Name BAD Cycle shops

Pappa Bear

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was noob to cycling and had a R800 rand speed machine (about two years ago), I went to the lbs for a service. They replaced the vee-brakes without telling me and just placed it on the bill. The bill came to R500, The bike was worth about R800.

I asked about light weight wheels, the owner was in the shop and just about ignored me. Maybe it was my bike ? he had some chirp, ya they are light and that was it. No explanation of weight, strength, etc, etc

That was the last time I ever went to that shop.

Since then, I have probably spent thousands on bike parts and bikes. I make a point never to use that particular bike shop again, ever.

I wont name them, but maybe this post will make the bike shop peeps aware that all customers are important. Even if they are new to cycling and have *** bikes, since they could turn out to be very big customers later on.

If I get K@K service from anyone (not only from a cycling shop) I make sure I return with in two day. First thing I say to the salesperson (make sure it?s the same one)? ?The last time I was here the service was really K@K ! I hope you improved, anyway can you help me with ?bla?bla?bla?<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

In the same breath I just want to mention that my LBS is TOP?S !! Thanks to Eben and his team !

Since then' date=' I have probably spent thousands on bike parts and bikes. I make a point never to use that particular bike shop again, ever.

I wont name them, but maybe this post will make the bike shop peeps aware that all customers are important. Even if they are new to cycling and have *** bikes, since they could turn out to be very big customers later on.
[/quote']

When I was just a struggeling student I worked part time for a bakery supply company, one day I missed a delivery to a very small cafe who bought about two bags of consumables a week.

The next day the director, nogal, asked me why I missed this cafe, I told him the truth, it was late and a major retailer needed their supply before 5pm, so I skipped the cafe, did he complain I asked.

No, he didnt but let me tell you something young man - (and what he told me has been with me over 30 years now) - "never ignore the little guy, because he could end up been the next corner Spar, and we loose him forever as a customer."

That (then) privately owned bakery company is now one of the biggest around, and part of the Bidvest group.

I think its the same with the public as you say Mudda, he ignored you and you took your business elsewhere.

My bank account is being drained on a daily bases with bike stuff....

I'll pay for what I want, but I want to pay a fair price. R350 for a full service, then I think it should be damn spectacular, because I think 350 bucks is a lot of money.

I've gotten my bike back from a few shops after a MAJOR service, only to redo the job myself.....slowly but surely, I'm servicing my bike myself, buying a new tool every time I visit a bike shop....after I'm done with my bike, it looks brand spanking new after a mud fest or 50km ride...apart from the "newly added" battle scars....

Bike shops will not give your bike back the way YOU WOULD WANT IT BACK...forget it....we all have different yardsticks of what is a good job and what is not...no need in shaming the shops...having said that....one shop assitant might be great and another might suck....I've had such experience numerous of times where I would spend a long time chatting and getting advice on parts and how to service some stuff on the bike....the same shop with another assitant can very easily fark up the whole "bonding with your LBS" experience.....making you start all over again....

And oh yes...CRC and other online shops are making buying online hassle free....I saved almost R3k ordering from them as oppossed to buying locally....fellow MTBer at work put in his order today and will be saving R7k......I have decided that any new bike part will be sourced from online shops.....local shops are just tooo expensive.....and I really feel sorry for them....honestly, I do...

I'll pay for what I want' date=' but I want to pay a fair price. R350 for a full service, then I think it should be damn spectacular, because I think 350 bucks is a lot of money.

I've gotten my bike back from a few shops after a MAJOR service, only to redo the job myself.....

[/quote']

Not meaning to be nasty, but how can you expect the shop to strip down the bike completely, clean everything, re-grease and/or replace all the bearings for R350? How long does it take to strip a bike, clean everything, re-lube and put it all back together? Not an hour, that's for sure! I'm happy paying R700+ labour for a service, if it's done to my desired standard, which means the bike will be as good as new when I get it back. I've had a service cost me over R2k, but that included a new Suntour fork and a chain, so the labour was less than R600.

What's the old saying about peanuts and monkeys again?

Here I must give Karsten Cycles in Pretoria a pat on the back.

The loved one took in my bike to be build for me, so that I had a bike to ride the Bela Bela, although only the 63km race funride.EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

Embarrassed

Had no hassles with my bike.  Gears were setup properly as well as being clean with no scratches or nicks.  Petri even added some artistic flair to the bike.   

That said, we must watch what we say about LBS's,  salndering a LBS, makes you liable for defamation of character,  and you may find yourself in court

DAMMMM!!!!!!AngryAngryAngryAngry

Had another bad experience yesterday.......

Now this is an typical example of INCOMPETENCE:

I have asked this bike shop to replace the spring in my MZ Downhill Fork with a stronger one..... easy huh?  Now this is what they did: THe opened my fork left the same springs, inserted a section of another stiffer spring at the top / bottom..... Now this sounds OK...... but this is the result:  My 200mm travel is now restricted to 160mm since the stronger piece of spring will not compress, MZ will not cover any warranty issues on the fork since it was modified....NOT the standard parts and procedure used to increase the spring stiffness....

So this is what I did - I gave the tech a mouth full and asked him if they will buy me a new fork since MZ will not cover any warranty issues if any thing happens to the fork.....

AND told him to phone the MZ supplier in RSA, get the right part and install it......I had to give him the part no. since he was clueless.....HUming and AHAHing......

