let my slicks collect dust but both forms of the sport seem to have their merits.

cyclone2009-03-22 09:30:19

Good news Cyclone, the wife and I used to do the road thing,we found it boring riding more than 100km's a time just to get a push. MTB'king is you and what you want from the route. Enjoy! MtBryda2009-03-22 10:06:11