MyRace...

Eldron

So two weeks ago I applied for a bunch of licenses - since then no confirmation, no license, no email, no correspondence of any description, no nothing...

They have my cash and I have sweet blow all.

Here in the real world if one of my customers paid cash up front and heard diddly squat from me in 14 days there would be hell to pay but it would appear in the world of SA cycling poor service is the norm.

I've been in and out of the cycling game in SA for about 20 years and nothing has changed - *** service, cronyism, a favoured few, empty promises, committee after committee "improving" everything - blah blah.

I mean seriously - a few months/years ago the CSA was formed with much fanfare and promises of totally revamping cycling in South Africa. And? Nothing!

A general and pointless rant I know but in practical terms I see nothing better now than I did 15 years ago when I was filling in paper entry forms on tables at the start before racing my race...

Take up mountain biking. The people in MTB are cool, the officials are friendly and (gasp) very helpful.

Example: 'Are you licensed'? 'Yes, but I left it in the car, I'll go fetch it', 'Don't worry, we believe you, here's your number.' *actual* exchange from Sabie Classic 2008....

People can say what they like, coming from a running backround, I was astounded at the ineffeciencies of CSA when I started having to deal with them a few years back and thats just in a personal capacity - nothings changed, I only got my license (after 3 months) cos I phoned and swore blue murder, maybe I didnt need it, but I paid for it and I want it - finished.

Agreed, were I to take a clients money for 14 days and not even provide confirmation never mind the service, I would close my doors in 6 months - but thats private business - bureaucracies like CSA have no incentive to perform, unlike private business they have the luxury of sitting back and collecting funds without delivering a timeous service.

And then they duplicate other cyclists' licences. I have an extra one that arrived at the club secretary two weeks ago - but I've had my lic. since January.

Take up mountain biking. The people in MTB are cool' date=' the officials are friendly and (gasp) very helpful.

Example: 'Are you licensed'? 'Yes, but I left it in the car, I'll go fetch it', 'Don't worry, we believe you, here's your number.' *actual* exchange from Sabie Classic 2008....

[/quote']

Good to hear intern. This is however changing. Roadie mentallity is starting to creep into the mtb scene. Dead

Take up mountain biking. The people in MTB are cool' date=' the officials are friendly and (gasp) very helpful.
Example: 'Are you licensed'? 'Yes, but I left it in the car, I'll go fetch it', 'Don't worry, we believe you, here's your number.' *actual* exchange from Sabie Classic 2008.... [/quote']

I do more MTB than road and you are quite right.

The difference between road and MTB is PASSION!

Some more generalisations but mtb feels more like a bunch of overgrown kids on an adventure than a race - it doesn't make the racing any less competitive though! Road riding seems to be more about improving your seeding without helping anyone else.

Thehub is a great example of this - mtb races get rave reviews whilst road races get reviews like "he sat on my tail the whole race not working at all then outsprinted me for the line - next time I'm going to switch him or not point out a pothole".

The proof is in the pudding - mtb has grown incredibly over the last few years - stage racing, 24 hour races, festivals etc. It's awesome. The Magalies Monster got to their 1,100 riders 2 weeks before the event!

Road racing? Going backwards - apart from the fun rides (94.7, Argus, Panorama Tour etc.). Of course other factors are at play - road congestion, taxis, generally unsafe training conditions

Track racing? 7 riders in the combined ladies masters cat at SA's? Shocking. The other categories were not much better - less than 10 riders per cat in most races. Gauteng road champs was also poorly attended...

More pointless rambling from me Smile

service is shocking. I applied for my licence last december and still haven't received it!!

Example: 'Are you licensed'? 'Yes, but I left it in the car, I'll go fetch it', 'Don't worry, we believe you, here's your number.' *actual* exchange from Sabie Classic 2008.... [/quote']

I do more MTB than road and you are quite right.

The difference between road and MTB is PASSION!

Some more generalisations but mtb feels more like a bunch of overgrown kids on an adventure than a race - it doesn't make the racing any less competitive though! Road riding seems to be more about improving your seeding without helping anyone else.

Thehub is a great example of this - mtb races get rave reviews whilst road races get reviews like "he sat on my tail the whole race not working at all then outsprinted me for the line - next time I'm going to switch him or not point out a pothole".

The proof is in the pudding - mtb has grown incredibly over the last few years - stage racing, 24 hour races, festivals etc. It's awesome. The Magalies Monster got to their 1,100 riders 2 weeks before the event!

Road racing? Going backwards - apart from the fun rides (94.7, Argus, Panorama Tour etc.). Of course other factors are at play - road congestion, taxis, generally unsafe training conditions

Track racing? 7 riders in the combined ladies masters cat at SA's? Shocking. The other categories were not much better - less than 10 riders per cat in most races. Gauteng road champs was also poorly attended...

More pointless rambling from me Smile

i think you'r wrong there in the Masters 50+ (men) there were 15 entries, you can't go by what you saw on tv, most of what was shown, was the end of races when a lot of riders had dropped out of the race.

BTW - how many riders in the ladies/master cat at Mtb Sa's????