Should the bridge stay or go  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Should the bridge stay or go

• THE BRIDGE CAN STAY SO WE CAN LAFF
    • see ya bridge
    • bridge must be burned
    • the bridge can stay so the weenies dont have to learn how
    • the bridge has GOT to go

Yeah Rock, great idea. I vote they include building of guard rails soft duvet like run-offs in the DH sections. With mobile water fountains in the summer and outdoor heaters in the winter.

Then all we need is the climb to the top to be flattened, roof to be build over all the sections and the jeep track to smooth and evened out. And viola! Oh no, wait...that's...o my...track!

I've turned Tokai into track...or even worse: one big IDT!!!!

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is almost as funny as the 'wrapper' post by now.

If I ever come down that way and find that the bridge is missing I think I will know where to go look Big%20smile

Where? In the bushes on the other side of the river, or in the braai area?

I contribute about R200 to this a month. I have a right to have a say. I'm a paying customer.

What's that they say about money parting?

You ever seen those gatekeepers with the cordless card reader thing at the gate? Surely if you're there twice a week it must have piqued your curisoity.

get one of these

and spend the rest at AMA. becuase they're the guys who actually do the trails, not TMNP (where your money is going)

I contribute about R200 to this a month. I have a right to have a say. I'm a paying customer.

What's that they say about money parting?

You ever seen those gatekeepers with the cordless card reader thing at the gate? Surely if you're there twice a week it must have piqued your curisoity.

get one of these

and spend the rest at AMA. becuase they're the guys who actually do the trails' date=' not TMNP (where your money is going)

[/quote']

First off, thanks for the insulting post. I will be sending u some evil.

Guess what Shebeen, yes, I DO have a Wildcard.

BUT....

I don't only ride bikes and I use the card for my other outdoor missions too. The Wildcard system only allows certain amounts of visits. Regardless, not everyone who rides at Tokai uses a Wildcard. LOOK at the clipboard when you sign in next time. Thanks for the meaningless post though. I'll sleep better for it.

Sorry Bust you have been sold a lemon. My wildcard (as well as those in the possession of all the guys I ride with) allows me unlimited access to Tokai, you need to make sure that you buy the right option.

Is there a troll under the bridge?Tongue

Hey! How did you know about that! You?ve seen him too! WinkLOL

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

BTS man, theres a wildcard that costs R230 per year (or around there), that gives you unlimited visits to all parks in the WC, and one for R250 that gives you unlimited countrywide access...

You're talking about the ones that cost R 60 for 12 visits, right?

But yeah - i aggree and disaggree on this issue... while we have to look after the trails in affected areas, and make sure they aren't whittled away like some old redneck's peice of yellow-wood, we also need to make sure that the trails are technically challenging for ALL individuals, and we all have the chance of improving our skills. Unfortunately there is no "one size fits all" answer to this problem, but if you can't ride a certain section, be it 1m or 1000m in length, try do it until you can. At the end, you'll have immense amounts of satisfaction in having beaten the track, as well as having progressed in your skill levels so you can now move on to more challenging areas while really HITTING that section you've owned.

Anyways, I guess some will like it, some wont. I feel that those people who carry on about people who dont go there and build trails shouldnt have a say and should shut up are typical. If 4000 people ride there a month it means CNC has R80k to play with each month. I contribute about R200 to this a month. I have a right to have a say. I'm a paying customer.

Well you don;t really have a right to say. Sure youhave a right to voice your opinion but you are not the landowner and therefore ultimately you do not have the last say.

TMNP has some strict environmental policies that need to be adhered to. Not too long ago, we were facing being expelled from Tokai for MTB because the trails that in their state were an ecologoical nightmare.

Well some enterprising folk went in, on behalf of the mtb'er of the western cape and convinced TMNP that there was tourist potential and that the trails will be improved to a more acceptable level. Thats called responsible land useage.

TMNP bought into this and MTB is staying for now, but the changes have tobe made.

Your gate takings does not guarantee you that 100% of the ticket will be used toward MTB. That rather naive. It goes into the TMNP coffers and is used toward their budget for the folowing year. You will be surprised how much it costs to build one 500m sectionof trail.

