I miss Logwood

L.T.G

I went to Bryanston park a week ago and it was annoying to see some of the routes closed off. Call me stingy but if I'm paying R50 I'd like to be able to ride all the routes. And I agree with the peace and tranquility of Logwood compared to the noise in Bryanston.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'Trials Course' ???

Where Dat? (perking up with interest)

When you leave the clubhouse, going down the tarred section, keep right and then it's on your right hand side. You'll see some wooden pallets and balance beams and stuff there. It was blocked off last time I was there because they're busy with the new track there.

We normally do trials sessions on Sunday afternoons, although not always at the park. You're welcome to join. I'd recommend bringing a hardtail.

HAHAHA' date=' GROW A FEW...[/quote']

Reckon you should change your handle from Dixie Normus to 'Twat'. Likely a lot more accurate.

Hog that sounds really cool. I will suck entirely' date=' but it looks like fun to learn. [/quote']

I'll let you know when the next ride is. It's great fun, and don't worry about your riding level. The first few weeks are all about trackstands and balancing.

Guest Agteros

Are thay still going to have the race at Logwood?

Was pondering same....

Nothing on www.jmbc.org.za

Nothing on www.sa-active.co.za

However Tom Cottrell's Cyclists' Guide for 2009 has it on for Sun 13 Sep 09

Distance are 64,42,1222

'parently melanie {at} brud dot co do za can help with enquiries

HAHAHA' date=' GROW A FEW...[/quote']Reckon you should change your handle from Dixie Normus to 'Twat'. Likely a lot more accurate.

but an insult to the female anatomy...

*sigh*

Logwood's closure was so sad. That route going onto the little farmhouse's roof (Dark Side??) was my fav, and that awesome big box drop in the forest.

What a pity eh. There is nothing like Logwood in SA now, and we're worse off for it. It really set a good benchmark for technical riding up there and introduced a LOT of folks to the possibilities of the sport. I was truly gutted when Geoff told us it was closing down. I always thought to myself "at least Joburg has Logwood".

Don't even get me started on Newwood or whatever its called. To me, it defeats the purpose...cars screaming by all the time, totally random bridges and boardwalks and tame lines.

A real pity :(

Sad thing is that Logwood closed because of not enough people going there, so we can bitch and reminisce all day, bottom line is people just didnt go, and those who did, started going to MTN park.

bustthesickness2009-04-20 20:44:51

*sigh*
Logwood's closure was so sad. That route going onto the little farmhouse's roof (Dark Side??) was my fav' date=' and that awesome big box drop in the forest.
What a pity eh. There is nothing like Logwood in SA now, and we're worse off for it. It really set a good benchmark for technical riding up there and introduced a LOT of folks to the possibilities of the sport. I was truly gutted when Geoff told us it was closing down. I always thought to myself "at least Joburg has Logwood".
Don't even get me started on Newwood or whatever its called. To me, it defeats the purpose...cars screaming by all the time, totally random bridges and boardwalks and tame lines.

Sad thing is that Logwood closed because of not enough people going there, so we can bitch and reminisce all day, bottom line is people just didnt go, and those who did, started going to MTN park.
[/quote']

must agree. the one black route at "newwood" doesn't deserve its rating. northshore and darkside could be frightening at times. and being frightened is why i ride bikes. 

Yeah, I was told from a reliable source that none of the lines' ratings compare to anything international, so guys are basically getting given a false sense of confidence. Wait 'till ya end up in Whistler on a 'Black' route! Now THAT is something I'll get my deckchair out for eh ;)

Truth be told, I don't think most people realised how lucky they were to have Logwood. It was never THAT far to drive there. I'll drive 500 km for a decent trail, so the 30 or 40 k's to get to Logwood was nothing. Now I guess you guys'll have to head out to 'boven for those sick lines.

Yeah' date=' I was told from a reliable source that none of the lines' ratings compare to anything international, so guys are basically getting given a false sense of confidence. Wait 'till ya end up in Whistler on a 'Black' route! Now THAT is something I'll get my deckchair out for eh ;)Truth be told, I don't think most people realised how lucky they were to have Logwood. It was never THAT far to drive there. I'll drive 500 km for a decent trail, so the 30 or 40 k's to get to Logwood was nothing. Now I guess you guys'll have to head out to 'boven for those sick lines.

