64 members have voted

1. 1. Should the bridge stay or go

• THE BRIDGE CAN STAY SO WE CAN LAFF
    • see ya bridge
    • bridge must be burned
    • the bridge can stay so the weenies dont have to learn how
    • the bridge has GOT to go

So have you spoken to Meurant about it?

I really can't believe that Amarider (who, as far as I know, are responsible for the trail maintenance) have any intention to dumb down the trails as opposed to maintaining them and preventing erosion.  Erosion, by the way, by its very nature is problematic whereever it occurs.  Haven't been to Tokai in years though, so can't comment on what would constitute necessary maintenance for this section.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bustt he sickness ( you have the right name ) you make me sick!smiley7.gif

So what if they built a bridge there...some bikers out there actually do constructive that allows rookies to at least enjoy themselves and allows new entries into the sport...

Maybe you you should vomit at home...better still stay home and keep your sarcastic post to yourself...

its fools like you who deserve to face plant.

WHOOOOOOOO, easy tiger. No bolemics allowed here

Visited Tokai after a long abscence - so the bridge was a bit of a surprise!  But we (my son, 12) and I really appreciated all the effort by amarider (we did quite a bit of building there before we left cape town - so have a good idea of the graft it takes to build and maintain trails.)  They must have had their reasons for the bridge - would be good to hear them.  But as Fairy Garden is a beginners trail I feel it should stay - a bit of mesh in winter will keep the tyres tracking without slipping.

We enjoyed the jumps further up - so there is still a lot for the more experienced rider to have fun on and learn on!

bustt he sickness ( you have the right name ) you make me sick!smiley7.gif

So what if they built a bridge there...some bikers out there actually do constructive that allows rookies to at least enjoy themselves and allows new entries into the sport...

Maybe you you should vomit at home...better still stay home and keep your sarcastic post to yourself...

its fools like you who deserve to face plant.

WHOOOOOOOO' date=' easy tiger. No bolemics allowed here
[/quote']

That's BULIMICS.

BTS, you were our first and foremost 'vomiter' 7 pages ago. Remember? So, who's the boulimic?Wink

So BTS' date=' either shut up or come help build / maintain the trails.

There plenty of work going onfor various reasons, all of which have the long term sustainability of your riding in the forest in mind.

If you don;t like the bridge then don't use it. However riders caught riding next to the bridge will be creating unnecessary erosion which will get the forest closed for Mountainbikers.

thats the way it is. If you want a say then join AMA.
[/quote']

No I wont shut up GoLefty, and dont dare expect me to. WTFRU??. Furthermore, your comment "if you dont like the bridge then dont use it" doesnt work out bud. THE BRIDGE IS SO WIDE THAT ONE CANNOT USE THE LINES NEXT TO IT. Do you get this?

This is the most BS I've read in a while. THAT bridge will see more wipeouts than ever before. Wait till winter when it's wet and covered in moss. Aaaaaaaah, I know I'll be sitting nearby in my deckcahir with some Milo just waitin to 'have a laff'.

argh well you can't please all the people all of the time.

I hope you'll have an umbrella and some hot coffee while you wait for the folks to fall, because in winter, when it's wet, only the skilled riders come out to play.

at least then we'll get to meet the man behind the less than constructive commentary.

I'll pass on your negative comments to Meurant, Bennett and the team.

I really don't think they give a **** what you think because a lot of thought, and design went into that bridge in terms of safety as well as environment and sustainability.

don't like it, don't ride it but it helps a lot more people enjoy the trail which is what mountain biking is all about. However I'm willing to bet that you probably can;t get further up the mountain than level 2 because you're too fat to pedal further. The section called the Faerie Garden is all you know isn't it.

drop a few kilo's bru and get further up the mountain where the really hard bits of trail reside.

Now sat in PE missing the wonders of Tokia, but laughing at your post (with you, not at you) GoLefty.

Plenty bitch, how many can actually ride? End of the day the trail builders are usually volunteers, and when push comes to shove those who moan would do well to volunteer their time in a constructive way and learn a few conservation/trail building skills, spend more time on the bike acquiring some real trail riding skills, or just give those who do both of the above a rest........... 

now now boys and girls , stop having tantrums or i'll take your toys away and make you ride with the men and women on the road and track.

good bye , i'm outa here 

Guest Agteros

now now boys and girls ' date=' stop having tantrums or i'll take your toys away and make you ride with the men and women on the road and track.

good bye , i'm outa here
[/quote']

But.... I fly

Wow, some serious views on a fairly innocent mod to the trail!

But keep the feedback coming, it's interesting to hear your views.

Yup, the Tokai trail work is done by AMA with help from the Dirtopia crew.

Any Tokai rider can have input, and comment on, the trailwork being done, the trails are there for all of us.

I'll post contact details below for those who want to contribute / criticize the work being done.

Some comments that might shed more light on the thinking behind our work:

1. The trails are built for all skill levels. There is no us and them.

2. Trails are built / modified to be sustainable and ecologically sound.

3. Roughly 4000 riders pass through the Tokai gate per month, a heavy load for any trail.

4. Our activities are governed by the land owner.

5. Our aim is to enhance and grow the riding possibilities and experience as much as possible.

6. There will always have to be compromises and trade-offs.

There is a management plan for mtb across the Table Mountain National Park (TMNP) of which Tokai forms part.

Although Tokai is a "disturbed" area previously under MTO management, it now falls under TMNP and as such is managed under a very different set of rules and philosophies.

The distinctly un-glamorous and protracted negotiations for land access and trail clearance, AMA does on your behalf.

If you want to influence the process, join the organisation and make your voice heard.

It is open to all.

At the same time you will help fund the trail building activities.

Back to Tokai and the bridge...

The bottom sections of Tokai caters for entry level riders who do not necessarily can or want to climb to the higher levels.

So it's trails will be less technical in nature.

The Black Forest trail being the exception.

More technical ST will be the norm for the trails higher up the mountain.

The ST will vary, to cater for XC, trail, DH and light FR riding.

We can only build where it is allowed by the land owner and to the degree our budget allows.

There are good pans in place and exciting developments in store, including a skills park in the bottom forest sections.

The intention is certainly not to dumb down any trails, rather to bring them in line with the greater plan.

I hope this helps.

If you have any more input / questions, mail me at: copienaar@gmail.com

Enjoy the trails!

NOt nice . Im all for the stop erosion policy but now with that bridge there BANG goes one area i could try do it. I  have gone head over heals almost , fell into the water etc etc but it was there to be conqured now what??????? How do i practice that type of riding.

I agree they should of made a chicken run some where and put a notice that its a semi hard pice of track to ride. It can be done like Butt says, i just can never get the right line  , almost did a few times only for speed to be a killer but now the chance has goneAngry

And in the rainy season wont it be slippery????
leet222009-04-14 12:36:55

The problem with making tracks eiser to ride is newbies wont be learning any skills. We need a few semi difficult areas to try ride otherwise how we going to get better. And for the guys that dont wont to ride anything thats technical to tell the truth then they should not be on MTB tracks. Then they should ride up the jeep track which is also eroding and more so when winters here. Are they any plans to tar?

Wow' date=' some serious views on a fairly innocent mod to the trail!

But keep the feedback coming, it's interesting to hear your views.

Yup, the Tokai trail work is done by AMA with help from the Dirtopia crew.

Any Tokai rider can have input, and comment on, the trailwork being done, the trails are there for all of us.

I'll post contact details below for those who want to contribute / criticize the work being done.

Some comments that might shed more light on the thinking behind our work:

1. The trails are built for all skill levels. There is no us and them.

2. Trails are built / modified to be sustainable and ecologically sound.

3. Roughly 4000 riders pass through the Tokai gate per month, a heavy load for any trail.

4. Our activities are governed by the land owner.

5. Our aim is to enhance and grow the riding possibilities and experience as much as possible.

6. There will always have to be compromises and trade-offs.

There is a management plan for mtb across the Table Mountain National Park (TMNP) of which Tokai forms part.

