MTB Etiquette

Stoffel76

On Monday I too found it quite frustrating riding up the singletrack when a few riders refused to yield. One sod even screamed at riders coming up the fire road because he was too important to slow down.

rules I say are for people who lack consideration and respect for others.

We MTB'ers have been self regulating for a long time but I think the time is fast approaching where we will need rules. That is a sad day...

so get over it. just because you THINK the rule is that descenders must yield doesnt mean it IS the rule. The day that all of our whims become rules is the day I'll give a rats @$$ about what other people expect. Seriously dude, you know how many times I go to Tokai and see idiots without helmets on. So much for rules. I'm certainly not going to slow down for an ascender. It takes a lot of slogging to get up a hill and I'm not going to move, and I refuse to say "Hi" to you either, so get over it and harden up.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well then we will clash, there will be an accident.

Only on descents marked for DH activities does the descender have right of way. Everywhere else rider yield. Get over this. This is the way it is.

Your anti social, anarchist juventile tirade is tiresome. Go kick some dust bins over instead.

Thi

I have, up until now, resisted the urge to become involved in this thread. I do however feel compelled to comment.

It appears to me as if there are a number of arrogant, self opinionated Mountain Bike riders out there, particularly in the Western Cape, who suffer from delusions of adequacy. 

These selfish, inconsiderate trolls who believe that they have some sort of exclusive right to all trails should rather go and crawl under their little wooden bridges.

To adopt the attitude that everyone should get out of their way when they decide to come storming down a hill is indicative of a total couldn't care less approach which is not welcome in Mountain Biking.

As GoLefty!! commented this type of arrogant, juvenile tirade is irksome. Just remember that the trails out there are NOT for your exclusive use.    

Jees, talk about stirring up the proverbial hornets nest!<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

OK, so to summarise?  Give way or assert your right of way depending on whether you are ascending or descending and depending on whether the other person is ascending or descending and depending on the terrain and whether or not you had a nice breakafst that morning or a sucky day at the office in the afternoon.  Didn?t realise it was so simple!! LOL

But seriously, sounds like, with a bit of common sense and some mutual respect for the other people using the trail, each situation can be dealt with as it happens and at the end of the day the majority of riders will go home having had a good ride.  Heck, even a sucky ride would be better than a day couped up in an office!    Thumbs%20Up

Stoffel, given that you Western Cape Riders are so arrogant and self-opinionated (not my words), you seem to speak perfect sense...Wink.

BTW, what happened to the old days where the bigger guy had right of way and the smaller guy hoped the big guy wasn't having a crappy day...?

Stoffel' date=' given that you Western Cape Riders are so arrogant and self-opinionated (not my words), you seem to speak perfect sense...Wink.

BTW, what happened to the old days where the bigger guy had right of way and the smaller guy hoped the big guy wasn't having a crappy day...?
[/quote']

Good comment.Smile

I have' date=' up until now, resisted the urge to become involved in this thread. I do however feel compelled to comment.

It appears to me as if there are a number of arrogant, self opinionated Mountain Bike riders out there, particularly in the Western Cape, who suffer from delusions of adequacy. 

These selfish, inconsiderate trolls who believe that they have some sort of exclusive right to all trails should rather go and crawl under their little wooden bridges.

To adopt the attitude that everyone should get out of their way when they decide to come storming down a hill is indicative of a total couldn't care less approach which is not welcome in Mountain Biking.

As GoLefty!! commented this type of arrogant, juvenile tirade is irksome. Just remember that the trails out there are NOT for your exclusive use.    
[/quote']

Why is it arrogant? Who made up this so called rule that descenders must yield? So let me get this straight here, just because I have a strong opinion about this so called ethic, and it's opposite to yours, I must tolerate your abuse?

'Jagwire' there are so many bizarre uses of the English language in your posting that I really cant take you seriously. Short of this becoming ad hominem, please explain to the Western Cape riders here what "delusions of adequacy" and "self opinionated" means.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I'm still going to not yield when I'm descending, and I'm still NOT going to greet you unless I know you. In answer to the 'Let the bigger rider past and hope he hasnt had a bad day comment', the Neanderthal  one which you agreed to Jagwire, this is 2009. Need I say more?

Guest Agteros

bustthesickness, in what year were you born?

BTS, you a taxi driver?

As for arrogance in the Cape, I wish you guys stopped this exclusive mentality. You think you guys have everything and we have nothing up north of the Hex. Our level of arrogance kicks butt. We even have guys like BTS but they havent learnt to type yet.

