Should the bridge stay or go  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Should the bridge stay or go

• THE BRIDGE CAN STAY SO WE CAN LAFF
    • see ya bridge
    • bridge must be burned
    • the bridge can stay so the weenies dont have to learn how
    • the bridge has GOT to go

I have seen a few roady types out there with their aero helmets and spandex face planting in this river' date=' and now because of this sordid bridge I have lost one of the few good laughing moment potential spots.

[/quote']

Seriously dude thats pretty lame of you to seek a smile from other peoples shortcomings.

Honestly I think its a nice little addition to that track, as I always had trouble going up the little rocky section, especially with clipless pedals. Because the fairie garden is so close to the car park it is frequented by riders from all levels, and being a newcomer to the sport I always found the river crossing disruptive to the ride.

A big thanks to all the guys out there fixing up the trails, love the new jump section to the forest singletracks, and all the little touches here and there really make a difference. Also love the additon of a bridge to that one drop off at the start of downhill 4 I think.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could say rather go ride the North Shore section

Whereabouts is the north shore section at?

sure its rideable to you and me but I think the focus is on the masses you are trying to get off the roads and enjoy riding in a safe(er) environment.

It's just nice to see people working on the trails........

now if they can only flatten out the main drag cos its starting to hurt on the single speed and I tried to ride my geared bike this weekend but I forgot how to change gears......

I?m sorry?.I think he has a valid point.  You fit in with the sport?you don?t make the sport (errm track with bridge) fit in with you and your level of competence. Come on. If you can?t do it, you are just going to try harder next time.  <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Hey Brudda Stop Complaining, They might Just take the bridge and all the hard work thats been going down away. Yes Im with you that the trails shouldnt be to easy, but Hey, thats the first one they got wrong.

And I think You should CHILLAX a bit .... Lots of people ride these trails, And not everyone can appreciate these sections the way we do.

If stayed in the S subs (the wet area with the narrow road and lots of traffic) I would vote for the Bridge to stay, we need the Bridge for the funrider-mountenbikers.

Like I said you're not the only one on the mountain. It's the first bit of single track from the parking lot and therefore most likely to be ridden by beginners.

I could say rather go ride the North Shore section' date=' but a better idea is for you to stop complaining and go and help with the work parties in building better trails.

Would you like the contact details?
[/quote']

Exactly.

Oh and BTS (easier to type), did you ever consider that lots of people ride this singletrack <em>the other way</em> (ie coming down)? The bermed bridge now makes it possible to ride, whereas I've always needed to portage it before.

We had the same with the spruit up here. Some good folks put some bridges up and filled in some gaps just to make it faster. So faster for who, those with their yellow lycra booties and R50k plastic bikes?

We had the same with the spruit up here. Some good folks put some bridges up and filled in some gaps just to make it faster. So faster for who' date=' those with their yellow lycra booties and R50k plastic bikes?[/quote']

Exactly. And to make it clear to parabola and Mark Hatting, guys, JUST COS YOU CANT RIDE IT, DOESNT MEAN IT'S OK TO MAKE IT EASIER.

Seriously, make the effort to learn to ride it. Beef up the technical skills. The river section is EASY to cross from both sides. It's called LINE, SPEED and MOMENTUM. The bridge doesnt help you to become a better rider. It actually makes you worse off.

Like I said you're not the only one on the mountain. It's the first bit of single track from the parking lot and therefore most likely to be ridden by beginners.

I could say rather go ride the North Shore section' date=' but a better idea is for you to stop complaining and go and help with the work parties in building better trails.

Would you like the contact details?
[/quote']

Exactly.

Oh and BTS (easier to type), did you ever consider that lots of people ride this singletrack <em>the other way</em> (ie coming down)? The bermed bridge now makes it possible to ride, whereas I've always needed to portage it before.

Hey MH (easier to type). Yes, I DID in fact consider that people ride the trail the other way. It's easy to ride the river section from both ways. It was always possible to ride it too. So yes, I did consider this. Thanks for checking in though.

We had the same with the spruit up here. Some good folks put some bridges up and filled in some gaps just to make it faster. So faster for who' date=' those with their yellow lycra booties and R50k plastic bikes?[/quote']

Whats a 50K plastic bike? Come to think of it what you banging on about lycra booties? Thought those were for divers or is that neoprene booties??? Why yellow ones too - did you have a run in with a chap fitting a similar description somewhere along the line?

The bridge is good environmentally, less erosion / silt deposited in the river everytime someone rides through and wafting over all the critters that live in it.. etc etc.

That's a high frequency ride trail. ?hmmm now to do something about the erosion / ever widening trail down to the concrete bridge.... ??

Fact is - in highly used areas, trails may need to be 'dumbed' down to avoid the nastier envirnomental impacts.??Not everyone rides 'just the trail as it is', many seek easier lines. ?And no - in a highly used area like Tokai education aint going to get to them all.....

Thanks! to all the guys taking the time to fix up. ?

Exactly. And to make it clear to parabola and Mark Hatting, guys, JUST COS YOU CANT RIDE IT, DOESNT MEAN IT'S OK TO MAKE IT EASIER.
Seriously, make the effort to learn to ride it. Beef up the technical skills. The river section is EASY to cross from both sides. It's called LINE, SPEED and MOMENTUM. The bridge doesnt help you to become a better rider. It actually makes you worse off.

So now you're a technical coach? AND you're assuming that everyone cruises around on new-school 5" bikes with short stems made for all-mountain drops and hammering?

FYI, I'll whip your ass ANY DAY technically (go ahead, challenge me), but it just so happens that not everyone (meaning, most people who pay to ride in Tokai and who help fund development of our trails) is out to practice DH and dirt jumping skills. Some of us even run full-on XC setups (*gasp*, I know!)

Build some gnarly stuff on your own property if it bothers you so much.

The bridge is good environmentally' date=' less erosion / silt deposited in the river everytime someone rides through and wafting over all the critters that live in it.. etc etc.

That's a high frequency ride trail.  hmmm now to do something about the erosion / ever widening trail down to the concrete bridge....   

Fact is - in highly used areas, trails may need to be 'dumbed' down to avoid the nastier envirnomental impacts.  Not everyone rides 'just the trail as it is', many seek easier lines.  And no - in a highly used area like Tokai education aint going to get to them all.....

Thanks! to all the guys taking the time to fix up.  

[/quote']

Hi Cheryl, who provided you with this info regarding the erosion?