So now the arguement is around dumbing down the entire trail. Lets stick to the 3m bridge shall we.

I have been ridin gin Tokai since 1991. So I've seen the changes over time and i have seen the effect of irresponsible MTBing. The section where the bridge now stands was once a very narrow stream and it did have a small railway sleeper bridge over it. With riders dragging hteir wheels, the bridge eventually fell into the stream so riders now bunny hopped the stream. The little embankment eventually fell into the stream and was washed away. In 1 winter tht stream widened by 1m.

18yrs later we have a fairly wide eroded area, which somehow MTB'ers think is cool.

Sure it's sool because the frame of reference most have is only a few years.

Those who have been riding therelonger know the damage that has been done. The Bridge will prevent the wheel locks upsgoing into that stream section so hopefully there will be less erosion. That is it's purpose. Sure dumbing it down,call it what you like but even people who can that section  drag their back wheel into it causing erosion.

If you want, I'm sure TMNP will oblige the request for a concrete road like National Parks has built on some sections of Harkerville Trail outside Knysna.

So we can either clean up our act now, or have the authorities either ban us or providea paved road.

The choice is simple.

Most braking areas on the Tokai trail should be armoured to keep erosion to a minimum. However, the experienced rider dragging their back wheels don't seem to give a hoot about this either because dragging their wheel is skillful.

I challenge you blokes to ride from the top of the trail using only front brakes. If you can achieve this then you have skill

If you pay

i dont like the bridge it should go but you must also give credit to the guys which hve been working on the tracks for the last few months

BTS - as a matter of interest - do you belong to a club, association , interest group connected to cycling?  

Exactly. And to make it clear to parabola and Mark Hatting' date=' guys, JUST COS YOU CANT RIDE IT, DOESNT MEAN IT'S OK TO MAKE IT EASIER.

Seriously, make the effort to learn to ride it. Beef up the technical skills. The river section is EASY to cross from both sides. It's called LINE, SPEED and MOMENTUM. The bridge doesnt help you to become a better rider. It actually makes you worse off.

[/quote']

So now you're a technical coach? AND you're assuming that everyone cruises around on new-school 5" bikes with short stems made for all-mountain drops and hammering?

FYI, I'll whip your ass ANY DAY technically (go ahead, challenge me), but it just so happens that not everyone (meaning, most people who pay to ride in Tokai and who help fund development of our trails) is out to practice DH and dirt jumping skills. Some of us even run full-on XC setups (*gasp*, I know!)

Build some gnarly stuff on your own property if it bothers you so much.

Well Mr BUSTTHESICKNESS I see you did not take up MARTIN HATTINGH'S challenge of whipping your ass. So I ask myself..... are you as good on the bike as you claim to be or are you just a MOAN GAT? Then I did some inquiring and I see that you only joined the hub in Oct 08 and you are already an ULTIMATE HUBBER with no WILD CARD. mmmm.....Therefore there is no doubt in my mind that you are just one big MOAN GAT!!

However, if you decied to take up the challenge please let me know as I would like to book my place on the bridge (WHICH IS THERE TO STAY, SEE OPINION POLL!!) And watch Martin Whip yr ass.smiley32.gif

Seriously, stop moaning and be a part of trail building. Cobus Pienaar and his team give it their all to make it better for all of us and they have done wonders. Mail him and give some input he will appreciate it.

Cheers

Well put, mature post GoLefty. Yeah, it's a skill sliding your rear wheel, but I try my best to never ever do it. As much fun as it is it just destroys the trail. I'd rather ride Tokai for another 100years than 5years of dragging and irresponsible fun.

Now if only we can get the people involved to tell us what's cutting.

Im sorry where is the skill in sliding your rear wheel? any idiot can lock their back wheel and slid into a corner, the skill is to rail the corner without needing to lock up.

I have just popped my popcorn......double buttered anyoneLOL

Oi, caring is sharing!! <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

This is by far my fav thread!! I love it!