I was listening to an interview with Greg Minnaar the other day ... and some other downhillers. The impression I got, was that these are some really chilled fellas. But from what I've read on this thread, sounds like some of you need to give Greg a call and set him right!!!

I too love a downhill ... I too have to ride up the hill first (that's why it's called Mountain biking). So if I'm on a really technical steep climb, don't expect me to yield ... you all know how difficult it is to get going again on those sections. But if I see a guy whooping down a quick section having a blast and my piece of uphill won't be too difficult to saddle up again, I'm not going to spoil his/her run unnecessarily ... just ease to the side of the path and watch their line (to see if I'd prefer a different one). But we're intelligent beings, so exercise consideration (and some caution), based on the prevailing situation.

The post above says it.... respect for other riders... ascending or descending... and all is well with the world.

Bustingvomit, your attitude is going to get you serious PK from someone in CT soon... and I will applaud that day because then maybe you will learn to respect other users of a natural trail..

Guest Agteros

Climate, so you mean I should get off my 18kg Raleigh (with NO plastic bits), stand on the safe side of the slope, and wave the Raleigh in the general direction of BTS who is bombing down the hill, intent on not stopping come hell or high water...

Ok. where do I sign up? Ahh darn ...they ran out of tickets for the queue....

i used to give way to people coming uphill but i dont think it makes sense anymore, and most people coming up the hill tend to give way anyway.

when i'm riding up the singles its more technical than coming down, so its no big deal to have to learn a new technique of being able to take off on an uphill.

most of this debate seems to be taking place around the tokai singles and they all have jeep track leading to the top of them so its not compulsory to ride up the singles, in fact, the ratio of people coming down to going up them is probably 10-1 or 20-1 (not speaking of the flatter one like fairy glen) so its more unusual for some1 coming down to meet some1, than the other way around, so people coming up should be more prepared to just pull off - its not going to effect the climbers speed that much and will enable him to gain extra skill (taking off on an uphill)

Why is it arrogant? Who made up this so called rule that descenders must yield? So let me get this straight here' date=' just because I have a strong opinion about this so called ethic, and it's opposite to yours, I must tolerate your abuse?

'Jagwire' there are so many bizarre uses of the English language in your posting that I really cant take you seriously. Short of this becoming ad hominem, please explain to the Western Cape riders here what "delusions of adequacy" and "self opinionated" means.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I'm still going to not yield when I'm descending, and I'm still NOT going to greet you unless I know you. In answer to the 'Let the bigger rider past and hope he hasnt had a bad day comment', the Neanderthal  one which you agreed to Jagwire, this is 2009. Need I say more?
[/quote']

Nothing bizarre about the English usage. Your attitude does not warrant the term "delusions of grandeur." Clearly you have an inflated opinion of your own importance and believe that you are the most important person out on the trails. 

Whether you are right or wrong about any " rule" is immaterial.

It is your overall attitude which I believe displays arrogance. Particularly your view that EVERYONE is obliged to get out of YOUR way. Words such as INCONSIDERATE, SELFISH. ARROGANT,POMPOUS and OPINIONATED are good descriptions of your general attitude.

By the way I trust that you have noticed that I have not resorted to your "style" of name calling. To you the name is jagwil.

As others on this thread have pointed out you lack any form of respect or consideration for other riders and think only of your own importance. 

I have had my say and do NOT intend to engage in any further debate on this thread.
jagwil2009-04-29 14:06:42

Why is it arrogant? Who made up this so called rule that descenders must yield? So let me get this straight here' date=' just because I have a strong opinion about this so called ethic, and it's opposite to yours, I must tolerate your abuse?

[/quote']

Nothing bizarre about the English usage. Your attitude does not warrant the term "delusions of grandeur." Clearly you have an inflated opinion of your own importance and believe that you are the most important person out on the trails. 

Whether you are right or wrong about any " rule" is immaterial.

It is your overall attitude which I believe displays arrogance. Particularly your view that EVERYONE is obliged to get out of YOUR way. Words such as INCONSIDERATE, SELFISH. ARROGANT,POMPOUS and OPINIONATED are good descriptions of your general attitude.

By the way I trust that you have noticed that I have not resorted to your "style" of name calling. To you the name is jagwil.

As others on this thread have pointed out you lack any form of respect or consideration for other riders and think only of your own importance. 

I have had my say and do NOT intend to engage in any further debate on this thread.

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap