Will more "float" on pedals reduce side knee/ITB ?

ASTANA

Will more float reduce the risk of ITB and side knee pain ??  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Will more float reduce the risk of ITB and side knee pain ??

• Yes - Tried and tested (Bike 100% correct setup)
    • Yes makes sence (setup 100% seat height etc)
    • No - made mine worse (setup 100% seat height etc)
    • No - does not sound right - not related

I have been using Look Quartz pedals since they were launched and as things stand I wion't be going back to SPD's ever.

Had them on my Ibis and never once suffered accidental clip out. Have them on and off my Mbuzi and not even Cobra (Tokai) or Delvera's worst bits can shake them loose. Cleat has been wearing a bit faster than shimano's (10 vs 12months), but nothing to drastic.

My riding buddy and his wife uses them and they feel the same. NO mo' spd's.

Would you shoose Crankbrothers Eggbeater or Look Quartz ? Heart the eggbeters break easier when hitting rocks. Here in WC we have some rocky parts!

Been riding with XT pedals now - is the any differnce between them and the Look's - on pics they look almost like the same kind of setup. is it only float that differ ?

I'm with "The Crow" on this one.

If you take time to setup the shims on the Look cleats, you should not have a problem with accidental unclipping.

I've been riding my Quartz pedals for quite some time now, and have been happy from the start.

And every single customer that have tried them, have been happy with my recommendation.

Had this conversation at a fair amount of length with Geoff the Aussie and he is firmly of the opinion that if all is set up right, and your pedal stroke has been optimised, float can be zero.

Me on the other hand, I have a stroke like someone doing butterfly on a rugby field so LOOOTS of float for me please.

Would you shoose Crankbrothers Eggbeater or Look Quartz ? Heart the eggbeters break easier when hitting rocks. Here in WC we have some rocky parts!

Been riding with XT pedals now - is the any differnce between them and the Look's - on pics they look almost like the same kind of setup. is it only float that differ ?

I havent used  the Eggbeaters before. But most guys seems to be happy with them.  Some say there is some bearing problems or service issues. Don't know.

Look Quartz is light, cheap and a lot of float(way more than SPD). Two negs for me is that I found them to unclip and they grind off at the contact point with shoe. The Crow seems to have good experience so maybe test them and see what works for your riding style.

Mellow2009-05-21 05:29:42

Love the eggbeaters.

And a full rebuild kit is only about R150, every 18 - 24 months or so in my experience (yes I ride quite a bit)

Eggbeaters and Quartz is not really "float". The different angled cleats just gives you more twist before it releases. Otherwords, if you start twisting your foot, the release sequins is starting and depending on the angle of the cleat, that is how far you have to two to get it out completely. SPDd have float. There float does not affect the clamps at all and you really have to twist to get out.

Ok - ASTANA -- your explanation confirmed what I thought.

If I were you -- i would do a video analysis of what exactly is happening at your ONE knee when you change position on the bike. In what way do the mechanics of movement in the two positions change, and in such a way that you experience pain. Because standing and pedalling on the bike doesnt equal the dynamics of full weightbearing/walking/running.

SO ...i'd say, before you change pedals (which will then result in change on both legs, where you have only unilateral pain) - get a more specific answer to what EXACTLY is causing you the unilateral pain.

Its like with a headache. You can get it from being sick, having a brain tumor, or just drinking too much. SO your remedy must be specific to the problem ... even though all those circumstances result in the same symptom: ie headache, or in your case -- pain in the area of the ITB
Ronelle2009-05-21 06:22:09

You must also remember that with any person left and right is not the same

my left foot turn out  is 12degrees and right is 15 degrees

I have been riding tome since 2001 and havent had knee problems and I would really ride any other pedals except egg beaters.

Any pedal that uses a copper cleat  wears into the knee angle you with in time.

However I dont think the problem will go towards the ITB side.  

Big difference between Looks and SPD's. The lloks are closer to Time pedals. CB have great back-up in Shamus, but they are not as relaible and long-lasting as Shimano and the Looks have proven themself to be.

I have the carbon Looks and have smacked them against plenty of times. I run a lot of sag so my BB is lower than most so I do suffer the odd rock strike or 30. Again, never had an issue. Pedals are still going strong. Will replace the cleats soon...it's been over a year now.

CB's will not and have not lasted the same amount of abuse.

Back to the topic: set-up your bike first. Then go with what works for you. I've run 0 float and 5 degrees and actually prefered 0.

Ok - ASTANA -- your explanation confirmed what I thought.

If I were you -- i would do a video analysis of what exactly is happening at your ONE knee when you change position on the bike. In what way do the mechanics of movement in the two positions change' date=' and in such a way that you experience pain. Because standing and pedalling on the bike doesnt equal the dynamics of full weightbearing/walking/running.

SO ...i'd say, before you change pedals (which will then result in change on both legs, where you have only unilateral pain) - get a more specific answer to what EXACTLY is causing you the unilateral pain.

Its like with a headache. You can get it from being sick, having a brain tumor, or just drinking too much. SO your remedy must be specific to the problem ... even though all those circumstances result in the same symptom: ie headache, or in your case -- pain in the area of the ITB
[/quote']

Yes! Plenty of people have a funny action. Video yourself from the back. Make sure your stroke is even and that your knee doesn't "wobble" at a certain point.

Could just be bad action and not have anything to do with float or your pedals or set-up for that matter.

Knee that wobbles=weak stabilizing muscles

the thing I like about time is the float is not "loose"

my cleats are so old and worn I have loads of movement of my foot when I am clipped in.

is this a bad thing

It is when you accidentally unclip when standing out of the saddle.

Worn cleats lead to accidents.

This happened after more than a year and a half riding. so stabilizing muscles is not the issue I think at this point.

Would just want to know about the float issue. On a MTB there is more play/movement but on road you can be more fixed into the pedal.

My Poll is going like the DA elections in the EC. thanx for my loyal supporters !