MTBers - why oh why?

Joe Low

Why would I ride my MTB on a dirt path parallel to a tar road ?

In my opinion it's far more fun. Off-road (even parallel to a tar road), the element of surprise is never too far away, whether you have to bunny hop over a drainage ditch or you spot a piece of single track which you can wind down. In general as opposed to cycling on the tar, it's far more exhilarating.

5 - 0 Woohoo !!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Desperate quest for validation Holy - i'll say yes but only cos u've had a really bad day mtbikin.

Was gonna let it drop but MiniBen got me thinkin again.

In kruger u see more animals than you statstically should cuz they're clever enough to work out that movin on the road is easier for them than trekin thru the bush.

Now they dont like the road it's not natural to them but they'll use it when it's on their way to somewhere intrestin.

So just cos it sez off-road why make a hard n fast rule about no tar if it makes things more difficult.

Nancy & Thug - I reckon that's good enough
Joe Low2009-03-22 12:37:58

*holy adopts sting falsettto* i want my...i want my...i want my mtb...*and as mark knofler hits the opening riffs, holy drifts off to sleep...* night all! love ya!

...even goofs smiley1.gif holy roller2009-03-22 12:35:56

Desperate quest for validation Holy - i'll say yes but only cos u've had a really bad day mtbikin.

she says she's okay, but i still feel crap about it. i now have matching cracked ribs, but it's all part of the fun smiley9.gif

Guest Big H
It's a little known fact Joe' date=' that tar actually does untold damage to our tyres.  So the answer to your question is that it's in the interest of our trusty steeds that we avoid the tar.  The other problem with tar is that it's littered with Roadies, so we'll take our chances with used condoms and body parts

[/quote']

Is dit regtig nodig om so tert te wees??????

if its easy its not fun, if its not fun, why ride it,, my opinion i guess so use it or dont it dont matter to me, i justlove to ride my mountainbike and love to do it off the road,

its LITTLE-BENWink
Little-Ben2009-03-22 12:49:55

she says she's okay' date=' but i still feel crap about it. i now have matching cracked ribs, but it's all part of the fun smiley9.gif [/quote']

Course u feel bad Holy, but it's not v reasonable - u wouldn't blame you if you were her. It'll all look better in the morning.

It's a little known fact Joe' date=' that tar actually does untold damage to our tyres.  So the answer to your question is that it's in the interest of our trusty steeds that we avoid the tar.  The other problem with tar is that it's littered with Roadies, so we'll take our chances with used condoms and body parts

[/quote']

Is dit regtig nodig om so tert te wees??????

Read Joe Lows original post properly before giving your unwanted 2cents worth

"I want you to get swept away. I want you to levitate. I want you to sing with rapture, dance like a dervish."

That is one surprising signature for you BigH - someone sneak in and change your profile?

You do know dervishes are muslim mystics and levitation is generally frowned on in church circles?

All power to you though, v cool sentiment.

My belated 2 cents worth:

When I was unfit, I opted to steal a bit of tar at every opportunity when MTB'ing. Now my rides are training rides, as such I try maximise my MTB training. Stealing tar time I am decreasing my training time. Tar is friendly (easy on the body), predictable, etc. Riding next to the tar when between dirt is ideal for training, it is more difficult both from a resistance point of view and full body work out. Added to this you need to conitnue concentrating, looking for hidden obsticles and yes in many way you avoid those vehicles wanting to flatten you.

Truely it does make sense why we choose the dirt. 

Guest Big H

"I want you to get swept away. I want you to levitate. I want you to sing with rapture' date=' dance like a dervish."

That is one surprising signature for you BigH - someone sneak in and change your profile?

You do know dervishes are muslim mystics and levitation is generally frowned on in church circles?

All power to you though, v cool sentiment.

[/quote']

Low Joe...... the answer to both questions are yes. I changed it because it seems to bother you!!!!!!

Dear Joe ... we MTB'ers ride on the side because we can. On many an occation you will also find a MTB rider passing a roadie from the dirt/dark side of the road.

Try that MTB for the 4th time and accept you will fall that way you won't be upset when it does happen.

So peace love and happiness to all you tree hugging, bunny cuddling, veggie eating hippies smiley1.gif

Regards

Hairy

Oh and Joe' date=' you're just lazeeeeeeeeee! [/quote']

That's me, you know I just can't help myself.  I turn on taps instead of walkin to the river for water; I buy veg from the shops instead of ploughin up my garden - hell, I don't even service my own bike.

So give me a smooth road an I'm there every time - it's a weakness but what can you do?

99% of the time there are walkways on sides of roads. They are singletracks. I'm always keen to ride dirt tracks rather that wreck my R900 conti's on a stupid, boring, car hogged tar road. It's called having fun, something perhaps roadies are not used to. In any case we like our dirt strips. Do I care if you have a problem with it? Let me think REALLY hard, ummm, no. Do I care if you don't like MTB? Nope. Do I care if you're such a technically bad rider that you fall every ride you do? Nope again. I do however invite ALL roadies to ride our STOOPID trails 'cos I for one love seeing people prang in ridiculous ways. It makes my day actually. Bring it on. I also LOVE hardpassing roadies on technical tracks 'cos while they were riding their intervals on boring tar roads, my mates and I were getting in singletrack dirt mileage wherever we could.