Tyre Rotation direction

chuck

I would keep the front the right way..

and this is exactly where it looses the plot. When it is right way round I cannot push it around a corner without falling over.

Maybe your problem is with your suspension setup then?

Maybe your problem is with your suspension setup then?

Could very well be. Since it worked previously I did not make any changes when putting the tires on the right way. Actually it never occurred to me that it could require a suspension adjustment.

Problem is that you have to really push it around the corners to feel the difference but then it is huge. And the way you feel it is with your skin so I'll first have to heal up from my previous tests before I attempt some more experimentation Confused

I would keep the front the right way..

and this is exactly where it looses the plot. When it is right way round I cannot push it around a corner without falling over.

Mabe youre just consentrating harder!Big%20smile

But hey.. Who knows, Mabe its the way the corners of the ramped knobs has more surface area than the sharp corner.. But this is to much for my little brain, I still need to get some work done todayWink

Sorry DirtBreath, in thesouth hemisphere youneed to install the tyre upside down, not wrong way round. this cancels out the extra friction due to upside down gravity

tyre direction makes not difference to grip unless you are running those awful Maxxis things with the funny ramp shaped treads blocks

Sorry DirtBreath' date=' in thesouth hemisphere youneed to install the tyre upside down, not wrong way round. this cancels out the extra friction due to upside down gravity[/quote']

When I buy Northern Hemisphere tyres I install them standing on my head. Wacko

I go away for just a few days and you guys manage to slip all sorts of nonsence regarding tyre thread direction and chain lubrication in.

The tyre thread direction debate was done here about a year ago and some fine minds applied themselves to the issue.  Search for it. There were even some good observations about the Larsen tyres on there.

Did a search for all sort of permutation on tyre, tire, thread, rotation, direction etc. and found nothing really useful but not to worry being a legend, and genius,  in my own lifetime I trust my findings.

Grip. As far as it goes' date=' "rolling resistance" is quite "iffy" science as far as bicycle, and especially mtb tyres is concerned. 

But, yes, tread direction influences grip, friction, mud clearing attributes, so on.
[/quote']

That was my thinking and I made a very interesting observation over the last few days, involving a few offs -

I've seen some negative feedback on the Larsen TT tires, which I use. When I put mine one I inadvertently put them on the wrong way round. Had not issues and they handled good, dry and wet. Had a coming together with a tree which resulted in me having to remount the front tire and inadvertently I mounted it the right way round. What a big difference, but in a BAD way. I actually lost the front and crashed because of it. There was just no grip or feedback. I tried riding with it like this a while but then decided to put it on the wrong way. What a difference, in a GOOD way.

Moral of the story - If you use Larsen TT mount them the wrong way round. You won't belief the difference.

Let me get this straight: you rode into a tree with your tyres mounted the wrong way around. Then you reversed the tyre and suddenly you didn't ride into any more trees but started to wash out in corners. Therefore, tyre direction does have an impact on the co-efficient of friction of that particular tyre.

OK so far?

And then you reversed the tyre again and suddenly the bike stayed in the path again, with the co-efficient of friction suddenly way up again. To make it even better, the broken line of communication between you and the tyre was suddenly miraculously restored - feedback, as you call it.

I won't argue with you, as you say in your last post, you believe what you believe. You're a good candidate for the religion industry.

Johan Bornman2009-05-03 00:32:28

Let me get this straight: you rode into a tree with your tyres mounted the wrong way around. Then you reversed the tyre and suddenly you didn't ride into any more trees but started to wash out in corners. Therefore' date=' tyre direction does have an impact on the co-efficient of friction of that particular tyre.

OK so far?

And then you reversed the tyre again and suddenly the bike stayed in the path again, with the co-efficient of friction suddenly way up again. To make it even better, the broken line of communication between you and the tyre was suddenly miraculously restored - feedback, as you call it.

I won't argue with you, as you say in your last post, you believe what you believe. You're a good candidate for the religion industry.

[/quote']

ag shame you make all seem so complex, when in fact it actually very simple, so I won't even try to explain.

I don't know you, as you don't know me, but here is a bit of advice: If you don't have something intelligent to say then maybe don't say anything at all. You should have listened to your momma when she told you that. You seem to be some technical god always using the most complex terminology for the simplest thing. It's a bicycle for ****sakes, not rocket science.

So I won't argue with you. You're a good candidate for parliament.

LOL at the saying tyre direction on cars makes a difference. It only makes a difference in the wet, so that water can get displaced.

I had semi slicks on my weekend race car, mounted them the wrong way round to have the wear pattern change. Made no difference to my lap times.