The manager of the shop is back on Monday - so I will take it up with him as well.....

The main problem for me is:

1.  Loosing my warranty if I were to used their modifications in my fork

2.  Decreasing the travel of my 200mm fork to 160mm - THIS JUST SHOWS THAT THEY DO NOT GRASP THE SITUATION / MECHANICS......

3.  Doing fork mods (shortcuts) and not following the manufactures guidelines.....

OK that was a mouthfull...CHEERS!

I'll pay for what I want' date=' but I want to pay a fair price. R350 for a full service, then I think it should be damn spectacular, because I think 350 bucks is a lot of money.

I've gotten my bike back from a few shops after a MAJOR service, only to redo the job myself.....

[/quote']

Not meaning to be nasty, but how can you expect the shop to strip down the bike completely, clean everything, re-grease and/or replace all the bearings for R350? How long does it take to strip a bike, clean everything, re-lube and put it all back together? Not an hour, that's for sure! I'm happy paying R700+ labour for a service, if it's done to my desired standard, which means the bike will be as good as new when I get it back. I've had a service cost me over R2k, but that included a new Suntour fork and a chain, so the labour was less than R600.

For me? 10 min to strip my whole bike...

This can take a while, but it should not take longer than 30min....

I'll consider cleaning and re-lubing as one.....so its part of the 30min...this excludes the chain of course....

Aahh....here is where the BIG fark up comes and its where one see how quickly and carefully they worked on your bike.....but I would say another 10 to 15 minutes ...

So, there.....some shops will have your gears screwed...others will have them sooo spot on after the service....anyway....all I'm saying is that I do not see the need to have my bike serviced for R350, but serviced well/properly for R700....

Shops ask R200/service just to lube and wash the bike, its madness...that's rediculous....then why not have a "drive-thru" bike service centre, cause that take less then 10min to do, not a whole day....now there is a good idea for someone here to capitalize on.....

Its a pity I can't pay myself for the work I do on my bike....Angry

...........Just a question.

Is a bike mechanic a recognised trade?

I have sort of looked and cant see anything that says it is.

So, basically (if its not recognised) this is considered an UNSKILLED profession, which means rates are way lower than say car mechanics who do undergo a recognised trade exam.

Not many recognised and trade certified car mechanics earning R350.00 an hour HOG.

Ita all about economics and related fees, a GP cant charge the same rates as a Neurosurgeon, an "unskilled" (said in the kindest sense) bike mechanic cannot charge what a skilled BMW motor mechanic can, I am not pointing fingers, but R350.00 an hour for a bike service seems already a bit pricy dont you think.!?

When I was noob to cycling and had a R800 rand speed machine (about two years ago)' date=' I went to the lbs for a service. They replaced the vee-brakes without telling me and just placed it on the bill. The bill came to R500, The bike was worth about R800.

I asked about light weight wheels, the owner was in the shop and just about ignored me. Maybe it was my bike ? he had some chirp, ya they are light and that was it. No explanation of weight, strength, etc, etc

Since then, I have probably spent thousands on bike parts and bikes. I make a point never to use that particular bike shop again, ever.

[/quote']

Very good point.

This morning I paid for a brand spanking new Mongoose Caanan Team, where did I buy it from. Certainly not the shop that tried to skrew me over for an XTR d?railleur, but rather the shop that did fix the derailleur. Wink

[/quote']

For me? 10 min to strip my whole bike...

This can take a while, but it should not take longer than 30min....

I'll consider cleaning and re-lubing as one.....so its part of the 30min...this excludes the chain of course....

Aahh....here is where the BIG fark up comes and its where one see how quickly and carefully they worked on your bike.....but I would say another 10 to 15 minutes ...

So, there.....some shops will have your gears screwed...others will have them sooo spot on after the service....anyway....all I'm saying is that I do not see the need to have my bike serviced for R350, but serviced well/properly for R700....
Shops ask R200/service just to lube and wash the bike, its madness...that's rediculous....then why not have a "drive-thru" bike service centre, cause that take less then 10min to do, not a whole day....now there is a good idea for someone here to capitalize on.....

Its a pity I can't pay myself for the work I do on my bike....Angry

since you view bicycle servicing as a race, i certainly wouldn't want you working on mine. i believe i spend more time in a bike shop than most, and your comment about "Shops ask R200/service just to lube and wash the bike" is soooooo wide of the mark.

I take a week to give mine a minor service. I do one thing an evening and by the time it's time to ride the weekend, it's done.

For all of you moaners and groaners I can only say..... stop slobbering at the mouth waiting for 7e Laan or Egoli to start and get off your lazy @sses and start doing the work yourself. That way if the service is poor or the job is not well done ya can kick ya own @ss!!!!!!!!!

Oom Big H: jissie PM my dan vertel ek jou alles wat in Egoli gaan gebeur- julle is mos twee weke agter of is dit nou anders omConfusedLOL

Sallie weettie ek service my fiets in daai tyd of lees op oor hoe die goetters inmekaar steek om nie sodoende 'n poepol te maak van myself soos Pappa Beer nie. PB gaan kyk bietjie mooi weer na hoe disk brake mount adaptors werk en jy verstaan hoekom ek so se!!!!!!

If you spend every night working on your bike.........you are doing something wrong Shocked Oom........

Hoe werk calipar adapet brackets?