What MTB brakes do you ride and price?

ASTANA

Hey

Looking around on the net but cant seem to find a decent site to check prices and the different brands.

Currently I have some Shimano disk brakes system, some code under the LX model I think, but would like to know what you guy think is good value for money with relative low maintanince and great hydraulic disk brakes.

Brand-new Avid Juicy Ultimate 160mm Front and 140mm Rear Disc Brakes.

Free U.S. shipping via FedEx Ground

Suggested retail price is $559.95.  No reserve!

Finish: White
Rotor Type: G2 Clean Sweep
Materials: Carbon lever and reservoir cover with titanium hardware and magnesium lever body
Rotor: 160mm front and 140mm rear
Hose Length: 850mm and 1400mm front and rear
Weight: 345g
Includes: Levers, Caliper, Adapter, Rotor, Hose, Pads & hardware
Comaptibility: 74mm post mount or 51mm IS mount with included adapter
DOES this sound right ? 5K for these?

More or less ... can pick them up at CRC for about R4500 for front and back.

I have Juicy 3.5 (Scott's Avid Juicy 3's with a.5 attached). Have been very keen to upgrade to XT 775's, but am not sure, braking response on these is very good and direct. Compared to the Shimano equiv. Deore, they are much better, but they tend to rub on the disc and with age the pistons start miss-behaving.

XT 775's on CRC are ~ R2300 Front and Rear.

Take that R4500 and put it in your pension fund or house bond. There is nothing wrong with your existing brakes and buying something else is unnecessary and consumptive.

I have had had my XT discs for 3 years now ? 10 000 km and have not had any trouble with performance or reliability.  Take JB's advice.

There is nothing wrong with LX. if you want more braking power try putting a bigger rotar on the front. if you are set on upgrading let me know, I might buy your LX ones off you for my wifes bike. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

That would be an upgrade for the sake of it. If they work, then leave them on. You would probably not notice much difference in the way they work.

I must admit that they look a lot better though.

If you are dying to spend money - look at your wheels or something.

Or if you are really sensible, take JB's advice.

Currently own a set of Formula K18's and K24's...both are awesome, hugely powerful and don't overheat. You just can't cook these guys.

And the feel at the lever is superb, I have ridden Avids and I am just not sold on the feel. The rest works fine though I suppose, they just don't feel right

Have ridden with formula's (B4's, K18), Hayes 9, Shimano (XT,LX) as well as Avid (Juicy3, Ultimates) and personally I like the feel of the avids.

If you got the extra cash to sink into bike upgrades then go for it but otherwise stick to what works for you.

Weight reduction and pimping a bike is a expensive and addictive affair.

The 'Goose has a set of Tektro Augira Comps, they're really cheap but they work as well or better than anything else I've ever experienced, and that includes the play bikes.

Both my play bikes are running Magura HS33's, the latest set cost about R1500 from CRC. They are a total beeeatch to set up, but once dialled in the work like mad. That said, if the frame could take disc brakes safely, I would run the Tektros on my play bike as well.

dude, you are a student, right?

take JB's advice.