Recovery from blood donation

Sonic

Yeah' date=' *** that, why don't they pay us for our blood like they do in other contries!?!? I'm not giving my blood away for free![/quote']

God forbid you or one of your loved ones is in an accident and is in need of blood - lets see how quickly your attitude changes when there is no blood available. smiley7.gif

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

word, I pay my medical Aid every month and it's not cheap. So, if and when I am in a accident my Medical Aid should take care of that. I don't understand why we should give it away for free when we pay a crap load of money already for Medial Aid?

You are only allowed to donate once every 8 weeks - if you recovered quicker than that, they would reduce the 8 week period.

Sheesh, this crowd is really amazing !! Apply the letter of the law as in 52 days or whatever.

But heaven forbid trying to apply the letter of the law when at  stop streets, both in your cars and on your bikes.

Just donate and ride.

interesting fact - they limit donations for runners (if I recall, 2 weeks before and after for a half marathon - 21km and 4 weeks before and after for a full marathon). they probably don't do the same for cycling as distances are not regulated so it's more difficult to put standards in place. I wouldn't donate any less than a week before an event but you need to consider the long term implications of regular donations. I stopped donating about 6 months ago because of feeling run down. I also believe that it takes months for anemia to develop and as long to rectify it - just not worth the hassle.

it's great to help others, but donors are not assisted if they end up with health problems relating to donating and they are no longer guaranteed free blood should they need a transfusion. They do need to put better incentives in place to get people to donate (not necessarily money, but how about something like discounts for vitamins / food supplements?)

I help ppl all the time, but not with blood, that's mine! Do you have any idea how much it cost to get my RBC count to 50% ?!!?!?LOLWink

Other countries have incentives, Money or you even get a day of work. In any event, I race every weekend, so I can't afford to donate.

First time donator a week before this years Kremetart, now i know why i had such a cr@p race. scotty2009-06-10 04:42:06

the price you silly lot pay for racing your bikes.

if you took it easy and rehydrated alot during the race you would be fine.

60 days.

then the blood you have in you will be of a better quality, provided you dont go and poisen it with alcohol and dagga....

Different people will react to donations differently and recover at different rates.

You, yourself will find that sometimes it affects you differently to other times.

Since blood donation (and I am assumng whole blood, or a pint of red blood) takes away some of the Heamoglobin or red cells, it affects your body's ability to transport oxygen to you rmuscles which will be working during exercise and therefore need more oxygen. You will no doubt feel "flat" or tired.

I used to donate blood and found that it could affect me for up to two weeks afterwards. When I made the connection to feeling flat and donating blood, I stopped donating blood until I stopped running.

Then when I started running again, I became a platelet donor. There was little noticeable adverse effect after donating platelets and plasma as opposed to donating whole blood.

You will probably feel tired during even a short race, so I suggest you look to taking it easy, or changing your donation pattern so that you donate at leats two weeks before an event to give yourself enouugh time to recover.

BTW. I think blood donor are cool people. Thumbs%20Up

60 days.

then the blood you have in you will be of a better quality' date=' provided you dont go and poisen it with alcohol and dagga....
[/quote']

hehe.. not true.

your body recycles blood all the time.

guess where dead blood cells go?