MTB upside down back to front shifting !

NotSoBigBen

Have recently acquired a set of XT shifters (Trigger) and an XTR rear derailleaur at a very reasonable price. I want to replace my existing Deore shifters and XT RD with these but some questions come to mind :-

1) Will there be any benefit, i.e. will I feel a definite improvement in shifting performance?

2) Will it be a mission to adapt to the XTR rapid rise 'wrong' way round shifting?

3) What about when I jump between my SRAM X9 trigger Specialized and my now XTR upside down shift Fuji?

4) Is it worth the effort (1-2 hours I guess) to do the conversion?

Much of this is of course hypothetical as I have spent the cash so will have to do it anyway but it would be nice to know if anyone has experience with this change / setup!!!!!

Would not touch that SRAM stuff !!! But we had a gentleman from the Cape a few months ago and because we r such a nice bunch we put him on a Trek with the XTR goodies . After the ride he was very upset that we have installed the shifter "upside down" . But I am sure you'll get use to them very fast . One to two hours away from your local pub might not be such a bad idea !

hey d-r, interesting to hear you vehimence regarding not using Sram, why so anti ?

Please don't answer the way a certain other member of the board does, by saying that Shimano is the only thing to use simply because a famous ex-cyclist did smileys/smiley2.gif

smileys/smiley36.gif Yeah that too . It is actaully very simple . I got two DS bikes in my garage . One RDS shimano equiped and one NRS SRAM . They both more or less on the same level I.E LX and S7 . The NRS is my GF's bike and she rides like a girl (obvioussmileys/smiley36.gif) but got much  more problems with DT than me with my very reliable LX stuff . There seems to be less "chain slap" on the SRAM kit but with my RDS it is not a real benefit as I got no bottom arm that the chain can hit .

Ok so SRAM is lighter by a few grams and that also appeals to the weight weenies . 

Hmmm, it appears that S-Series Sram stuff, which competes directly with Shimano (and is Shimano compatible) is what everybody seems to consider inferior.

The X-Series stuff, however, I understand to be a little bit of a cut above the S-Series stuff. This is not compatible with Shimano.

I had a look at the new SRAM offerings and must admit it looks awesome ! But I have found that the steel , heavier steel stuff works best for my style of balls to the wall riding ! These fancy carbon , titanium stuff does not work for me .

I can attest to that - the last time I ever saw you in the "flesh" was when you started descending that rocky little big downhill at the Logwood classic - left me standing, and I wasn't taking it easy.

That would have been one of the instances where I thought that going for a new DS rig was something that must happen immenently.

BB I can not really give you answers . Just do it and then you can give us some answers !smileys/smiley2.gif

OK then I'll take the plunge tonight and report tomorrow after the morning training ride! Must be honest that I do like the SRAM 'X' push push shifting on my Specialized, just seems that the Shimano kit on my Fuji needs more TLC to keep it shifting 'crisp'!

Never touched the SRAM stuff in all 4 days of the Sabia Classic in December, just a wash now and then! Must be honest though that I don't think that I ride any faster or slower using either so as the old saying goes 'if you keep it maintained and looked after most kit will do the job it is intended for'.

So I did it! Not too complicated but did take about an hour. Cleaned all gear outers with Q20 while the cables were out. Removed the grips by injecting some water under to make them easier to get off. Put all the new stuff on, grips back with hairspray. Cables and outers back and connect!

Now to the ride this morning! Yes it does feel very strange shifting the 'other' way round, shifting up to easier gears does definitely feel quicker and smoother. By the end of the ride (1 hour) I was pretty much into it but not shifting correctly by 'intuition' yet, rather have to hesitate and think before shifting. It is not the most technical ride but I will be riding the Rietclei zoo farm course for the upocoming Gauteng interclub race on the 19th this weekend and then I will ride a few laps with each bike and see how it goes!

On a totally dfferent note, we leave home at 5 and as you will know it is still pretty dark at that time. I do have a front light but even so picture the following :-

Riding along a gentle downhill jeep track when I ride full on into a large tree trunk that some @#$%$% has placed directly across the 2 tracks. Wacked my knee a fair shot on the handlebar but other than that no harm done.Problem of course is that by the time I saw it in my bikes light it was too late to brake enough or even attempt evasive action. Now before the usual you should be careful on a jeep track, we have ridden it twice a week at least for the last 10 years and there was no 'obstacle' there! I get the impression that people do this and other trail stopping tactics to prevent Quads and motocross bikes from using them and making a noise (it is in a residential area!). Problem (for the trail jackers that is!) of course is that on the way back in the light we notice that the quads have just made a new path around it!

Ouch! At least it wasn't a more serious crash!

Where do you live? Western suburbs? We have a number of green belts around us, was wondering if it was there...

Sorry to hear that BigBen....well, guess that Specialized will have to find a new home now....and I just remembered I'm taking care of one already and I'm sure I can make place for one more....smiley4.gif

Sorry Marius the Specialized is the SRAM equiped one and I surely would not have subjected the red rocket to this mornings torture! Nope that was on my Fuji HT with the Shimano goodies on. Not sure you want to place that beside your Specialized?smiley2.gif