MTB Etiquette

Stoffel76

It was a busy day at Tokai yesterday, and there were loads of riders out and I was wondering...

When on single track and another rider is approaching from the opposite direction, is there any sort of unspoken rule as to who gives way? Eg the one going downhill gives way to the one going uphill because it's easier for them to pick up momentum again? 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're opening a can of worms here.

The nice guys say the descending rider stops, as getting back on the go is easier. The other guys say screw it. Ride balls to the wall, the ascending rider has to stop for him.

Guest Agteros

ascending rider should move out of the way.

BFS! This has been asked before... Ascending rider (any vehicle actually) has right of way.

Descending rider can restart a lot easier than bicycle ascending.

Common courtesy indicates that the rider having the most difficult ride gets right of way.

Guest Agteros

All N00BS (and others) have a look at

http://www.romp.org/rides/beginnerguide.html where they elaborate on

the IMBA rules of the trial (http://www.imba.com/about/trail_rules.html)

Rule 4 - refer to the portion in BOLD

Always yield the trail ? Make known you approach well in

advance. A friendly greeting (or a bell) is considerate and works well;

don't startle others. Show your respect when passing others by slowing

to a walk or even stopping. Anticipate that other trail users may be

around corners or in blind spots. When approaching equestrians, yield

means stop and get off!

Yield to Uphill Bike Traffic - Your

fellow cyclists traveling uphill on a narrow trail have the right of

way! Stop and let them go by if you are traveling downhill. You can get

going again easily, they can't!

See also the Guide to Passing for in-depth tips on passing hikers and horses on trails.

Agteros2009-04-28 10:14:59

amazing this type of question

according to some, mtb'ers are the nicest friendlist folk.

Gummy Berry Codswollop!! Some of them are pompous arrogant .......

But then some are nice.

I think the IMBA have got i good thing going, they have done heaps for mtb over the years, longer than most hubbers have been around.

Can't say I agree with the uphill downhill thing that they specify, but that is widely known as the correct course of action.

However, on personal principle - I choose to let downhillers go past purely because I love the buzz of a DH and having it interupted isn't so much fun and I am hoping somewhere along the line somone will do the same for me...

Arrogance on a trail just ain't cool!!!!!

something I'd like to add: guys coming up on riders from the rear NEED TO HAVE RESPECT AND PATIENCE. It's NOT a race. Some sections of trail have multi technical level bits. I was at Tokai the other day coasting through a section lining up for a nice drop when some lycra clad TONTO comes screaming up behind me to take the easy line. He totally stuffed up my run. Next time I wont let it slide.

ascending rider should move out of the way.

BFS! This has been asked before... Ascending rider (any vehicle actually) has right of way.

Descending rider can restart a lot easier than bicycle ascending.

Common courtesy indicates that the rider having the most difficult ride gets right of way.

Nice language Dave. Sorry, I don't conform to IMBA rules. It's all too often people quote 'American World Standards' as their own. These might be YOUR rules, but I'll tell ya what, next rider who comes blazing down a singletrack, do your thing, dont move for him. Please post the photos of your smashed bike for us ;)

DESCENDING RIDER HAS RIGHT OF WAY - END OF STORY

something I'd like to add: guys coming up on riders from the rear NEED TO HAVE RESPECT AND PATIENCE. It's NOT a race. Some sections of trail have multi technical level bits. I was at Tokai the other day coasting through a section lining up for a nice drop when some lycra clad TONTO comes screaming up behind me to take the easy line. He totally stuffed up my run. Next time I wont let it slide.

Maybe he's seen the way you treat ascending riders?Big%20smile

Maybe he's seen the way you treat ascending riders?Big%20smile

ROFLMAOLOL

Guest Agteros

BTS you are an absolute troll! Just be careful for the three billy goats gruff!

You first have the audaciousness to complain about a bridge being built where there has been trail damage, and then you come asking what the etiquette is regarding right of way, and promptly shooting that down as well.

Why ask what the 'correct' thing is? Why? Do you have such a big need to show yourself out as a pompous, idiotic, self centered, never wrong, know-it-ill.

You know where to find your bridge in Tokai (apparently it is a w-i-d-e one!) Go crawl under it, and please STFU

Guest Agteros

Popcorn?Only if this is a scary movie, and we can throw it over the unsuspecting peeps, just before the monsters come screaming through the door! smiley36.gif