Creaking Frame

Mackie

My bloody frame is creaking, I have cleaned and lubed all the bits, but it still creaks, sound the same as when you overtighten a bolt that popping/creaking/cracking sound. Mostly when I am out the saddle or pedalling hard.

Do I contact the agents first or the shop where I bought it.

Its a 2008 GT Zaskar Expert.
mackiemoo2009-05-22 04:55:01

CREAK, or CREAKING...

where's the creak coming from?

It could be something as simple as the BB being too loose, or too tight... Could also be crank bolts (on the spider as well as the main crank bolt)

That'd definitely explain the creaking when under power...

creaking... oh, and go straight to the agent, the frame is cracked... either that, or you need to service your fork...

It sound's like it is coming from the rear triangle or where the saet tube. My BB's never been touched as has my crank, only fitted KCNC crank bolts, waaay befor the creak started.

i had a similar problem and took a while to sort it out.

it was the locking bolts on left crank arm.

took it out , put a bit of grease on and just nipped it tight and go for a short ride.

try it, might be the same problem

What a lot of okes don't realise is that you can get a great creak coming from the front or rear axle if there is a bit of dust in there or if the QR is not sufficiently tight. Just clean the axles out nicely (as well as the dropout) adn you could find the problem solved just like that.

I thought my frame was cracked but it turned out to be the seat post which had some muck between it and the frame.

I cleaned it up, greased and cleaned again and it was sorted.

What a lot of okes don't realise is that you can get a great creak coming from the front or rear axle if there is a bit of dust in there or if the QR is not sufficiently tight. Just clean the axles out nicely (as well as the dropout) adn you could find the problem solved just like that.

Yeah, had that on the Prince once. drove me freakin nuts till I figured it out...

Sounds easy enough will give it a whirl and revert. Now for a dumb@ss question....whats a QR?

I thought my frame was cracked but it turned out to be the seat post which had some muck between it and the frame.

I cleaned it up' date=' greased and cleaned again and it was sorted.

[/quote']

I had that ones too, on a Zini, and I also thought it must be the seatpost, bars something... turned out it was a cracked frame when the top tube broke 20kms from home...

Sounds easy enough will give it a whirl and revert. Now for a dumb@ss question....whats a QR?

quick release... you know that small lever sticking out of the axle?

TNT12009-05-22 05:20:14

Check your pedals, I had a pair that could make the frame vibrate, they were so rough at one stage...

Swopped my pedals out the problem was gone, it also only happened when I stood, and put the power down..

When I get creaking noises, I remove crank and BB, clean, grease re-install and it goes away.

So do this and give your bike a good bath and lubing.

Check your cleats on your shoes.

I had the same problem a few weeks back. I sent my bike in to be cleaned and the BB to be serviced as it sounded like the creaking noise was coming from the BB. It was fine for a few days and then the noise started again.

Then I remembered the time that I had a similar situation, which went away after replacing my cleats. So I swapped the cleats on my shoes and sprayed a bit of Q20 on them and now my bike is nice a quiet again.