[/quote']

Add another 100km to your 500km and you will end up in a place called Giba Gorge which is better than the old Logwood .

Yeah' date=' I was told from a reliable source that none of the lines' ratings compare to anything international, so guys are basically getting given a false sense of confidence. Wait 'till ya end up in Whistler on a 'Black' route! Now THAT is something I'll get my deckchair out for eh ;)Truth be told, I don't think most people realised how lucky they were to have Logwood. It was never THAT far to drive there. I'll drive 500 km for a decent trail, so the 30 or 40 k's to get to Logwood was nothing. Now I guess you guys'll have to head out to 'boven for those sick lines.

[/quote']

Add another 100km to your 500km and you will end up in a place called Giba Gorge which is better than the old Logwood .

I've heard a LOT about Giba gorge. I live in Cape Town now though, so I'm pretty chuffed with the riding here at Tokai and a few other sneaky spots, but ya, sounds like I need to do a bit of a roadtrip. Giba, then 'boven.

Don't even get me started on Newwood or whatever its called. To me' date=' it defeats the purpose...cars screaming by all the time, totally random bridges and boardwalks and tame lines.

[/quote']

Let me get this straight - You're bitching about a bike park that you haven't been to?

First of all, please have your own opinion. To have an opinion, you first need to experience the place. Come up to Joburg, I'll pay for your entrance to the park myself. Yes, it's not technical, but the routes ARE good, and there's plenty of BIG moves that you can do if you want to.

Secondly, the Bryanston park has done MUCH more to get people on bikes than Logwood could ever do. Because of its location you have people streaming there to ride. If you're ever there on a weekend, the sight of dozens of total newcomers wobbling down the trails brings a tear to my eye. They're growing the sport, and at the end of the day that's what we need. Of every 100 new riders, maybe 1 will become interested in NS and FR, and he will be 1 extra person who wants a place to ride. Maybe that 1 person will build SA's Whistler one day.

Don't even get me started on Newwood or whatever its called. To me' date=' it defeats the purpose...cars screaming by all the time, totally random bridges and boardwalks and tame lines.

[/quote']

Let me get this straight - You're bitching about a bike park that you haven't been to?

First of all, please have your own opinion. To have an opinion, you first need to experience the place. Come up to Joburg, I'll pay for your entrance to the park myself. Yes, it's not technical, but the routes ARE good, and there's plenty of BIG moves that you can do if you want to.

Secondly, the Bryanston park has done MUCH more to get people on bikes than Logwood could ever do. Because of its location you have people streaming there to ride. If you're ever there on a weekend, the sight of dozens of total newcomers wobbling down the trails brings a tear to my eye. They're growing the sport, and at the end of the day that's what we need. Of every 100 new riders, maybe 1 will become interested in NS and FR, and he will be 1 extra person who wants a place to ride. Maybe that 1 person will build SA's Whistler one day.

ok, cool. I'll hold you to that. Next time I'm up there you're going to pay for my session there. I don't have to have ridden there to know I wont enjoy the sound of a highway next to me, and, I HAVE seen many many photos of the place. Again, I can judge from the pix how the rides are.

Let me put this point out there, since you accredit a park to growing the sport. I'll bet you that guys who inspire rad riding on any format boost the sport way more than a park could. Look at skateboarding. Skateparks don't promote and boost it, rad skaters do. The only way to get rad skaters is to have a scene. The only way to have a scene is to have solid skaters pushing their limits against each other.  The young upcomers then see this and aspire to do better. Thats how come we progress. It's a form of the singularity. So while on the surface the MTN park might seem to attract folks and grow the sport, awesome achievements and hot riding is what really does, and with nothing sick to ride...well, you hopefully see my point.

It's my opinion though, and I'm sure you'll think it sucks or whatever, but hey, so be it. 

Oh, and we don't have the terrain in Gauteng for a WhistlerOuch

bustthesickness2009-04-21 00:37:19

Morning Hubbers !

Yes, sadly we have made the decision to cancel the Logwood Classic for 2009. Cry, so the 13 September will definately not be happening.

We will be posting further details within the next month though.