Although Tokai is a "disturbed" area previously under MTO management, it now falls under TMNP and as such is managed under a very different set of rules and philosophies.

The distinctly un-glamorous and protracted negotiations for land access and trail clearance, AMA does on your behalf.

If you want to influence the process, join the organisation and make your voice heard.

It is open to all.

At the same time you will help fund the trail building activities.

The bottom sections of Tokai caters for entry level riders who do not necessarily can or want to climb to the higher levels.

More technical ST will be the norm for the trails higher up the mountain.

The ST will vary, to cater for XC, trail, DH and light FR riding.

We can only build where it is allowed by the land owner and to the degree our budget allows.

There are good pans in place and exciting developments in store, including a skills park in the bottom forest sections.

The intention is certainly not to dumb down any trails, rather to bring them in line with the greater plan.

I hope this helps.

If you have any more input / questions, mail me at: copienaar@gmail.com

Enjoy the trails!

[/quote']

You guys are doing an outstanding job all over the Cape's MTB trails.  Kudos to all of you...  Please do not be put off by MTBikers that only complain and never (or should I rather say seldom Embarrassed) do their bit to ensure we have safe and rideable trails!!

MoonMan2009-04-14 14:09:23

Wow' date=' some serious views on a fairly innocent mod to the trail!

[/quote']

Clearly not a fairly innocent mod gauging by responses on the forum.

Made a point of going down The Faerie Garden this afternoon, despite

being totally knackered at that point, to see what the fuss was all

about. I must say that I was shocked to see the size of the bridge.

While it does make it easier to ride in both directions ..... well

that's just the problem... it's easier to ride. I'm not enhancing my

skills at all by riding it, whilst I would definitely be testing my

skills the way it was before.

I don't buy this one. If I can ride up the loooooooong jeep track to

get to level 2 on my Unicycle' date=' then surely some nubie on 2 wheels can

do it. I've been riding up to at least level 2 (Vasbyt), and nowadays

to at least level 4 (Mamba), since my first ride in Tokai. I'm close to

40, and quite overweight and I still make the effort to ride up the

steep jeep track.... on 1 wheel nogal !!! If you're to lazy to ride up

the hill then stay out of the forest..... and similarly if you don't

feel like putting in some effort to increase your skills, then go and

ride a stationary bike in the Gym.

It's great that there is a "greater plan", which in my opinion is

needed and also needs to be constantly reviewed. Do you have details of

the "greater plan" ? It would be nice to see what else is envisioned.

At the moment I am disappointed that a number of changes have been made

to make the trails easier to ride, and if the plan only includes this

then I would be so upset. I pay just like any nubie does and would also

like to have my skills tested. Are there plans to make more technical

sections ? That I don't have to ride to the Mast to get to... seeing as

how the nubies need to ride some of the lower trails ?

As for getting involved in the trail building I would definitely like

to help and get involved. My involvement would be to make technical

trails for MUni as that is what my passion is, and if AMARider and

Muerant would like to cater for MUni ... then I'm there.

Out at Tokai over the weekend and I noticed that the little river crossing on the first trail at Tokai now has a plank bridge across it. I was so disgusted that I had to dismount and vomit in the bushes.

Why oh WHY if people can't learn to ride these crossings do they feel the need to LOWER THE STANDARDS of the trail to their incompetent levels????

Why not just spend an hour or two learning the lines and riding them' date=' get proper momentum etc. and LEARN TO RIDE the trail as is.

I have seen a few roady types out there with their aero helmets and spandex face planting in this river, and now because of this sordid bridge I have lost one of the few good laughing moment potential spots.

Seriously, the bridge has got to go. It stinks. People must learn to ride the trails. Yeah, first time I tried to cross that river from the back I tapped out, but after a few tries it is easy as it gets.

[/quote']

Seriously....

No one cares if you don't like the bridge, keep your misery to yourself. If you are so hardcore, go ride up the face of Table Mountain or challenge your boyfriend to a time trial.